ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Archives (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   OK, we are unlikely to go to the playoffs.....So why still cheer the CHIEFS???? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=11103)

BroncoFan 12-04-2000 08:07 PM

Ok, So the season is not going well :(
Yes I know that might be an understatement :D

So why do you keep cheering the CHIEFS?
Why do you care??

So lets here your story again, as to why you stand by the CHIEFS!

me?

I cheer them because my mom was and is a DIEHARD fan. She went to both SB's, was there for the longest game. And all tru the lean years of the late 70's & early 80's her and I could always be found at a CHIEFS game. It was our solitude and escape from a bad home. No matter what MY team does, I will always have fond feelings towards them for it.

Ok I know it's a little sappy, but it is true.

so lets hear your reasons<BR>

DoktorSmith 12-05-2000 09:07 AM

Set the wayback machine for the mid-70s. A much younger Gaz was starting to watch the NFL, but he needed a team he could watch every week. For you children out there, this was before satellite TV.

In DooDah, Kansas, my choices were the Chiefs or the Cowboys. I didn't really care one way or the other, but the Cowboys were touting themselves as "America's Team." That hubris did not sit well with me, so I opted for the Chiefs.

Over time [okay, a couple of games] that casual decision hardened to full-blown Homerism. I was hooked, even though the Chiefs generally sucked. I have bleed red and peed gold ever since that fateful decision.

I chat with football fans in the Real World and on the BBs about how the coaching staff has ruined this team. I tell them candidly that the best thing for the long-term success of the team would be for us to lose every remaining game. I state truthfully that we are not going to the playoffs and that we have degenerated into a bad team. I have lost faith.

And then the game starts and I am a Chiefs Homer again. Yelling and cheering, raising my fist in victory and slumping my shoulders in defeat.

Why do I keep cheering for the Chiefs? It is very simple.

Because they are my team.

xoxo~
gaz
creature of habit.<BR>

Gaz 12-05-2000 09:20 AM

Today is the first day this year I have worn my Chiefs jacket. I don't really know why I chose today. I think I just want to show my undying support for a frustrating and underachieving team. Maybe I want to strike up conversations with people who might have seen last night's game? Maybe to set straight those people who haven't seen Grbac play more than one game this season, and tell them he is a good QB? Maybe just to vent about the coaching staff? But most of all, to tell those who will listen, that the CHIEFS WILL BE BACK and that I will have been with them all along!

Today marks the beginning of the 2001 season IMO. You'd better believe I'm not happy it has come about so soon, but with a new coaching staff, maybe a new GM, a feature HB and an aggressive D featuring Maz at MLB we might all forget about "last" season. GOOOOO CHIEFS 2001!!!

Hey, I can dream can't I? http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

j molina 12-05-2000 09:21 AM

Well said Gaz, mirrors my thought exactly. I was secretly hoping as the game started that the CHiefs would pull it out and even at the end of the game wanted a TD. This despite my lobbying to my girlfriend to root against the Chiefs till the end of the season (for better draft position, new coaching staff).

As for my story, I was born in 1977. You old timers know about that year right? (The weekend after I was born we got our 1st win against San Diego). I was taken to my first game (1978) before I could even remember what was going on. As I left that stage of life I call justifiable invalidity, I learned certain values that I think all of us learn in the midwest. Loyalty, devotion, love your community and family no matter how bad they are. My dad was a big Chiefs fan, so I would watch games with him on Sunday. I was one of those kids on the play ground who would get ganged up on as I defended the Chiefs against countless Cowboy, 49er, and Raider fans. Since that time those values applied to my football team. I have always been a Chiefs/Royals/Jayhawk fan and I always will be. I will never change teams. Ever.

BigChiefsFan 12-05-2000 09:27 AM

I was a small lad, and my grandfather took me aside. He said, “Mark, you are three things: a memeber of this family, an American, and a Chiefs fan. Your family is something you had no choice over, but they will always be there. You’re an American because that’s where you were born, but you’ll find there’s no better place to live. But you’re a Chiefs fan because, if not, I’ll kick your a$$ , no matter how bad they are.” The guy had just re-upped his season tickets and knew the team would suck. But his messge that day was that, no matter what happened, you stick with what you beleive in. Your family will piss you off, but you still spend Christmas with them. Your country pisses you off, yet you still salute the flag. Your team pisses you off, yet you still root for them. It’s something that you are, not something you just turn on and off like a switch. If you do,then you’re an observer, not a fan.

MM
--It’s in the genes.

[This message has been edited by Mark M (edited 12-05-2000).]

j molina 12-05-2000 09:31 AM

That was beautiful Mark.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 12-05-2000 09:46 AM

Because Jan Stenerud, Len Dawson, Otis Taylor and others toook the time to go to Podunk, Missouri and meet the kids.

Because my grandfather helped construct the stadium and for my 9th birthday present, took me to the first game played in Arrowhead.

Because it's in my blood now, and try as I might, I cannot turn down the volume or the emotions that surface every time I see them play.

Because they're my team.

BroncoFan 12-05-2000 10:23 AM

Hey guys,
Great posts! Mark I'm tempted to copy yours and share it with a few people, It has a lot of meaning beyond football. Your Gramps sounded like a heck of a guy.

I know It's a very bad day in CHIEFS land, but Com'on guys lets here your reasons. It won't change the season but it might just help us get tru it a little easier.

Now that we are "out of the playoffs" for good, I can sit back and cheer for my team, because they are still MY TEAM!

CHIEF1 12-05-2000 10:26 AM

Because I can't help myself. It's been in my blood too long. Also, when I was about 5ys old, my Dad took me down to the grocery store where Otis Taylor was signing autographs. (Way back when, pro players did this stuff for free) They had a stack of 8X10 glossy b/w photos that Otis was passing out. I remember being a little scared of this huge man. I got a photo, and Otis signed it "To Greg, best of luck." He probably signed about 20-30 of those pics that day. He was a very nice man. I took that photo and put it in my 'shrine'. (A shelf with all of my sports stuff.) I will always be a Chiefs fan.

rh :mad:

[This message has been edited by redhed (edited 12-05-2000).]

Fat Homer 12-05-2000 10:31 AM

Hey, it's kind of like marriage...till death do us part...I don't believe in divorces...and no matter how hard the times may be...I still love the old team...the red and gold looks as good now as it did when we first met...

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

BigChiefsFan 12-05-2000 10:48 AM

JOhn--
Thanks. Even though he passed away when I was 12, I managed to gain a wealth of experience from him. The man kept his tickets through the worst, as did my grandmother after him. I see no reason to break that line.

Please feel free to pass it on to any fan of any team who feels like he/she can't take it anymore.

MM
--Keeping the Dye tradition alive.

[This message has been edited by Mark M (edited 12-05-2000).]

TEX 12-05-2000 11:31 AM

I will keep cheering and cussing the chiefs because, well, I don't know...I just AM a chief fan. My week seems to be determined by the outcome of the last game..if they win..i'm happy and things look good, if they lose...well, you wouldn't want to b!T** about one of my projects today...

I don't know for sure WHY the play poorly when they do, I don't always know what should be done to correct the problems...

What I DO know is that from the time I was a boy, I've liked the Chiefs and was irritated by the kids who grabbed the "team of the week" redkins 1 year, cowboys, 49er, raiders...

I know that I hate the raiders and the broncos...and for that reason alone, i know I MUST keep the faith...If they only win 4 games a year..those are my choices..