ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   NFLmocks.com has us drafting..... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283286)

In58men 04-28-2014 03:06 PM

NFLmocks.com has us drafting.....

#23 – Kansas City Chiefs – Brandin Cooks – WR – Oregon State

Andy Reid loves receivers who can run and few do it better in this 2014 NFL mock draft. Brandin Cooks doesn’t have much height to offer at 5’10″ but his speed, agility, hands and vision make him something the Kansas City Chiefs don’t have, and should want.

nflmocks.com/2014/04/26/2014-nfl-mock-draft-update-trade-fever/

Thoughts?

Saccopoo 04-28-2014 03:08 PM

Sounds okay to me.

OldSchool 04-28-2014 03:13 PM

That's fine.

The Franchise 04-28-2014 03:15 PM

:clap:

planetdoc 04-28-2014 04:58 PM

I was amazed just looking at Cooks and Bekham's combine video. Cooks was playing so much faster than everyone else (watch from 18s mark).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XV-Qx2eH8S4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SAUTO 04-28-2014 05:31 PM

In
Posted via Mobile Device

farmerchief 04-28-2014 06:34 PM

About time we draft a playmaker, I'm good!

OldSchool 04-28-2014 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetdoc (Post 10591385)
I was amazed just looking at Cooks and Bekham's combine video. Cooks was playing so much faster than everyone else (watch from 18s mark).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XV-Qx2eH8S4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He was so quick that he dropped the ball . . . He looks so damn tiny and has such short arms though. We'll still need to draft a potential #1 WR either later in this draft or next year, to be groom to replace Bowe in 2-3 years.

QFFL 04-28-2014 08:39 PM

Most of the mock drafts let us take a WR in the first round. I actually prefer to wait on WRs. I believe the 2nd tier WRs after Watkins and Evans are not that far apart from 3rd tier WRs.

I am confident Andy Reid will be able to find a very good one in the 2nd or even 3rd round.

DTLB58 04-28-2014 08:43 PM

Better than a OG but I think I prefer Beckham.

planetdoc 04-28-2014 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10591620)
He was so quick that he dropped the ball . . . He looks so damn tiny and has such short arms though. We'll still need to draft a potential #1 WR either later in this draft or next year, to be groom to replace Bowe in 2-3 years.

size matters. It made a difference to the packers as well. Its no surprise that the top NFL WR over the last 2yrs have been well over 6' tall.

Dorsey obviously likes tall corners (to match up with tall wrs). It just makes sense that he wouldnt waste premium picks on short wrs.

Mr_Tomahawk 04-28-2014 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QFFL (Post 10591852)
Most of the mock drafts let us take a WR in the first round. I actually prefer to wait on WRs. I believe the 2nd tier WRs after Watkins and Evans are not that far apart from 3rd tier WRs.

I am confident Andy Reid will be able to find a very good one in the 2nd or even 3rd round.

Great first post...minus the whole 2nd rnd pick that we do not have at the moment.

Saccopoo 04-29-2014 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 10592039)
Great first post...minus the whole 2nd rnd pick that we do not have at the moment.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/27...nochildren.gif

spanky 52 04-29-2014 07:17 AM

Quote:

Welcome to CP. Hope you have thick skin cause some of these guys can be brutal. I agree that the Chiefs can find a wr in later rounds. It wasn't the offense that lost that playoff game. I'm hoping for either a pass rusher or cb in the first.

Saccopoo 04-29-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetdoc (Post 10591876)
size matters. It made a difference to the packers as well. Its no surprise that the top NFL WR over the last 2yrs have been well over 6' tall.

Dorsey obviously likes tall corners (to match up with tall wrs). It just makes sense that he wouldnt waste premium picks on short wrs.

It's what worries me about Cooks as well in terms of his long term success potential at the next level as a true #1 WR. I don't think he's that guy. However, with Bowe on the roster, I don't think he needs to be that guy and would provide the team with a Randall Cobb/DeSean Jackson level guy.

It's obvious that Reid doesn't mind that type of receiver in his system as McCluster was basically the featured receiver for the entire season due to Bowe's inability to focus/be in shape/catch the ball/run routes/etc. until the final game. I think that Cooks is every bit the receiver that McCluster was in this offense and has substantially more burst and seperation than McC.

Now, I don't think that Beckham has the height limitations of Cooks due to his ridiculously long arms and huge hands and vertical. I do think he's got the capability of being a true #1 WR.

However, I wouldn't bitch if Cooks was the pick. He's a hell of a receiver and has great focus and instincts on the field. He uses his hands well to catch the ball away from his body and high points well. He also has very good feet and hips and turns into the ball well as well as gets himself right and upfield in a hurry. He'd be a huge boon to the offense. And they did attempt to sign another guy who could be considered a smaller, fast receiver in Sanders.

They could do worse than Cooks with that pick and he'd be a player that would immediately contribute.

Halfcan 04-29-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

:shake: :rolleyes:

Welcome to the Planet!

BlackHelicopters 04-29-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

:facepalm:

RunKC 04-29-2014 09:33 PM

I'm actually shocked that Jarvis Landry hasn't gotten any first round buzz. I don't give a shit about his timed 4.77 forty. His tape is very good and if Odell Beckham wasn't getting all the attention, he'd be way higher up with more production.

This kid is has the best hands in the draft.

Saccopoo 04-29-2014 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 10594263)
I'm actually shocked that Jarvis Landry hasn't gotten any first round buzz. I don't give a shit about his timed 4.77 forty. His tape is very good and if Odell Beckham wasn't getting all the attention, he'd be way higher up with more production.

This kid is has the best hands in the draft.

He's totally overhyped.

The dude couldn't jump over a phone book, is short and runs a 4.8 40. I'm actually shocked that guys have in him the first three rounds.

You want to draft a guy that has fantastic hands, runs great routes and put up sick production in college, and has a real man's body/frame then go get BYU's Cody Hoffman. He's the exact same guy as Landry, with the exception of being 5" taller, 20+ lbs. heavier and faster (4.65 vs. Landry's 4.77 40 yard dash). Might even be there in the fifth/sixth round versus pissing a third or fourth rounder away on Landry.

If this team drafts ****ing Jarvis Landry with anything other than a UDFA contract, Imma gunna be pissed. **** that.

OldSchool 04-29-2014 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 10594378)
He's totally overhyped.

The dude couldn't jump over a phone book, is short and runs a 4.8 40. I'm actually shocked that guys have in him the first three rounds.

You want to draft a guy that has fantastic hands, runs great routes and put up sick production in college, and has a real man's body/frame then go get BYU's Cody Hoffman. He's the exact same guy as Landry, with the exception of being 5" taller, 20+ lbs. heavier and faster (4.65 vs. Landry's 4.77 40 yard dash). Might even be there in the fifth/sixth round versus pissing a third or fourth rounder away on Landry.

If this team drafts ****ing Jarvis Landry with anything other than a UDFA contract, Imma gunna be pissed. **** that.

Hoffman's hands are shit compared to Landry's. No WR in this draft has better hands and is better at catching through contact than Landry is. That's why so many people rate him much higher than his tested numbers might indicate.

Chiefshrink 04-29-2014 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetdoc (Post 10591385)

Yep ! Said this from the first day I saw Cooks run the gauntlet at the combine. He has Barry Sanders 'water bug' stop/start burst and agility without losing any speed. Not to mention elite speed with great hands.

Saccopoo 04-29-2014 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10594530)
Hoffman's hands are shit compared to Landry's. No WR in this draft has better hands and is better at catching through contact than Landry is. That's why so many people rate him much higher than his tested numbers might indicate.

That's super. I'm glad he's honed that "catching through contact" skill because that's all he'll be able to do as he'll be blanketed by every/anybody on the defensive side of the ball as he's short, slow and can't jump. Exactly what I'd love to spend a draft pick on, especially at the wide receiver position.

Let's see the positives:

Good hands

Negatives:

Short
Slow
Can't Jump
One Year Starter
Piled up stats opposite of Odell Beckham

Sounds like a potential first rounder to me, especially in this draft where there are a bunch of 6'3" guys who run a 4.4 40 and have 36" verticals with very good college production behind those measurables.

OldSchool 04-30-2014 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 10594644)
That's super. I'm glad he's honed that "catching through contact" skill because that's all he'll be able to do as he'll be blanketed by every/anybody on the defensive side of the ball as he's short, slow and can't jump. Exactly what I'd love to spend a draft pick on, especially at the wide receiver position.

Let's see the positives:

Good hands

Negatives:

Short
Slow
Can't Jump
One Year Starter
Piled up stats opposite of Odell Beckham

Sounds like a potential first rounder to me, especially in this draft where there are a bunch of 6'3" guys who run a 4.4 40 and have 36" verticals with very good college production behind those measurables.

Who said anything about the 1st round? At worst Landry is Jason Avant in the NFL, a reliable slot guy who moves the chains on 3rd downs. At best he's the next Hines Ward or Anquan Boldin who, guess what, also happened to run a 4.7 at the combine.

You'd be a fool if you watched his tape and came away thinking that he was actually a 4.7 guy on the field and just an Ok receiver. Last year's rookie sensation, Keenan Allen, clocked a 4.71 at his pro day.

Kiimo 04-30-2014 01:57 PM

Strengths:
Explosive play-maker
Very fast
Consistently gets separation
Weapon on third down
Great hands
Intelligent
Stretches the defense
Forces teams to keep a safety deep
Quick release off of the line
Excellent route runner
Tough
Short, but strong
Plug and play; ready to contribute as a slot receiver
High floor
Upside

Weaknesses:
Very short
Short wing span

I am IN ON COOKS.

Sfeihc 04-30-2014 02:53 PM

Cooks, Beckham or Lee it doesn't matter to me........

Discuss Thrower 04-30-2014 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sfeihc (Post 10595693)
Cooks, Beckham or Lee it doesn't matter to me........

.. especially since the Chiefs are gonna take an Oh-Gee!

saphojunkie 04-30-2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 10595708)
.. especially since the Chiefs are gonna take an Oh-Gee!

Marquise Lee grew up in south central, so I think he qualifies.

Kiimo 04-30-2014 05:37 PM

Does Cooks remind anyone else of Percy Harvin? Would you take a young healthy Percy Harvin on this team?

COOKS

OldSchool 04-30-2014 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 10595961)
Does Cooks remind anyone else of Percy Harvin? Would you take a young healthy Percy Harvin on this team?

COOKS

Cooks is small with an equally small catch radius. In the right system, he can flourish primarily as a slot receiver who doesn't have to face press coverage too often. Or he could end up having a Tavon Austin-esque rookie season and struggle to do anything notable as a receiver.

Mr_Tomahawk 04-30-2014 09:39 PM

Who were the last under 6 foot receivers drafted in the first who went on to have a good NFL career?

Desean Smith? Steve Smith?

Bewbies 04-30-2014 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 10596663)
Who were the last under 6 foot receivers drafted in the first who went on to have a good NFL career?

Those guys weren't 1st round picks.

OldSchool 04-30-2014 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 10596663)

So far Kendall Wright has been pretty good for the Titans. However, that's because he made the move to primarily being a slot receiver in 2013 because he struggled on the outside. Also have to consider the fact that he doesn't score very many TDs and isn't a red zone threat by any stretch of imagination.

OldSchool 04-30-2014 10:25 PM

Better question: How many small, fast, and quick WRs under 5'10" have been successful in the NFL with long and productive careers as true #1 WRs in the sense that Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, AJ Green, Demaryius Thomas, and Brandon Marshall are #1 WRs?

The only one I can think of is Steve Smith in his prime. But even he had issues in the red zone.

Chiefshrink 05-01-2014 08:50 PM

Cooks won't be there at 23 if I'm a betting man. He will go somewhere between 15 and 20 IMHO.

Chiefshrink 05-01-2014 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10596013)
Cooks is small with an equally small catch radius. In the right system, he can flourish primarily as a slot receiver who doesn't have to face press coverage too often. Or he could end up having a Tavon Austin-esque rookie season and struggle to do anything notable as a receiver.

If the Rams would have had a decent O-line to keep Bradford upright I assure you Austin would have benefited greatly. With that being said, you could make the argument that Bradford is heading down the David Carr road of being psychologically ruined because the organization continues to let Bradford run for his life/get demolished.

milkman 05-01-2014 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 10598415)
If the Rams would have had a decent O-line to keep Bradford upright I assure Austin would have benefited greatly. With that being said, you could make the argument that Bradford is heading down the David Carr road of being psychologically ruined because the organization continues to let Bradford run for his life/get demolished.

David Carr got demoished because of David Carr.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-01-2014 09:27 PM

Quote:

s.

You want to draft a guy that has fantastic hands, runs great routes and put up sick production in college, and has a real man's body/frame then go get BYU's Cody Hoffman..

Imagine ****ing that.

Sorter 05-01-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10598466)
Imagine ****ing that.

LMAO

The Franchise 05-01-2014 09:45 PM

So why is Cody Hoffman seen as a 5th rounder at best?

OldSchool 05-01-2014 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10598498)
So why is Cody Hoffman seen as a 5th rounder at best?

Because he is mediocre. He's slow and can't get open at the next level. Plus he crapped all over himself at the Senior Bowl.

Mr_Tomahawk 05-01-2014 09:47 PM

Quote:

He's totally overhyped.

Sac pimping another Utah kid. Shocker.

The Franchise 05-01-2014 10:02 PM

894 yards with 5 TDs apparently equals sick production.

Saccopoo 05-01-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10598500)
Because he is mediocre. He's slow and can't get open at the next level. Plus he crapped all over himself at the Senior Bowl.

But yet a 5'11" guy named Landy, who is slower (4.77 versus Cody's 4.65), shorter, is worthy of a high round pick?

And that's my point - Landry is 5" shorter, slower and has roughly the same vertical as both Hoffman and Abbrederis - two receivers who have had substantially more production over their entire careers than Landry, who only started 12 games at LSU. But everyone is all over Landry's jock for whatever reason versus guys like Hoffman and Abbrederis.

And anyone basing anything off the Senior Bowl is an idiot.

Ryan Sims anyone?

Chiefshrink 05-01-2014 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10598462)
David Carr got demoished because of David Carr.

Carr was not totally innocent BUT the Texans O-line during his tenure was damn near non-existent. And not becoming highly skittish year after year running for your life was highly unlikely for anyone. His confidence was ruined by the end of his 3rd yr IMO. By the time Kubiak got there Carr was done and he knew it and so did Kubiak.

MahiMike 05-02-2014 10:46 AM

Andy's new DeSean Jackson.

ModSocks 05-02-2014 10:55 AM

I've settled in on Brandon Cooks. The dude has Gamer written all over him. He might be small, but he goes up and contests for the ball better than some of these bigger receivers like Moncrief. His hands are fantastic, he goes up and snatches the ball out of the air instead of waiting for it to come to him. He takes care of his body and goes down or out of bounds when he should and he seems to have great vision.

It's like watching a younger, faster Steve Smith. He looks like a polished vet receiver out there.

The Franchise 05-02-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 10598978)
I've settled in on Brandon Cooks. The dude has Gamer written all over him. He might be small, but he goes up and contests for the ball better than some of these bigger receivers like Moncrief. His hands are fantastic, he goes up and snatches the ball out of the air instead of waiting for it to come to him. He takes care of his body and goes down or out of bounds when he should and he seems to have great vision.

It's like watching a younger, faster Steve Smith. He looks like a polished vet receiver out there.

Careful. He can only be a slot receiver and never a #1.

RealSNR 05-02-2014 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10594530)

You know who had great hands?

Bobby Sippio.

RealSNR 05-02-2014 01:07 PM

Where are you getting this "can't beat the press" crap, OldSchool? Cooks was double-teamed all freakin year once Markus Wheaton moved onto the pros. He led the nation in receiving yards and took 2nd in receptions.

And do I really have to say this again? He did that not as Brian Shay for Emporia State or even Run-and-shoot QB for SMU/Houston. He did it in a PRO STYLE offense for three consecutive seasons in the Pac 12.

I'm willing to bet Brandin Cooks ends up leaning heavily towards the Steve Smith/Wes Welker side of the short WR spectrum over the Dexter McCluster side

RealSNR 05-02-2014 01:15 PM

There it is outright. A Steve Smith comparison.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-pro-co...-Brandin-Cooks

Tell me those qualities don't appeal to what Alex Smith likes in a receiver? Using quickness to GET OPEN, superb accurate routes, and turning short screens into big plays

milkman 05-03-2014 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 10598575)
Carr was not totally innocent BUT the Texans O-line during his tenure was damn near non-existent. And not becoming highly skittish year after year running for your life was highly unlikely for anyone. His confidence was ruined by the end of his 3rd yr IMO. By the time Kubiak got there Carr was done and he knew it and so did Kubiak.

Bad O-Lines give up 30-40 sacks.

When you get sacked 60 times or more, that's on you.

Carr could not read a defense.
He locked on to his primary receiver and he held onto the ball too long.

He was never going to be successful, and it had nothing to do with confidence, and everything to do with competence.