ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Is Belichik's ego out of control? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=240422)

B_Ambuehl 01-17-2011 10:43 AM

Is Belichik's ego out of control?

I get the feeling the last few years the man has taken his opinion of his own ability too far and it really shows in the playoffs against good teams. New England has been pounded and dominated the last 2 years against less than stellar opposition.

when you look at the Belichik approach to teambuilding it's obvious he wants 3 things:

1. He doesn't want to pay anybody

2. He doesn't want to deal with distractions

3. He'd rather win with overachievers who won't question anything than talented players who might be apt to open their mouths.

Take this years draft and personnel moves. He likely knew Moss's days were numbered but he still passed on every available upper tier receiving threat. Can you tell me New England's offense couldn't use a Dez Bryant? I believe his receivers had 1 catch yesterday. Also look at his outside pass rushers. In the last 2 years New England has passed on countless quality pass rushers in the draft, in favor of lugs like Jermaine Cunningham. They didn't have a single sack on the QB yesterday and that's inexcusable considering the quantity of draft picks they've had the last few years.

Belchik seems to forget he was able to win superbowls because he had playmakers like Corey Dillon, Richard Seymour, and Rodney Harrison - 3 of the better players and 3 of the more explosive personalities in the league.

Playing with a team full of choirboys next to a hall of fame QB might get you into the playoffs consistently, but to win you need playmakers.

Dante84 01-17-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_Ambuehl (Post 7363325)
I get the feeling the last few years the man has taken his opinion of his own ability too far and it really shows in the playoffs against good teams. New England has been pounded and dominated the last 2 years against less than stellar opposition.

when you look at the Belichik approach to teambuilding it's obvious he wants 3 things:

1. He doesn't want to pay anybody

2. He doesn't want to deal with distractions

3. He'd rather win with overachievers who won't question anything than talented players who might be apt to open their mouths.

Take this years draft and personnel moves. He likely knew Moss's days were numbered but he still passed on every available upper tier receiving threat. Can you tell me New England's offense couldn't use a Dez Bryant? I believe his receivers had 1 catch yesterday. Also look at his outside pass rushers. In the last 2 years New England has passed on countless quality pass rushers in the draft, in favor of lugs like Jermaine Cunningham. They didn't have a single sack on the QB yesterday and that's inexcusable considering the quantity of draft picks they've had the last few years.

Belchik seems to forget he was able to win superbowls because he had playmakers like Corey Dillon, Richard Seymour, and Rodney Harrison - 3 of the better players and 3 of the more explosive personalities in the league.

Playing with a team full of choirboys next to a hall of fame QB might get you into the playoffs consistently, but to win you need playmakers.

This was a divisional rival game, and it was a 7 point difference. They did not get "pounded and dominated" The Chiefs got "pounded and dominated" by the filthy Ravens.

DaKCMan AP 01-17-2011 10:52 AM

He coached the team to a 14-2 record and lost by 7 points in the playoffs to a team with whom they split in the regular season. Really?

B_Ambuehl 01-17-2011 10:53 AM

I consider the game a pounding even though it was only 7 points on the scoreboard. It wasn't that close. Even at 7 points they were favored by 9 and had a 17 point swing.

But, the point is as Belichiks gotten older his approach to personnel has become even more dramatically "Patriot Way" and that coincides with 2 straight playoff poundings. It's only natural one would question what he's doing differently now then he was several years ago and I believe it's fairly obvious. He thinks he's bigger than the game. He thinks his approach is bigger than the game and thinks he can win without playmakers. Well, he can't.

WebGem 01-17-2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 7363328)
This was a divisional rival game, and it was a 7 point difference. They did not get "pounded and dominated" The Chiefs got "pounded and dominated" by the filthy Ravens.

For the most part I'd disagree with your post. The scoreboard was not reflective of how close the game was. The Jets did pretty much pound and dominate them. They proved they were a better team yesterday, and it really wasn't a close game.

Brock 01-17-2011 10:56 AM

Certainly a more talented receiver would have helped yesterday, and they got zero pressure on Sanchez. But they still should have beaten the Jets pretty handily, based on what they did this season. They just came out flat.

The Bad Guy 01-17-2011 10:58 AM

Shocker this comes from Ambuehl. It's like the rest of the world watches one thing, and he sees the exact opposite. It's like he has mental beer goggles.

Frazod 01-17-2011 11:03 AM

I doubt if his ego's too out of control at the moment.

salame 01-17-2011 11:13 AM

lol wut
http://www.mileanhour.com/files/2010...my-leg-nom.jpg

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-17-2011 11:17 AM

One of the most devastating things for NE is that they've never been able to identify talent at WR, RB, or OLB through the draft.

The defensive scheme is starting to show its age, and their desire to stay with DE-sized OLBs in a league where there is more and more speed seems anachronistic.

Outside of Brady, on offense is there anyone out there who can go out and make a play? Welker might be the most reliable slot WR in the NFL, but at 9.9 YPC, he's not exactly breaking games open.

I don't think you can rely on Jermaine Cunningham, Tully Banta-Cain, and Rob Ninkovich to supply your pass rush.

FAX 01-17-2011 11:19 AM

Considering that the Patriots are coming of a dynasty-like run, yesterday's game should give us hope.

Pats lost at home. Chiefs lost at home.
Pats looked inept. Chiefs looked inept.
Pats passing game sucked. Chiefs passing game sucked.
Pats dropped balls. Chiefs dropped trou.
Pats made mistakes. Chiefs made poo poo on 50 yard line.

FAX

mcaj22 01-17-2011 11:19 AM

good thing they have 3-094-584294 draft picks this year to stock pile and fix these mistakes if needed

B_Ambuehl 01-17-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

One of the most devastating things for NE is that they've never been able to identify talent at WR, RB, or OLB through the draft.

The defensive scheme is starting to show its age, and their desire to stay with DE-sized OLBs in a league where there is more and more speed seems anachronistic.

Outside of Brady, on offense is there anyone out there who can go out and make a play? Welker might be the most reliable slot WR in the NFL, but at 9.9 YPC, he's not exactly breaking games open.

I don't think you can rely on Jermaine Cunningham, Tully Banta-Cain, and Rob Ninkovich to supply your pass rush.

You're exactly right and I think it's more Belichik doesn't want to deal with the talent or pay the talent than it is his inability to identify it. He's run 2 hall of famers off his team in 2 years and traded into the 2nd round about 50 times.

Dante84 01-17-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WebGem (Post 7363347)
For the most part I'd disagree with your post. The scoreboard was not reflective of how close the game was. The Jets did pretty much pound and dominate them. They proved they were a better team yesterday, and it really wasn't a close game.

No.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-17-2011 11:33 AM

I don't know about that. There are plenty of talented guys who STFU and produce (we picked one at 5 this year). I really think that what he wants from his scheme makes it much harder to get the kind of pressure you need on the QB.

If you look at all of the pass rushing OLBs who fit the size requirements they look for, none of those guys ever do much of anything in coverage