ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Colt Brennan (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=188455)

Mecca 08-04-2008 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 4890691)
i wholeheartedly disagree

Because you know Tyler Thigpen and Brodie Croyle have done enough to not have any comp as 1 and 2 right...

DaKCMan AP 08-04-2008 04:39 PM

People who complain about Brodie Croyle's size shouldn't want Colt Brennan.

He performed well against the 3rd stringers in the first preseason game of the year. Whoop-dee-****ing-doo.

The Franchise 08-04-2008 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 4890685)
Colts pass over the middle gets picked against 1st stringers and this conversation isn't happening.

None of this changes the fact that KC should have taken a QB somewhere in the draft and KC should have at least another young QB in camp taking some reps.

What QB would you have taken and where?

Ainge, Erik Pick 27, Round 5(162) New York Jets

Booty, John David Pick 2, Round 5(137) Minnesota Vikings

Brennan, Colt Pick 20, Round 6(186) Washington Redskins

Brink, Alex Pick 16, Round 7(223) Houston Texans

Brohm, Brian Pick 25, Round 2(56) Green Bay Packers

Dixon, Dennis Pick 21, Round 5(156) Pittsburgh Steelers

Flacco, Joe Pick 18, Round 1(18) Baltimore Ravens

Flynn, Matt Pick 2, Round 7(209) Green Bay Packers

Henne, Chad Pick 26, Round 2(57) Miami Dolphins

Johnson, Josh Pick 25, Round 5(160) Tampa Bay Buccaneers

O'Connell, Kevin Pick 31, Round 3(94) New England Patriots

Ryan, Matt Pick 3, Round 1(3) Atlanta Falcons

Woodson, Andre' Pick 32, Round 6(198) New York Giants

Pasta Little Brioni 08-04-2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 4890699)

He performed well against the 3rd stringers in the first preseason game of the year. Whoop-dee-****ing-doo.

The funny thing is if Brodie played like that people would be saying it is only preseason and that performance is meaningless. You can guarentee that.

Mecca 08-04-2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pestilenceaf23 (Post 4890700)

In fairness here Brennan and Woodson both fell into the 6th round it isn't like you would have had to use a high pick on either of these guys at that point either one would have been a good pick..

HolmeZz 08-04-2008 04:42 PM

Uh, wasn't Campbell 5/5 with a TD last night?

Mecca 08-04-2008 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 4890703)
The funny thing is if Brodie played like that people would be saying it is only preseason and that performance is meaningless. You can guarentee that.

I haven't even seen Croyle play that well in preseason, remember last preseason he was brutal.

Chiefnj2 08-04-2008 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pestilenceaf23 (Post 4890700)

Entering the draft I would have taken Brohm in the 2nd.

If the team passed on Brohm I would have jumped on Woodson in the 6th.

jAZ 08-04-2008 04:44 PM

I think the Redskins and Peter King think by season's end you might look foolish for starting this thread.

I have no idea, but King was on Dan Patrick and both he and Dan were drooling over how good Campbell is doing with the new simplified offense.

Here's King's column on the topic:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...03/mmqb/1.html
Friday, July 25, Washington Redskins camp

ASHBURN, Va. -- Some teams you watch and you say: This team is better than people think. The Redskins are one of those teams.

Now, I caution you -- I watched only one practice. But they're responding to Jim Zorn, whose offense is better for Jason Campbell than the encyclopedic one devised by Al Saunders. Campbell looked terrific, accurate and sure of himself. His weapons, assuming the rookie receivers can stay healthy, will be as good as any offensive skill-player set in the division.
And here's a bit more on Campbell, and how Zorn could screw it up if he's not careful.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...n.3ae61ae.html
Campbell will be main focus of new Redskins coach Zorn

01:19 AM CDT on Sunday, August 3, 2008

Washington Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell is learning his seventh offensive system in eight years.

Campbell had four offensive coordinators in his four college seasons at Auburn. When he arrived in Washington as a first-round draft pick in 2005, he had to learn the Joe Gibbs power-running offense.

Gibbs hired Al Saunders as coordinator in 2006, and Campbell had to learn the pass-happy offense that thrived in St. Louis and Kansas City. When Campbell finally spent spend two years in the same system, he began emerging in 2007.

Campbell completed 60 percent of his passes with a career-high 12 touchdowns. He threw for three TDs in a game against Philadelphia and 348 yards against the Cowboys.

But now Gibbs and Saunders are gone and Jim Zorn replaces both. He's the new head coach of the Redskins and will call his own plays. Zorn is implementing the West Coast offense this summer and has decided to coach Campbell himself.

I understand Zorn's logic. Seven offenses in eight seasons must have Campbell's head spinning.

"A lot of people have made the statement, 'How does Jason feel about being coached by so many different coaches and hearing so many different voices?' " Zorn said. "I want to be the one voice he hears – as the quarterback coach, as the head coach, as the guy who gives him the instructions."

That should certainly streamline the process. Campbell is a talented, young quarterback, and Zorn feels he's in the best position to accelerate his learning curve. Zorn was an accomplished quarterback at Seattle and spent the last seven seasons as quarterback coach of the Seahawks.

So who can blame Zorn for wanting to be hands-on with the position? The quicker Campbell develops into a Pro Bowl quarterback, the more the Redskins will win and the greater job security Zorn will have in an organization that historically has not shown much patience with head coaches. Zorn is the fifth head coach in Dan Snyder's nine-year tenure as owner.

But this is the pitfall of so many first-time head coaches – they try to do too much.

Zorn has never been a head coach at any level in his 20 years on a football sideline. So he faces his own learning curve. Zorn has never called his own plays in his 11 years as an NFL assistant. So he faces another learning curve. Both are full-time jobs. Now he's adding a third full-time job as the quarterback coach. But that's his comfort zone.

"It's what I've done well in my mind over the years," Zorn said. "I think it's necessary for me to do this right now."

The defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants have three men doing what Zorn is trying to do – Tom Coughlin as head coach, Kevin Gilbride play-caller and Chris Palmer quarterback coach.

The Cowboys also have three coaches serving in those capacities – Wade Phillips (head coach), Jason Garrett (play-caller) and Wade Wilson (quarterbacks).

Maybe Zorn can pull it off. Inevitably, though, when a person tries to do two jobs at the same time, two jobs get shortchanged. When a person tries to do three jobs at the same time, three jobs get shortchanged. My guess is there will be another assistant coach or two on the Washington staff in 2009.

Pasta Little Brioni 08-04-2008 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4890706)
I haven't even seen Croyle play that well in preseason, remember last preseason he was brutal.

True, which is why i said IF.

The Franchise 08-04-2008 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 4890709)
Entering the draft I would have taken Brohm in the 2nd.

If the team passed on Brohm I would have jumped on Woodson in the 6th.

Well that means no Brandon Flowers.

Chiefnj2 08-04-2008 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pestilenceaf23 (Post 4890720)
Well that means no Brandon Flowers.

Correct. I have nothing against Flowers, I think he'll be a good player and I think he was a good value pick - it's just that if I am rebuilding a football team I'm going to make sure I try to cover QB first and OL second.

OnTheWarpath15 08-04-2008 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 4890699)

No kidding.

Almost identical in size, similar rash of injuries, then add in the off the field red flags - but throw 2 TD's against the Colts 3rd string defense and people are already making him out to be Johnny ****ing Unitas...

Mecca 08-04-2008 04:52 PM

6th round pick 3rd round pick......if they had used a high pick on him I doubt anyone would be saying that, it's about the value of the pick.

Like I said in the game thread Colt Brennan or Kevin Robinson....

The Franchise 08-04-2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 4890725)
Correct. I have nothing against Flowers, I think he'll be a good player and I think he was a good value pick - it's just that if I am rebuilding a football team I'm going to make sure I try to cover QB first and OL second.

I would have maybe been happy with a trade of some of our 3rd round picks to get back into the 2nd round to grab Brohm but I'm more than happy with giving Croyle his shot right now.