ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Star Wars - Theatrical Version (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=147917)

Fire Me Boy! 09-17-2006 11:09 AM

Star Wars - Theatrical Version

So I let the inner geek in my out on Tuesday and bought the "new" original theatrical release DVDs of Star Wars. Watched Ep. 4 on Wednesday, Ep. 5 last night and just finished Ep. 6 this morning before the football games started.

I just gotta say, aside from being sick, things are right in the world again. Greedo never shoots. Anakin is not Hayden Christensen. Things are good.

Hammock Parties 09-17-2006 11:10 AM

They're shitty laserdisc rips. They didn't even bother to clean them up. No thanks.

I'll take my pristine special editions without the matte lines.

Deberg_1990 09-17-2006 11:12 AM

I dont think i will be buying them. No Anamorphic widescreen wich sucks if you have a WS TV. I watched a few scenes from the last box set wit my kids the other day. I must say, the picture and sound is outstanding. Yes, Han shoots first, but i really cant complain too much.

Fire Me Boy! 09-17-2006 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs
They're shitty laserdisc rips. They didn't even bother to clean them up. No thanks.

I'll take my pristine special editions without the matte lines.

I know that, but I'd rather have "shitty laserdisc rips" than Greedo shooting first, thank you very much.

And I have the actual laserdiscs, but get tired of flipping them over ever 45 minutes.

Fire Me Boy! 09-17-2006 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990
I dont think i will be buying them. No Anamorphic widescreen wich sucks if you have a WS TV. I watched a few scenes from the last box set wit my kids the other day. I must say, the picture and sound is outstanding. Yes, Han shoots first, but i really cant complain too much.

To each his own, and while I have a WS tv and would LOVE to have the anamorphic widescreen, I would rather sacrifice the quality and have the artistic integrity of the film hold up. Give me the originals ANY DAY over the SE.

Gravedigger 09-17-2006 11:14 AM

The only thing I would like to see the originals for is that at the end of RoTJ you get to see the actor that plays Darth Vader in the suit but in the redone version dvd's they released they replaced the old vader with Hayden Christiansan .... crappy move I must say AND THEN they don't replace the old Obi Wan with Ewan Mcgregor. That screw up still boggles my mind.

keg in kc 09-17-2006 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!
To each his own, and while I have a WS tv and would LOVE to have the anamorphic widescreen, I would rather sacrifice the quality and have the artistic integrity of the film hold up. Give me the originals ANY DAY over the SE.

Wouldn't the special editions be the ones with the true "artistic integrity" since Lucas hmself made the changes to make the films closer to his vision?

Deberg_1990 09-17-2006 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger
The only thing I would like to see the originals for is that at the end of RoTJ you get to see the actor that plays Darth Vader in the suit but in the redone version dvd's they released they replaced the old vader with Hayden Christiansan .... crappy move I must say AND THEN they don't replace the old Obi Wan with Ewan Mcgregor. That screw up still boggles my mind.

Agreed.....WTF was Lucas thinking??? But i guess you could say that about alot of his revisionist ideas.

Deberg_1990 09-17-2006 11:22 AM

In interested in seeing the new cut of Superman 2 (The Donner cut) that comes out in Late November.

Sure-Oz 09-17-2006 11:51 AM

I dont care that much to have the originals, ill just keep the special edition set i have, screw dishin out more money to lucas.

RealSNR 09-17-2006 11:59 AM

I still have the originals on VHS. Classic is better

Hammock Parties 09-17-2006 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR
I still have the originals on VHS. Classic is better

Yeah. I love the ones I taped off the USA Network. I can masturbate to the "Wings" commercials.

http://img432.imageshack.us/img432/6...bernardbb3.jpg

Fire Me Boy! 09-17-2006 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc
Wouldn't the special editions be the ones with the true "artistic integrity" since Lucas hmself made the changes to make the films closer to his vision?

Depends on whether or not you remember Lucas and Spielberg talking in the mid-1980s in front of a Congressional panel about how films should not be altered from the original, even colorized.

keg in kc 09-17-2006 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!
Depends on whether or not you remember Lucas and Spielberg talking in the mid-1980s in front of a Congressional panel about how films should not be altered from the original, even colorized.

Were they talking about films being Turner-ized, or films being changed by the filmmakers themselves?

Deberg_1990 09-17-2006 12:12 PM

I wonder how many times these films have been released to video/LD or DVD???

The ones i can think of anyways:

The old 1980s VHS versions

A VHS box set that came out around 1990 or so?

The THX remastered LD Box set versions around 1995.

Then there was another LD version witout all the fancey extras that came out a year or so after that. (Which i actually own)

The came the Special Editions. and of course they were not released on DVD until just a few years ago....anyone remember any others??