ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Bill Simmons on Larry Johnson (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=149180)

tk13 10-06-2006 01:06 PM

Bill Simmons on Larry Johnson

His last four picks of the week in his column are the AFC West games, pretty entertaining...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/061006

Quote:

CARDS (+3) over Chiefs
You probably stopped taping "Inside the NFL" because they don't run highlights for every game and it's so frustrating to watch Collinsworth moderate a debate with Carter and Marino when he knows more about the 2006 teams than both of them combined. And that's fine. But check out this week's show just for the bizarre Larry Johnson segment -- he's more emotionally fragile than a pregnant 14-year-old. The KC coaches spend the entire game alternately hugging him and consoling him. It's crazy. After the Chiefs won the game, I thought Herm Edwards was going to reward him with cotton candy and a new Transformer. You have to see it. I can't take the Chiefs for at least one week after seeing that.

49ERS (-3.5) over Raiders
Wait, the Raiders are getting 3½ against a team that lost 41-0 last week? Please tell me somebody is writing a book about them. Did you know offensive coordinator Tom Walsh was operating a bed-and-breakfast when they hired him? A bed-and-breakfast! Last year at this time, his biggest concern was whether they were going to run out of pastries and jam for the first foliage weekend in October. Now, he's drawing up plays and breaking down NFL defenses. No wonder Randy Moss doesn't care anymore. Unbelievable.

That reminds me, my two favorite Art Shell e-mails of the week:

1. Ben from San Jose: "Thanks for the tip on the Art Shell Era. He might convince me to give gambling a try."

2. Bri from Indiana: "My buddy Ty and I have ongoing discussions about how Shell would do in other jobs, like as a deli manager, or manager of the Oakland A's. I contend that he would stand utterly still, with a headset on, in every situation, while things unraveled around him. For example, as a deli manager he'd stare blankly out at the oncoming lunch crowd as the deli ran out of cold cuts that he forgot to order. Don't you think this could be a show, something like 'The Shell Situation,' where they just move Art around to a bunch of different jobs to see if he really reacts the same way to everything? I'm sure Fox or MTV already has the rights to it though."

Randy probably wishes this season was over already.(I love this idea. One week, he could be the executive producer of a talk show. The next week, he could be the bouncer in a bar. It would never get old. Although I'd be just as happy with a show where Art screws up replay challenges every week. And I think that's a realistic hope.)

CHARGERS (-3) over Steelers
On Sunday, the Chargers were looking good against the Ravens and I turned to my buddy Sal and said, "You ready to hop on the Chargers bandwagon yet?" Within two seconds (no joke), Rivers threw that killer interception to let Baltimore back in the game. It was uncanny.

Anyway, I'd love to pile on Marty this week; nobody has coached more games when they resembled a Ken doll anatomically. But he did the right thing this time: Rivers wasn't quite ready for a game like that, and they couldn't kill his confidence this early in the season. So Marty kept it close to the vest and tried to protect the lead with his D (and it almost worked). I'm not killing him on that one. All things considered, this is still the best AFC team. The Chargers will prove it Sunday night.

(Note: Not everyone is sold. Disgruntled San Diego fan Dominic wonders, "Can you think of any analogies where the Martyball concept can be applied outside of football? What about folding a $500 pot when you're $5 from all-in because you're afraid someone will get you on the river? Working the machine for a walk in a batting cage? Five-hitting your way to a 19, then surrendering because the dealer is showing a face card? Landing a three-way with the Olsen twins, only to have them walk out because you fell asleep halfway through?")

BRONCOS (-4) over Ravens
Four predictions for this one:

1. Air McNair gets fully exposed. He has played four decent minutes in the past two weeks. You can't pull that crap against a defense like Denver's.

2. Once the Broncos get a lead, Shanahan won't ask Plummer to do anything. And I mean, anything. He'll do the same thing Marty did last week.

3. You will hear a lot of barely audible "IN-COM-PLETE" chants on your TV.

4. Mike Tirico officially starts to look like one of the kids from "The Squid and the Whale."

BigChiefFan 10-06-2006 01:09 PM

I don't agree with alot of what was said, but it was entertaining.

tk13 10-06-2006 01:11 PM

I haven't seen the Inside the NFL clip, I want to see it now.

Halfcan 10-06-2006 01:12 PM

Cards beating us-was the guy on crack when he wrote that.

Keep fuckin doubting our Defense dumbazz!

NewChief 10-06-2006 01:13 PM

Hey, he went from diapers to Transformers in a couple of years. He's making progress.

TrickyNicky 10-06-2006 01:18 PM

We've known he's insecure for a while now. He is just pissed.

tk13 10-06-2006 01:18 PM

Looking at the schedule, Inside the NFL will be on HBO...7 pm ET tonight, 4:20 am ET and 11 am ET Saturday.

Hammock Parties 10-06-2006 01:21 PM

****ing idiot.

|Zach| 10-06-2006 01:22 PM

I gotta say. It was a strange thing to see.

StcChief 10-06-2006 01:24 PM

Cards are getting the home field automatic +3.....
It wont' be that close.....We win by at least 10.

Chargers at home yes.

SF vs. Raiders pickup IMO
but SF should beat the east bay convicts.

HemiEd 10-06-2006 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13
"Can you think of any analogies where the Martyball concept can be applied outside of football? What about folding a $500 pot when you're $5 from all-in because you're afraid someone will get you on the river? Working the machine for a walk in a batting cage? Five-hitting your way to a 19, then surrendering because the dealer is showing a face card? Landing a three-way with the Olsen twins, only to have them walk out because you fell asleep halfway through?

ROFL

I just heard an interview with Marty defending his actions. He said they do not award style points.

morphius 10-06-2006 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Zach)
I gotta say. It was a strange thing to see.

It just reminded me that he runs angry. People want him to be happy, but from his own interview he isn't happy when he is playing and he doesn't care to be. Happy is not the way that he plays. It is odd, but almost expected from the people paying attention.

Hammock Parties 10-06-2006 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StcChief
Cards are getting the home field automatic +3.....

We're favored, actually.

Crashride 10-06-2006 01:32 PM

The fact of the matter is Larry is more dedicated and hard on himself than any other back in the NFL. Those "fragile" moments are him wanting to do something great and striving every play to make it happen. He was the number 1 pick in everyones fantasy team because of the numbers he produces. Hes used to producing those numbers and with the line he has now he might get a little frustrated but I tell you what no one has more heart. Plus he makes it sound like thats the only reason he took the cards over the chiefs...and he talks about marino not knowing what hes talking about.

Baby Lee 10-06-2006 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13
4. Mike Tirico officially starts to look like one of the kids from "The Squid and the Whale."

I hope he wasn't referring to the one who jacked off in the library and wiped his spunk on the stacks. :Lin: