ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Advice on Highway Travel in Arizona (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269178)

Archie F. Swin 01-23-2013 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Mac Ver 2.0 (Post 9343524)

Where are you staying in Phx?

Not sure. Something that will be convenient to Surprise and my cousin's place east of Deer Valley. Our budget is tight.

Phobia 01-23-2013 05:57 AM

Last time I was there, ENDelt was a regular poster here. But I would caution you to keep a full tank of gas when you can. If you're driving across the dessert, there are strategically placed stations that charge more than $2 more per gallon than other stations 40 miles in either direction. No idea if that practice continues but it did in the mid 200x's.

Archie F. Swin 01-23-2013 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Straight, No Chaser (Post 9343537)
Why Monument Valley?

Its an iconic landscape and something I've always wanted to see in person.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Straight, No Chaser (Post 9343537)
Average time/visitor at south rim is like 2 hours... most are heading to Vegas. A shame to travel all that way to look down and say Wow.

My plan, right now, is to find accommodations in Tusayan and devote most of the next day to Grand Canyon, then finding accommodations in Flagstaff that evening. From Flagstaff we'll take the scenic route to the Valley of the Sun, seeing some sights along the way.

Archie F. Swin 01-26-2013 08:07 AM

I appreciate the help so far....

Marty Mac Ver 2.0 01-26-2013 08:54 AM

There are some decent options along I-17 but there are some "no tell motels" along that stretch as well. There is a nice, newer Drury Inn off I-17 and Pinnacle Peak Road you should consider.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9343636)
Not sure. Something that will be convenient to Surprise and my cousin's place east of Deer Valley. Our budget is tight.

Bob Dole 01-26-2013 08:58 AM

Bob Dole stayed at the Holiday Inn Williams at 950 N Grand Canyon Blvd years ago. Reasonably priced and nice, and a straight shot up to the south rim the next morning.

EagleRob 01-26-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 9341281)
You can stop in Sedona when you're headed to Phoenix and get your chakras aligned via the harmonic convergence.

This

Munson 01-26-2013 04:00 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but traveling through Navajo country was kind of a depressing experience. Last year, I was in Moab, UT and drove south on Highway 191 all the way down to I-40. The landscape was barren, and it seemed like each town was poorer than the one before. In one town, they had a herd of sheep walking and grazing along the side of the highway. I damn near ran over a couple of them. Nobody bothered keep them fenced in. I'm surprised there weren't sheep carcasses all over the place.

It might be worth it to stop by the Meteor Crater just west of Winslow. The admission fee was kind of steep, but its a cool place to visit once in your life. Its amazing to see how huge the crater is in person.

When you go to the Grand Canyon, try to get there a little early. When I was there, the line to get in was long, and parking was a real bitch. I think it took me at least 20 minutes to find a spot. You might want to bring your own lunch and snacks with you. You're gonna be starving after walking around all day.

I love the drive from Flagstaff to Phoenix on I-17. One of these days I'll take the scenic view through Sedona like everybody recommends.

scho63 01-27-2013 04:33 PM

Be very careful driving late at night on the highways. Arizona is notorious for drunk drivers going through intersections.

Sedona is beautiful, Lake Havasu, Grand Canyon, Scottsdale/Phoenix has lots to do, and Tuscon is also nice but very much a retirement haven these days.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-27-2013 04:38 PM

Look white and have identification on you at all times.

Strongside 01-27-2013 05:13 PM

Lived in Phoenix for 3 years and never hit up the GC. I always meant to, but on the way, we'd detour to Vegas instead. If you need help with PHX area itself, PM me...other than that, can't help.

Archie F. Swin 01-27-2013 06:42 PM

I just realized I'm probably not gonna get any deals on accommodations in March in the PHX metro.... spring traning baseball.

suzzer99 01-27-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9341489)
While In New Mexico, should I make time for the Chaco Culture Park?

I enjoyed it immensely. It's very laid-back, not as developed or touristy as Mesa Verde. But if you're into seeing some really cool old ruins you like it. There's a short hike you can do just above the biggest ruin, Pueblo Bonito, that gets you up onto a little bluff overlooking the ruins. I definitely recommend it if you go.

Archie F. Swin 02-19-2013 11:06 AM

How's about stuff for kids to do in greater Phoenix?

Baby Lee 02-19-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munson (Post 9353141)
I don't know about anyone else, but traveling through Navajo country was kind of a depressing experience. Last year, I was in Moab, UT and drove south on Highway 191 all the way down to I-40. The landscape was barren, and it seemed like each town was poorer than the one before. In one town, they had a herd of sheep walking and grazing along the side of the highway. I damn near ran over a couple of them. Nobody bothered keep them fenced in. I'm surprised there weren't sheep carcasses all over the place.

It might be worth it to stop by the Meteor Crater just west of Winslow. The admission fee was kind of steep, but its a cool place to visit once in your life. Its amazing to see how huge the crater is in person.

When you go to the Grand Canyon, try to get there a little early. When I was there, the line to get in was long, and parking was a real bitch. I think it took me at least 20 minutes to find a spot. You might want to bring your own lunch and snacks with you. You're gonna be starving after walking around all day.

I love the drive from Flagstaff to Phoenix on I-17. One of these days I'll take the scenic view through Sedona like everybody recommends.

Weird how stereotypes work. Even at 6yo I'd heard the story of the alcoholic Indian. Then when my grandparents took me to Disneyland by car, we'd take a walk each night. Somewhere in Navajo territory, there were literally drunks passed out in the streets, just lying there with a bottle a couple feet away.