ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Six suicides by NFL players in the last two years. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267355)

Hammock Parties 12-04-2012 06:07 AM

Six suicides by NFL players in the last two years.

And now seven.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/oth...=feeds-newsxml

Quote:

The motive for Belcher's murder-suicide is unknown at this point, but authorities will undoubtedly consider the impact of head injuries he may have sustained playing in the NFL.

In the past two years, the suicides of six NFL players have been linked to chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), which is caused by repeated blows to the head.

Sufferers can show symptoms such as memory loss, aggression, confusion and depression which may appear within months or many decades later. Later in life it can eventually cause dementia.

Experts believe CTE may be caused by the loss of neurons and scarring of brain tissue among other injuries caused by repeated concussion.
It changes brain cells' cytoskeletons, which is thought to be due to damage to cerebral blood vessels. The condition is virtually indistinguishable from Alzheimer’s.

Players who have committed suicide in recent years, with possible links to the condition, include:

Dave Duerson: This two-time Super Bowl winner shot himself in February 2011 after texting family members asking for his brain to be examined for CTE.

Wade Belak: The former Nashville Predator was found dead in September 2011, having hanged himself in a Toronto hotel room.

Junior Seau: In May 2012 the former San Diego Charger died of a gunshot wound to the chest. He was found by his girlfriend at his home in California.

Kurt Crain: The South Alabama associate head football coach, who once played in the NFL, shot himself in April 2012. He had had reportedly been suffering from a severe prostate infection.

Ray Easterling: Also in April, this one-time Atlanta Falcons star shot himself at home after struggling to cope with dementia.

O.J. Murdock: In July, the 25-year-old Tennessee Titans wide receiver fatally shot himself while sitting in his car after texting his coach to apologise.

Ace Gunner 12-04-2012 06:29 AM

no more rope -- that could save one life.

Saul Good 12-04-2012 07:15 AM

When did the Nashville Predators join the NFL?

cdcox 12-04-2012 07:20 AM

Rates among NFL players need to be compared to the rates that occur in the normal population.

For example 53 roster spots, 32 teams, each spot being turned over every 4 years on average for 40 years gives a suicide rate of around 20 per 100,000 people per year, which is in the ballpark of suicide rates among US males. I'm not saying that there is nothing to this, but it is way too early to jump to any conclusions.

mikey23545 12-04-2012 07:24 AM

And Pioli knew about all 7 before they happened.

Lonewolf Ed 12-04-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9179249)
When did the Nashville Predators join the NFL?

The article is from a UK publication. They don't know NFL from Arena League.

KCWolfman 12-04-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolf Ed (Post 9179291)
The article is from a UK publication. They don't know NFL from Arena League.

And most people here don't know Arena League from NHL.

He was a filthy Avalanche Defensiveman player (sorry, Packard, it's true) and then played for multiple teams in the NHL.

He was the third in a string of suicides in the NHL over a 4 month span.

But I do believe that Pioli probably knew about it and tried to cover it up.

mikey23545 12-04-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9179297)
And most people here don't know Arena League from NHL.

He was a filthy Avalanche Defensiveman player (sorry, Packard, it's true) and then played for multiple teams in the NHL.

He was the third in a string of suicides in the NHL over a 4 month span.

But I do believe that Pioli probably knew about it and tried to cover it up.

That son of a bitch is everywhere.

Gonzo 12-04-2012 08:50 AM

I blame Pioli for 9-11. Also, we need better Plane control. You can only buy a plane if you've passed a psyche exam.

ChiTown 12-04-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 9179401)
I blame Pioli for 9-11. Also, we need better Plane control. You can only buy a plane if you've passed a psyche exam.

Yeah, but there is no guarantee that it won't just break apart in mid-air...

WV 12-04-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 9179258)
Rates among NFL players need to be compared to the rates that occur in the normal population.

For example 53 roster spots, 32 teams, each spot being turned over every 4 years on average for 40 years gives a suicide rate of around 20 per 100,000 people per year, which is in the ballpark of suicide rates among US males. I'm not saying that there is nothing to this, but it is way too early to jump to any conclusions.

Stop using logic.

loochy 12-04-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 9179401)

Yeah but think about it...what are planes intended to do? Kill people, that's what.

The Poz 12-04-2012 09:16 AM

The Belak incident wasn't suicide. Accidental.

Reerun_KC 12-04-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9179446)
Yeah but think about it...what are planes intended to do? Kill people, that's what.

We should outlaw cars as well... They kill millions each year.

GloryDayz 12-04-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 9179258)

My God, the facts are deafening!! But please add the age demographic to the topic too. If we were to further add the "Spoiled rich kids who were dirt-poor just a year earlier" column, it would certainly be interesting but it might not be PC. It's like so many relevant points that are banned from logical conversations because it's not convenient for some...

But, as I read in another post, banning rope holds a lot of promise for saving lives all over the world...