ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Reinstalling Existing Windows (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=251324)

BWillie 10-16-2011 01:27 AM

Reinstalling Existing Windows

I have an Acer Aspire 5336, Intel Celeron 2.3 GHZ processor, 219 GB HD, 2 GB memory. I know, not the best computer. It has Windows 7 on it, and I need to reinstall windows. I can see the original windows 7 registration key under my computer properties. I don't have any discs it came with. Can I go to microsoft.com or something and download windows 7 and use the existing registration key that is listed on my computer?

Also, anybody know how to actually shut the laptop and just use on another desktop monitor while the laptop is closed?

'Hamas' Jenkins 10-16-2011 01:31 AM

A VGA cable for your video. As far as your computer is concerned, you should have been prompted to make several recovery discs whenever you first registered your copy of Windows. Acers used to come with them as well. If not, the company can send you a recovery disc.

rocknrolla 10-16-2011 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 7998074)
I have an Acer Aspire 5336, Intel Celeron 2.3 GHZ processor, 219 GB HD, 2 GB memory. I know, not the best computer. It has Windows 7 on it, and I need to reinstall windows. I can see the original windows 7 registration key under my computer properties. I don't have any discs it came with. Can I go to microsoft.com or something and download windows 7 and use the existing registration key that is listed on my computer?

Also, anybody know how to actually shut the laptop and just use on another desktop monitor while the laptop is closed?

I don't know about the reinstall. I had the same problem. Best buy took me for $150.00 to reinstall and back up. On my Gateway. I use a VGA or HDMI cable to my TV when it is off. Then turn it on. But you need to go to power saver in control panel, When it asks what to do when closed hit nothing.

Fish 10-16-2011 09:01 AM

The number you see in computer properties is not your Windows license key. That will not work for reinstalling Windows. Lots of people confuse that..

If you don't have your original license key from the install media you can usually reinstall the exact same type of Windows install using a different key. If you have Win7 x86 Home version you can reinstall using that exact type with a different key. But I'd bet that you have an OEM version from Acer. Which makes it more difficult. You may have to contact Acer for install media if you want todo it the easy way.

DaFace 10-16-2011 09:07 AM

As Fish said, the number listed in Windows won't be the correct key. However, take a look on the bottom of the laptop for a greenish Windows sticker. A lot of the time, manufacturers will put the number there. It should be a 25-digit code, separated by dashes in groups of five.

If you don't have the media and don't want to mess with Acer, you can probably get one via torrent if it came to that.

Shaid 10-16-2011 09:18 AM

It's actually possible that they have a separate smaller partiition on the drive with windows on it to do your reinstall. If you call them they can tell you for sure. I've seen them do that in the past. Otherwise, as was previously said, you need to call them for a recovery disk and might have to pay something for it.

KCFalcon59 10-16-2011 12:24 PM

Download Belarc Advisor. It will find your product key along with all software info on your pc. It list about any information you can possibly need.