ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV New Shows? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=258795)

Micjones 04-24-2012 09:37 AM

New Shows?

There are only two TV series that I follow.

House MD has 4 episodes remaining.
SVU's on its last legs and will likely be cancelled after this season.

I'm gonna be out in the cold.

So, I'm hoping for a few suggestions for 1-3 dramatic series, on Network Television, that I can follow going forward.

I prefer shows that are both cerebral and deeply emotional.
Can you guys help?

Gonzo 04-24-2012 09:43 AM

Network TV like ABC, CBS, Fox etc?

Do you get AMC or FX?

If you do, I would suggest checking out Breaking Bad if you're not already watching it.

If you're not, get NetFlix free for a month and watch Seasons 1 - 3. AMC should start showing Season 4 reruns before they start season 5.

It is the best show on TV right now. The Walking Dead is a close 2nd and from what I hear, Justified on FX is really good. I just haven't had time to check it out.

Micjones 04-24-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 8562644)
Network TV like ABC, CBS, Fox etc?

Yeah, the "Big 4".

Quote:

If you're not, get NetFlix free for a month and watch Seasons 1 - 3. AMC should start showing Season 4 reruns before they start season 5.

It is the best show on TV right now. The Walking Dead is a close 2nd and from what I hear, Justified on FX is really good. I just haven't had time to check it out.
I've heard alot about "Breaking Bad" and "The Walking Dead".
I'll have to read a synopsis of those shows to see if I'd be interested in them.

Thanks for the tip, Gonz.

mikeyis4dcats. 04-24-2012 10:03 AM

If you would expand to AMC I'd highly recommend Breaking Bad and Mad Men. Sons of Anarchy is also a good show on FX as is Justified. Walking Dead is also pretty good.

The second season of The Killing is just starting up on AMC, but it's a tough pill to swallow.

Gonzo 04-24-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 8562668)
If you would expand to AMC I'd highly recommend Breaking Bad and Mad Men. Sons of Anarchy is also a good show on FX as is Justified. Walking Dead is also pretty good.

The second season of The Killing is just starting up on AMC, but it's a tough pill to swallow.

This.

Network TV pretty much sucks now. AMC and FX are pure ****ing win with all of their shows.
HBO could take a lesson from them.
Sons of Anarchy is great. Not my favorite but still, a great show.

You just have to suspend belief with it for a bit. Everyone gets killed and all the cops just look the other way.

However, the ending of Season 3 was awesome. Season 4 left a little something to be desired.

Micjones 04-24-2012 11:40 AM

Kinda disheartened that there's NOTHING you guys can recommend on Network TV.
I'll be getting cable soon, but I need to find the right provider and I have a few other bills to tend to first.

I'd hate to started with a series via Netflix and not be able to keep up with the show.

blaise 04-24-2012 12:05 PM

If you're talking just network, maybe Person of Interest. It's good, but it can sometimes be a little slow. Jim Caveziel is the lead actor. Plays a former military guy who is off the grid and helps this other dude help people outside of the police. Then there's a cop that sort of pursues him, but also takes his help. She's played by an actress that was in Hustle and Flow.
I'll admit that I've only seen maybe 4 episodes, but I can't think of much else.

Chiefnj2 04-24-2012 12:35 PM

Network tv = reality tv. Between The Voice, DWTS, Idol, Survivor, America's Got Talent, The Apprentice, etc., you have most of your prime time spots taken up.

Frazod 04-24-2012 12:44 PM

Network TV is all but dead unless you're a ****ing idiot. That's clearly the audience the bulk of their shows are aimed at.

About the only network show that I watch is NCIS (the original). It's silly but entertaining, and I like the cast (I love the way they act like Norfolk is right next door to Washington LMAO ). Used to watch Criminal Minds, but the quality dropped off to the point I gave up on it last season. My wife records Hawaii 5-0 and CSI. Sometimes I'll watch them with her.

When it comes to shows I watch, there's Game of Thrones, Spartacus, Archer, Magic City and Pawn Stars. I know there are some other series I should check out, like Justified, but I just haven't done it yet.

Deberg_1990 04-24-2012 01:00 PM

Network TV caters to the "lowest Common Denominator" audience now with mostly reality and gimmick game shows.

Ive never watched these shows but i hear good things about "The Good Wife" and "Bluebloods" on CBS

Like everyone else has said, AMC, FX, HBO, Showtime and Starz are where the truly great dramas are anymore.

Ill add "Shameless" on Showtime to the great dramas list mentioned above.

Red Brooklyn 04-24-2012 01:13 PM

I'm behind a few episodes, so I'm not sure if it's holding up, but you might like Awake on NBC.

I'm not sure where it's going but it's interesting enough. The pilot episode was incredible. Each episode I've seen since has kept my attention and it's pretty well acted. Definitely fits "cerebral and deeply emotional" so far.

mikeyis4dcats. 04-24-2012 01:22 PM

Bluebloods is okay, though I find myself becoming bored with it.

Buck 04-24-2012 01:46 PM

Network TV is garbage and the best shows get the worst ratings.

Fringe is the best Network show on now, but it has horrible ratings and it would be tougj to just pick it up anywhere but from the beginning.

vailpass 04-24-2012 01:52 PM

There are still network channels?

blaise 04-24-2012 02:34 PM

There still some good comedies on network.