ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs Sign Sean Smith (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271138)

Hammock Parties 03-17-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9508939)
Unless it's about Alex Smith

No, they got Alex Smith right. He had a solid year. Nothing wrong with his performance.

They also got his game against the Giants dead on.

http://i.imgur.com/0zXesdn.jpg

Hootie 03-17-2013 02:47 PM

I agree, he was atrocious against the Giants

Hootie 03-17-2013 02:47 PM

What was kaepernick against green bay? Wilson against Atlanta? I'm very curious

Hootie 03-17-2013 02:50 PM

I bet Kaep was an 8+ against green bay and Wilson at least a 6 against Seattle

ShowtimeSBMVP 03-17-2013 05:13 PM

Sean Smith’s base deal: Three years, $16.5 million
Posted by Mike Florio on March 17, 2013, 7:12 PM EDT
Titans Dolphins Football AP

The 2013 cornerback market is worse than previously believed.

The contract signed by Sean Smith with the Chiefs widely was reported as being worth $18 million over three years, for a modest average of $6 million per year. In reality, it’s even more modest than that.

Per a source with knowledge of the contract, it has a base value of only $16.5 million, which equates to an average of $5.5 million annually.

Escalators and incentives can push the number to $18 million.

Also, only $7.465 million is fully guaranteed. The 2014 base salary of $3.45 million is guaranteed for injury only, and it becomes fully guaranteed on February 7.

So, basically, the top of the cornerback market is $5.5 million per year.

I know Clay hates that last line

Direckshun 03-17-2013 06:03 PM

Holy balls, we got him for a song.

DJ's left nut 03-17-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9508941)
No, they got Alex Smith right. He had a solid year. Nothing wrong with his performance.

They also got his game against the Giants dead on.

http://i.imgur.com/0zXesdn.jpg

Like I've said about Smith all along - more often than not he's going to be a solid QB for us, often even a good one.

There will be 14-18 teams in the NFL with worse QB situations than us for the duration of Smith's time here, IMO.

But man oh man was he terrible in that Giants game. And I think we'll have to be prepared for one or two of those every year.

I hope not.

DJ's left nut 03-17-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9509427)
Holy balls, we got him for a song.

Yup, that's a nice contract.

I know Clay hates the signing, but I don't see how you can. When you have Javier Arenas as your present #2 and you have a chance to get a guy with Smith's talent for a damn reasonable deal that can easily be escaped after year 1 - what's the question?

Maybe they can't unlock it and maybe he'll still suck - oh well. We know that Javier Arenas isn't the answer and this kid could be. My hat is off to the Chiefs for trying.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-17-2013 06:08 PM

Even solid QB play is enough for this team to be in playoff contention. We had some of the worst QB play of All-Time the last 2 years. 3-4 extra wins easily with even BELOW AVERAGE QB play last year instead of abysmal.

ShowtimeSBMVP 03-17-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9509433)
Like I've said about Smith all along - more often than not he's going to be a solid QB for us, often even a good one.

There will be 14-18 teams in the NFL with worse QB situations than us for the duration of Smith's time here, IMO.

But man oh man was he terrible in that Giants game. And I think we'll have to be prepared for one or two of those every year.

I hope not.

Not making any excuses for him but it was raining bad most of that game.

milkman 03-17-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9509433)

I hope not.

Those one or two games a year will include playoff teams that play championship calibre defense.

Those teams can take away the run and put the game on the QB's arm, and Smith is not a QB that can carry a team.

Easy 6 03-17-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9508337)
So the clips of him getting beat constantly mean nothing?

The opinions of dozens of Dolphins fans mean nothing?

I choose not to ignore these relevant findings.

The clips of him getting constantly beat are just that, random clips from random games, not one of them alone or in bunches from random games, proves anything other than yes, all cornerbacks get burned.

He's a great physical tools prospect who hasn't yet topped out, atleast according to several NFL minds, don't try to explain away the interest he drew, several good teams had their eyes on him and theres no denying that... but as California Chief pointed out, Reid and company insisted on going to the front of the line for him (looove that line, that's exactly what they did for him and everyone else).

Yes, dozens of fin fans opinions mean exactly jack and squat... there are dozens on this site alone, let alone the dozen other Chiefs outlets. Yes, random fans rantings mean NOTHING.

What you've found so far... is a young, physically imposing from a height/weight/speed view cb, who has probably not reached his full potential, and according to random fins fans, if we're counting that, is a mix of pure awesome mixed with fair share of whiffs... just what you expect from a younger player. I'm not so sure he's a pure natural, probably not, but the combination of intensive coaching that he will get here from an old pal, plus plain old ongoing maturation, should help him get his big, gangly size under control and start being consistent with it.

Personally, I'm excited with his potential and if nothing else he's a perfect complement to 5'9 Flowers... as much as I thought Arenas filled in pretty admirably last year, you just know having two guys that size outside is an instant disadvantage.

My money says 80-20 you're flat wrong on him.

The Bad Guy 03-17-2013 06:42 PM

Claynus posts a picture of Andre Johnson beating Smith. Andre Johnson, the most physically gifted WR in the entire league beats just about every corner.

Mother****erJones 03-17-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9509524)
Claynus posts a picture of Andre Johnson beating Smith. Andre Johnson, the most physically gifted WR in the entire league beats just about every corner.

Ya that's like someone knocking a corner because they can't cover Calvin Johnson a physical freak of a WR

Pasta Little Brioni 03-17-2013 06:51 PM

Smith did give up alot of yards we can't argue that. Teams targeted him like crazy, so that definately inflated the amount of numbers he gave up. He had a pretty good YPA alllowed as well as Completion percentage against. His crusade is a bit ridiculous as he's young, experienced, and extremely talented.