ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Washington DC and The Holy Land (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Religion Why people laugh at Creationists (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263068)

Dave Lane 08-31-2012 06:24 PM

Why people laugh at Creationists
 
Taking a lead from Killer Clown I thought I'd create a alternative thread to post some videos I like...

[EDIT New video here]

So on with the show:

Here's the Kent Hovind Theory:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uvprBLhJx_o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions simply because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

Dave Lane 08-31-2012 06:25 PM

More of Kent Hovind being Powned

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YKdfeP1sGIg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dave Lane 08-31-2012 06:28 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r6w2M50_Xdk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BucEyedPea 08-31-2012 06:29 PM

Why people laugh at Evangelical Atheists.

Baby Lee 08-31-2012 06:33 PM

Dave Lane thanks God for Religious people, for without them to hate it's just a long slow plod to the grave.

Dave Lane 08-31-2012 06:33 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r6w2M50_Xdk?list=UUh9g56Xhr_OKqZKxN4b4KrQ&amp;hl=en_US" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dave Lane 08-31-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 8869170)
Dave Lane thanks God for Religious people, for without them to hate it's just a long slow plod to the grave.

Thats totally it, damn you really are very sharp. Congrats!

LiveSteam 08-31-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 8869148)
Taking a lead from Killer Clown I thought I'd create a alternative thread to post some videos I like...

So on with the show:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/140g0qmZZ24" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.turnbacktogod.com/wp-cont...-supper-05.jpg

LiveSteam 08-31-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 8869150)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dMaK6k4oZ20" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.turnbacktogod.com/wp-cont...sciples-08.jpg

LiveSteam 08-31-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 8869158)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r6w2M50_Xdk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...esus-cross.jpg

RealSNR 08-31-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 8869150)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dMaK6k4oZ20" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This one is pretty stupid.

cosmo20002 08-31-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 8869185)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 8860707)
I am a ****ing racist & I aint afraid to admit it.

:drool:

mlyonsd 08-31-2012 07:25 PM

So if I believe in both creationism and evolution what does that make me?

go bo 08-31-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8869247)
So if I believe in both creationism and evolution what does that make me?

confused? :shrug:

mlyonsd 08-31-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go bowe (Post 8869250)
confused? :shrug:

Why? I think one can believe in creationism while not buying into Jesus, son of god stuff.

bevischief 08-31-2012 07:33 PM

Because they are retards and have no open mind.

cosmo20002 08-31-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8869247)
So if I believe in both creationism and evolution what does that make me?

Mitt Romney. The guy likes to be on both sides of most issues.

go bo 08-31-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8869257)
Why? I think one can believe in creationism while not buying into Jesus, son of god stuff.

cafeteria catholic, er protestant eh?

gonna pick and choose huh?

but seriously, could you describe your view of creationism?

is it the long day theory or something else, like a prime mover?

i have no clue why it happened but i do believe in the big bang...

go bo 08-31-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 8869262)
Mitt Romney. The guy likes to be on both sides of most issues.

would have been funnier if you had just said mitt romney...

it sucks when you explain your joke, as in it sucks for the listener...

AustinChief 08-31-2012 07:40 PM

Dave, I am all for making fun of creationists... but these videos are beyond retarded. They look and sound like they were made by an idiot 12 year old.

Those of us who are on the side of science, formally ask you to stop making us look bad.

VAChief 08-31-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8869247)
So if I believe in both creationism and evolution what does that make me?

I agree, one requires a heart, the other requires a brain...not mutually exclusive.

mlyonsd 08-31-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 8869262)
Mitt Romney. The guy likes to be on both sides of most issues.

Your shtick is getting old but whatever.

LiveSteam 08-31-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 8869240)
:drool:

Its a fact Im a racist.
I hate lying lil pillowbiters like you.

Dave Lane 08-31-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8869271)
Dave, I am all for making fun of creationists... but these videos are beyond retarded. They look and sound like they were made by an idiot 12 year old.

Those of us who are on the side of science, formally ask you to stop making us look bad.

Did you watch the non cartoon ones? I think the cartoon ones are so campy they are actually funny anyway. And after the drivel Killer Clown posted much deserved.

AustinChief 08-31-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 8869296)
Did you watch the non cartoon ones? I think the cartoon ones are so campy they are actually funny anyway. And after the drivel Killer Clown posted much deserved.

No, just the stupid cartoon ones. And yes the videos in the other thread were so mind numbingly stupid I just assumed they were a joke.

mlyonsd 08-31-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go bowe (Post 8869267)
cafeteria catholic, er protestant eh?

gonna pick and choose huh?

but seriously, could you describe your view of creationism?

is it the long day theory or something else, like a prime mover?

i have no clue why it happened but i do believe in the big bang...

I believe all religions as we know them were dreamed up by humans to explain why things are. They are equal in that they can't really complete that task. I think they are just ways for humans to cope in getting through this 'life'.

I believe in the big bang too. My view of creationism, what we are, what we see, what we live, came from something smarter than us. It's like we could be an experiment in a petri dish. It doesn't mean a higher being cares if we kill each other or even know we exist.

One thing no scientist can explain exactly is what would replace the universe if it didn't exist. Everything we know can be measured in physical elements. What if it was gone? What would take it's place? What would there be if the universe didn't exist?

My view of creationism is it pre-dates the big bang. The bb was just a reaction created by something/someone that made it happen.

I know what you're going to say but I haven't toked up in years.

sd4chiefs 08-31-2012 08:21 PM

One thing no scientist can explain exactly is what would replace the universe if it didn't exist. Everything we know can be measured in physical elements. What if it was gone? What would take it's place? What would there be if the universe didn't exist?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...ation.universe

The universe is at least 986 billion years older than physicists thought and is probably much older still, according to a radical new theory.

The revolutionary study suggests that time did not begin with the big bang 14 billion years ago. This mammoth explosion which created all the matter we see around us, was just the most recent of many.

The standard big bang theory says the universe began with a massive explosion, but the new theory suggests it is a cyclic event that consists of repeating big bangs.

"People have inferred that time began then, but there really wasn't any reason for that inference," said Neil Turok, a theoretical physicist at the University of Cambridge, "What we are proposing is very radical. It's saying there was time before the big bang."

Under his theory, published today in the journal Science with Paul Steinhardt at Princeton University in New Jersey, the universe must be at least a trillion years old with many big bangs happening before our own.

petegz28 08-31-2012 08:22 PM

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...27073416_n.jpg

Frankie 08-31-2012 08:27 PM

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.”
Seneca *(Roman philosopher, mid-1st century AD)

mlyonsd 08-31-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd4chiefs (Post 8869372)
One thing no scientist can explain exactly is what would replace the universe if it didn't exist. Everything we know can be measured in physical elements. What if it was gone? What would take it's place? What would there be if the universe didn't exist?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...ation.universe

The universe is at least 986 billion years older than physicists thought and is probably much older still, according to a radical new theory.

The revolutionary study suggests that time did not begin with the big bang 14 billion years ago. This mammoth explosion which created all the matter we see around us, was just the most recent of many.

The standard big bang theory says the universe began with a massive explosion, but the new theory suggests it is a cyclic event that consists of repeating big bangs.

"People have inferred that time began then, but there really wasn't any reason for that inference," said Neil Turok, a theoretical physicist at the University of Cambridge, "What we are proposing is very radical. It's saying there was time before the big bang."

Under his theory, published today in the journal Science with Paul Steinhardt at Princeton University in New Jersey, the universe must be at least a trillion years old with many big bangs happening before our own.

Thanks for the effort but that doesn't answer my question.

We can identify/measure any element in the universe, so far as discovered. We understand the building blocks to what we physically see and interact with.

If all that was gone, what would it physically be replaced with? To me it is impossible something higher than us didn't design the conditions we interact with.

mr. tegu 08-31-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8869247)
So if I believe in both creationism and evolution what does that make me?

Catholic.

mlyonsd 08-31-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 8869630)
Catholic.

While your prognosis is correct, raised Catholic, what I think isn't close to what they taught.

BucEyedPea 08-31-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8869247)
So if I believe in both creationism and evolution what does that make me?

A synthesis?

Lex Luthor 08-31-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 8869161)

Link fail. It's not even a properly formatted URL.

KILLER_CLOWN 08-31-2012 11:33 PM

Man this thread is going places...NOT... This thread is the equivalent of getting your piece caught in your zipper.

If you want something scientific you should look here...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...262893&page=33

listopencil 08-31-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8869709)
Man this thread is going places...NOT... This thread is the equivalent of getting your piece caught in your zipper.

If you want something scientific you should look here...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...262893&page=33

Yeah, the problem is that that guy is a nut.

go bo 09-01-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8869350)
I believe all religions as we know them were dreamed up by humans to explain why things are. They are equal in that they can't really complete that task. I think they are just ways for humans to cope in getting through this 'life'.

I believe in the big bang too. My view of creationism, what we are, what we see, what we live, came from something smarter than us. It's like we could be an experiment in a petri dish. It doesn't mean a higher being cares if we kill each other or even know we exist.

One thing no scientist can explain exactly is what would replace the universe if it didn't exist. Everything we know can be measured in physical elements. What if it was gone? What would take it's place? What would there be if the universe didn't exist?

My view of creationism is it pre-dates the big bang. The bb was just a reaction created by something/someone that made it happen.

I know what you're going to say but I haven't toked up in years.

that's ok i'll toke for both of us...

interesting view, seems eminently reasonable...

if the universe didn't exist we wouldn't be here either, so we won't ever know what might exist without the universe we know...

i couldn't even speculate what might be if the universe wasn't...

RNR 09-01-2012 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8869247)
So if I believe in both creationism and evolution what does that make me?

Agnostic~

munkey 09-01-2012 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 8869390)
&ldquo;Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.&rdquo;
Seneca *(Roman philosopher, mid-1st century AD)

This

Dave Lane 09-01-2012 07:15 AM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/istxUVBZD2s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dave Lane 09-01-2012 07:19 AM

Here's our friend Kent Prisoner Hovind:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BdEZTdOlGss" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ace Gunner 09-01-2012 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 8869170)
Dave Lane thanks God for Religious people, for without them to hate it's just a long slow plod to the grave.

So, Jesus is coming, right?

Dave Lane 09-01-2012 07:25 AM

This is a really good Kent Hovind video

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vjFeVwuJB7I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dave Lane 09-01-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8869348)
No, just the stupid cartoon ones. And yes the videos in the other thread were so mind numbingly stupid I just assumed they were a joke.

OK I changed them out just for you. I still think they were a humorous way to make a point though.

Kent Hovind on dinosaurs:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/l6_o1GxgNMQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

VAChief 09-01-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8869709)
Man this thread is going places...NOT... This thread is the equivalent of getting your piece caught in your zipper.

If you want something scientific you should look here...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...262893&page=33

:facepalm:

BucEyedPea 09-01-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedNeckRaider (Post 8869823)
Agnostic~

Nope

RNR 09-01-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 8870264)
Nope

Agnostic
1.
a. One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.
b. One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.
2. One who is doubtful or noncommittal about something.

listopencil 09-01-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8869437)
Thanks for the effort but that doesn't answer my question.

We can identify/measure any element in the universe, so far as discovered. We understand the building blocks to what we physically see and interact with.

If all that was gone, what would it physically be replaced with? To me it is impossible something higher than us didn't design the conditions we interact with.

You didn't really ask a question that has an answer. If everything was gone what would still be here? How about this one: Can God create a stone that is too heavy for Him to lift?

listopencil 09-01-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8869247)
So if I believe in both creationism and evolution what does that make me?

Deist, like Benjamin Franklin.

mr. tegu 09-01-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 8869936)
This is a really good Kent Hovind video

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vjFeVwuJB7I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"This is arguably one of the most stupid statements I have ever heard."

LMAO

RNR 09-01-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 8871191)
Deist, like Benjamin Franklin.

Franklin was not the only Deist among our founding fathers~

Baby Lee 09-01-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 8871220)
"This is arguably one of the most stupid statements I have ever heard."

LMAO

You've obviously never seen my cheap-ass mom make a PBJ sammich. ;)

AustinChief 09-01-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 8869962)
OK I changed them out just for you. I still think they were a humorous way to make a point though.

MUCH BETTER! :clap:

One interesting point that is touched upon is that Hovind keeps saying there was higher atmospheric pressure which allowed for larger creatures. This part is likely to be true. Just not in ANY WAY how he perceives it.

Without a thicker atmosphere it is almost impossible to explain the size of dinosaurs and it IS impossible to explain pterosaurs being able to fly. There are a number of people who believe in a thicker atmosphere theory but for some odd reason it is not well accepted. This has nothing to do with Hovind's nonsense, it's just an interesting thing that often gets overlooked in regards to paleobiology.

DaneMcCloud 09-02-2012 01:00 AM

Here's why I laugh at Creationists (and I've shared this before: It's ALL me):

If Jesus was the son of God, all he need to say were one of three things so that future generations would believe him:

1. The Earth is not flat
2. The Earth is not the center of the universe. It revolves around the Sun, not the other way around.
3. Hey Jews, pack your bags. We're heading to North America!

AustinChief 09-02-2012 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8872096)
Here's why I laugh at Creationists (and I've shared this before: It's ALL me):

If Jesus was the son of God, all he need to say were one of three things so that future generations would believe him:

1. The Earth is not flat
2. The Earth is not the center of the universe. It revolves around the Sun, not the other way around.
3. Hey Jews, pack your bags. We're heading to North America!

He did say all of those things.. he just only told it to the Mormons.

DaneMcCloud 09-02-2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8872103)
He did say all of those things.. he just only told it to the Mormons.

I think one of the dudes on Planet Kolob may have mentioned that last time we were all partying but I was too busying getting serviced by three blondes hotties who gave great blowjobs but due to their religion, shunned intercourse.

Their loss.

AustinChief 09-02-2012 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8872108)
I think one of the dudes on Planet Kolob may have mentioned that last time we were all partying but I was too busying getting serviced by three blondes hotties who gave great blowjobs but due to their religion, shunned intercourse.

Their loss.

Man, mormons have this shit figured out!

ALTHOUGH! I think we could create a better one ourselves... when I start my cult, you want to be a prophet? I'm taking applications. Though it is tempting to make this a female only cult(barring me of course). Hmmm, need to work out the specifics on this.

DaneMcCloud 09-02-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8872123)
Man, mormons have this shit figured out!

ALTHOUGH! I think we could create a better one ourselves... when I start my cult, you want to be a prophet? I'm taking applications. Though it is tempting to make this a female only cult(barring me of course). Hmmm, need to work out the specifics on this.

It's already been figured out and it's called "Hollywood Producer".

:D

BucEyedPea 09-02-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedNeckRaider (Post 8870987)
Agnostic
1.
a. One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.
b. One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.
2. One who is doubtful or noncommittal about something.

Yeah, so?

This is what you posted "agnostic" to:

Quote:

So if I believe in both creationism and evolution what does that make me?
What does that have to do with God ?
Not even definition #2 fits, necessarily. As one can believe in both creationism and evolution without it meaning they are doubtful about either.

AustinChief 09-02-2012 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8872126)
It's already been figured out and it's called "Hollywood Producer".

:D

But I don't want to have to do any WORK... oh wait... still Hollywood Producer. Damn, I may be in for a mid-life career change!

mlyonsd 09-02-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 8871187)
You didn't really ask a question that has an answer. If everything was gone what would still be here? How about this one: Can God create a stone that is too heavy for Him to lift?

It's questions like those that make me scratch my head when atheists mock believers by implying they're stupid.

RNR 09-02-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8872348)
It's questions like those that make me scratch my head when atheists mock believers by implying they're stupid.

The only time I get irritated and slam people (atheist or believer) is when they claim to know the answers as a matter of fact. It is the reason I identify myself as an agnostic or a version of a Deist. I do not know the answers. I am convinced all religions are man made. To claim to know the thoughts of a creator and threaten billions of people who do not believe as you do is beyond silly. To try to claim you know how this planet was created and state as a matter of fact there is no creator is beyond silly also. There is no doubt in my mind evolution has played a role in what we are now. It does not explain how this all started~

tiptap 09-02-2012 11:58 AM

It is sometimes easier to put logical questions in Mathematical terms. So lets ask "if everything is gone what would still be". Most everyone is familiar with cartesian graph. The familiar X Y layout of a grid. What comes with this introductions is the understanding that when lines meet at 90 degrees then there is a zero contribution from one line to the other. Think of how much contribution to the x axis is there from a vertical line. None. Essentially "nothing" is involved.

This notion carries over to Quantum Mechanics seen in Tunneling Effect. This is how electrons move in semiconductors. Essentially the appearance of electrons outside a well happens with it appearing as coming from nowhere outside the tunnel. This universe could easily have passed through some "wall" that is normal to our existence and therefore has the appearance of coming out of nothing. And without a dimension that allows us to access both the wall/well and the universe, we in this universe can not access the type of the constitution of the source. We can go with the notion that energy is not created or destroyed to say that existence is "eternal" but at times it looks like emerging from nothing to those embedded in that existence.

Dave Lane 09-03-2012 08:50 AM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p3nvH6gfrTc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bump 09-03-2012 01:45 PM

wait, do people really believe there is water above the atmosphere and that's how we get it? rofl

-King- 09-03-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedNeckRaider (Post 8872369)
The only time I get irritated and slam people (atheist or believer) is when they claim to know the answers as a matter of fact. It is the reason I identify myself as an agnostic or a version of a Deist. I do not know the answers. I am convinced all religions are man made. To claim to know the thoughts of a creator and threaten billions of people who do not believe as you do is beyond silly. To try to claim you know how this planet was created and state as a matter of fact there is no creator is beyond silly also. There is no doubt in my mind evolution has played a role in what we are now. It does not explain how this all started~

:clap:

Dave Lane 09-04-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8871823)
MUCH BETTER! :clap:

One interesting point that is touched upon is that Hovind keeps saying there was higher atmospheric pressure which allowed for larger creatures. This part is likely to be true. Just not in ANY WAY how he perceives it.

Without a thicker atmosphere it is almost impossible to explain the size of dinosaurs and it IS impossible to explain pterosaurs being able to fly. There are a number of people who believe in a thicker atmosphere theory but for some odd reason it is not well accepted. This has nothing to do with Hovind's nonsense, it's just an interesting thing that often gets overlooked in regards to paleobiology.

Actually a thicker atmosphere ie as in more air pressure wouldn't help. Now a greater oxygen content would and it has been speculated that the oxygen content in the time of dinosaurs approached 40%.

listopencil 09-05-2012 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8872348)
It's questions like those that make me scratch my head when atheists mock believers by implying they're stupid.

I consider atheists and believers to be two sides of the same coin.

DaneMcCloud 09-05-2012 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 8879083)
I consider atheists and believers to be two sides of the same coin.

Joking?

DaneMcCloud 09-05-2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedNeckRaider (Post 8870987)
Agnostic
1.
a. One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.
b. One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.
2. One who is doubtful or noncommittal about something.

I'm agnostic as to whether or not I'll drop a dook in the next 8 hours.

listopencil 09-05-2012 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8879085)
Joking?

Nope.

DaneMcCloud 09-05-2012 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 8879093)
Nope.

Then clearly, you are very confused

listopencil 09-05-2012 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8879094)
Then clearly, you are very confused

Not at all. Atheists deny the possibility of the existence of a God when there is no proof that one does not exist. Believers have faith in the existence of God when there is no proof that one exists.

DaneMcCloud 09-05-2012 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 8879097)
Not at all. Atheists deny the possibility of the existence of a God when there is no proof that one does not exist. Believers have faith in the existence of God when there is no proof that one exists.

LMAO

ThaVirus 09-05-2012 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 8878585)
Actually a thicker atmosphere ie as in more air pressure wouldn't help. Now a greater oxygen content would and it has been speculated that the oxygen content in the time of dinosaurs approached 40%.

That's what I've always heard. The oxygen level was much higher, allowing organisms to grow larger than what we would generally see today.

Dave Lane 09-05-2012 06:20 AM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xzDYVFa1TR0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Amnorix 09-05-2012 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8869257)
Why? I think one can believe in creationism while not buying into Jesus, son of god stuff.


If you don't buy into Jesus, son of God then you're not Christian, by definition.

If you believe in the God of Abraham generally, then you could be Jewish or Muslim, as primary religions. There are a host of branches, twigs and splinters off that particular tree though.

Or you could be "religious" in some other sense altogether, which doesn't conform to the various sects. Nothing wrong with that.

Creationism and science aren't necessarily at odds. Whether you believe God caused the Big Bang and set up the base rules of physics, or whether science has it wrong on the Big Bang and God created the entire universe in a different way, that's perfectly fine. He's not really omnipotent*, but causing any of those things would be well within his powers.


*Scholars, even among the devoutly religious, agree God isn't truly ALL powerful. It's generally agreed, for example, that he can't destroy himself, he can't create another God that is in all respects identical to himself (Godself?), etc.

Donger 09-05-2012 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 8879083)
I consider atheists and believers to be two sides of the same coin.

As do I.

Amnorix 09-05-2012 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8869437)
Thanks for the effort but that doesn't answer my question.

We can identify/measure any element in the universe, so far as discovered. We understand the building blocks to what we physically see and interact with.

If all that was gone, what would it physically be replaced with? To me it is impossible something higher than us didn't design the conditions we interact with.


You are intellectualizing your way to a religion, which I respect.

Question -- in what space and how do the being(s) that are "higher than us" (agreeing for the moment that it's difficult to quantify such things) exist?

One of the more convenient things about God is that he's insubstantial, existing everywhere and nowhere all at once. I find that too convenient to be particularly believable, but that's fine. Absent such an ability, however, such a being would need to live within the physical confines of the universe, no?

Amnorix 09-05-2012 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 8879083)
I consider atheists and believers to be two sides of the same coin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 8879244)
As do I.


Same here.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.