ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Goodell enforcing more stupid rules to make the game less fun (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275121)

RunKC 08-06-2013 06:38 PM

Goodell enforcing more stupid rules to make the game less fun

Didn't see this posted anywhere, and if so **** it. This deserves its own thread.

No dancing, salutes or spinning ball: NFL cracks down on celebrating
By Will Brinson | NFL Writer
August 6, 2013 1:39 pm ET

The NFL is cracking down on ball-spinning celebrations in 2013. (USATSI)
Steve Smith hasn't really lost a step at the age of 34 -- and he'll tell you as much -- but he might have to figure out a new celebration this season. That's because the NFL will apparently emphasize cracking down against spinning the ball and a number of other player celebrations.

Michael David Smith of Pro Football Talk first pieced together the fact that multiple officials around the league are informing players that spinning the ball in celebration next year could result in a 15-yard penalty.

It's not necessarily a new rule per se, however: "throwing or shoving the ball" already fell under unsportsmanlike penalties in 2012.

Additionally, an NFL spokesperson told Deadspin.com that the league doesn't intend to penalize players who spin the ball in celebration after a touchdown, only on the actual field of play.

Unfortunately for a player like the Panthers' Smith, it's kind of his signature move. He said he'd be willing to make a change or "alter' his spin to comply with the rules however.

“We're working it out,” said Smith said when asked about how he'd handle the change.

There will be LOTS of outrage over the NFL cracking down on players engaging in these sorts of celebrationsl. Some of it is justified: spinning the ball is a cool celebration, requires some skill and is relatively harmless. Spinning the ball -- or spiking it, throwing it, shoving it and pointing it -- is not like making a throat-slashing gesture, which seems forbidden for good reason.

But as long as the league is fine with players spinning after a touchdown, I've got no problem with this, frankly. We don't need someone spinning the ball every single time they pick up a first down. Save the celebrations for the end zone.

Dayze 08-06-2013 06:40 PM

I thought the HOF game looked different. I commented in that thread too. Shit my wife even noticed it.

I like it.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 08-06-2013 06:43 PM

Dumb

Hammock Parties 08-06-2013 06:44 PM

No more Tamba posing.

kysirsoze 08-06-2013 06:45 PM

Really glad Goodell is standing up for that 1% of the fanbase that is so ****ing aggressively lame that they cannot stand the sight of people having fun. It's about damn time.

Mav 08-06-2013 06:46 PM

Wait, in a country that embraces the military, now you are going to ban the SALUTE?

GTFOH with that noise. The first time a ref penalizes a player for saluting, I hope a bunch of vets run out of the stands and beat his ass into oblivion.

TribalElder 08-06-2013 06:47 PM

This year will be odd. I think people will come unglued when the running back gets an unnecessary roughness penalty for leading with the crown of the helmet.

Moar rule.. Derp

notorious 08-06-2013 06:47 PM

What about Sammie Parker's celebration?!

Easy 6 08-06-2013 06:47 PM

I HATE IT.

No, we dont need five minute long dances in the end zone, or after every sack... but every, single, simple little gesture needs to be squashed?

For every good thing this jackass does, he totally jacks up three... i hope and pray he doesnt last as long as Rozell or Tagliabue.

Easy 6 08-06-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 9863561)
Really glad Goodell is standing up for that 1% of the fanbase that is so ****ing aggressively lame that they cannot stand the sight of people having fun. It's about damn time.

This, too.

That guy can go fist himself.

DeezNutz 08-06-2013 06:49 PM

Goodell is a ****ing clown and one of the biggest hypocrites in sports.

cdcox 08-06-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9863539)

No dancing, salutes or spinning ball: NFL cracks down on celebrating

Broncos SB wins are further tainted.

KCrockaholic 08-06-2013 06:53 PM

I hate that piece of shit. Goodell is the worst commissioner in sports. Eat a bag of cocks Goodell.

Easy 6 08-06-2013 06:55 PM

Next up... high fives and butt smacks from coaches...

One is too arrogant, the other too gay... they gotta go.

Buehler445 08-06-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9863570)
Goodell is a ****ing clown and one of the biggest hypocrites in sports.

Ayep.