ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Grind your own sausage and burger? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306792)

Fire Me Boy! 03-25-2017 03:30 PM

Grind your own sausage and burger?

Anyone do this? I've just gotten into it even though I've had the grinding attachment for my Kitchenaid for years. First try out of the gate was just some ground chuck, but that turned out good. Made some breakfast sausage for pork butt that turned out really well.

Tips, tricks, recipes you want to share?

Nickhead 03-25-2017 03:41 PM

what were your spices for the pork?

i do garlic, onion powders, chili flakes, brown sugar, salt/pepper, sage and thyme. i think thats about it.

Fire Me Boy! 03-25-2017 03:45 PM

Parsley
Chili flakes
Salt
Pepper
Sage
Thyme
Coriander
MSG

It's a Jimmy Dean copycat, and it's very close. I cut the salt in half, and I really don't miss it.

frozenchief 03-25-2017 03:50 PM

If I grind pork or game, I throw in some bacon. Flavor and fat. Usually about 10 percent for pork, about 25 percent for game.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 03-25-2017 03:50 PM

I've found that grinding my own burgers tastes a lot better than the pre-made ones at the store

A few things I've found helpful: let the meat sit out in room temperature for a bit before cooking, I salt the meat when I'm ready to form the patties and cook them (doing it early and storing in the fridge can toughen the meat), try to aim for 20 percent fat with whatever cuts you are using to grind into your burger (your butcher can help you out and add trimmings to your mix). When I'm cooking my goal is to only flip the burger once. And for the love of God people never press on your patty and force the juices out..this drives me nuts when I watch my friends do this on their grills.

Easy 6 03-25-2017 04:04 PM

I think it would be awesome, the mixtures you could come up with are only limited by your imagination

Cheddar, jalapeno and sun dried tomato in a sausage

Bacon, onion and bleu cheese in your burger

On and on it goes

Nickhead 03-25-2017 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12797408)
Parsley
Chili flakes
Salt
Pepper
Sage
Thyme
Coriander
MSG

It's a Jimmy Dean copycat, and it's very close. I cut the salt in half, and I really don't miss it.

this is my 'inspirational' recipe when i toy with herbs/spices. its all i knew growing up in kansas. jimmy dean coupled with williams country gravy mix at 3am was my meal.

getting the right fat content is difficult as all pork is really lean and the cuts are smaller too here. even the bacon will stick to the pan if you arent careful. ROFL

Fire Me Boy! 03-25-2017 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 12797463)
this is my 'inspirational' recipe when i toy with herbs/spices. its all i knew growing up in kansas. jimmy dean coupled with williams country gravy mix at 3am was my meal.

getting the right fat content is difficult as all pork is really lean and the cuts are smaller too here. even the bacon will stick to the pan if you arent careful. ROFL

This is the recipe I've used. I cut the salt in half, and after my first batch, cut the sage just a little. Very close to standard, "regular" Jimmy Dean.

http://www.food.com/recipe/tsr-versi...-wilbur-250325

I've been using butt. Plenty of fat in there.

kccrow 03-25-2017 05:10 PM

Yah Eh. Here's some of my venison recipes. Just change out venison for pork or beef if you're not into wild game, depending on what you like.

Venison Italian Sausage

2 lbs - Venison
2 lbs - Pork Butt Roast
4 tsp - Fennel (cracked)
2 tsp - Ground Black Pepper
2 tsp - Ground White Pepper
3 tsp - Salt (or Pickling Salt or 5 tsp Kosher Salt)
1-1/2 tsp - Garlic Powder
1 cup - Water (cold)

Course grind Venison and Pork Butt Roast. Mix thoroughly. In a bowl, mix all other ingredients. Pour seasoning mix over meat, then mix in thouroughly. Grind again on fine setting. Package for freezing.

Notes: For hot variation, add 1-1/2 tsp of Red Pepper Flakes to seasoning mix.

Venison Breakfast Sausage

1 lb - Venison
1 lb - Pork Butt Roast
2 tsp - Salt (or Pickling Salt or 4.5 tsp Kosher Salt)
1-1/2 tsp - Sage
1/2 tsp - Ground Black Pepper
1/2 tsp - Ground White Pepper
1/2 tsp - Garlic Powder

Course grind Venison and Pork Butt Roast. Mix thoroughly. In a bowl, mix all other ingredients. Pour seasoning mix over meat, then mix in thouroughly. Grind again on fine setting. Package for freezing.

Notes: Adjust sage and garlic per taste. This does not have a heavy sage taste. Add spice w/ red pepper flake per taste -approx 1/2 to 3/4 tsp.

Venison Chorizo

1 lb Pork Butt
1 lb Ground Vension
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
2-1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
1-1/2 Tbsp Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp White Pepper
1 Tbsp Paprika
1 Tbsp Salt
1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
1/2 Cup Cider Vinegar

Course grind Venison and Pork Butt, mix thoroughly. Fine grind mixture again. Add all Seasonings to Cider Vinegar, mix well. Pour over Vinegar/Seasoning mix over Beef/Venison, mix very well. Refrigerate 24 hours.

Titty Meat 03-25-2017 05:18 PM

I grind my own sausage every night

Fire Me Boy! 03-25-2017 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 12797515)

Venison Chorizo

1 lb Pork Butt

1 lb Ground Vension

1 tsp Cayenne Pepper

2-1/2 tsp Garlic Powder

1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning

1-1/2 Tbsp Chili Powder

1/2 tsp Black Pepper

1/2 tsp White Pepper

1 Tbsp Paprika

1 Tbsp Salt

1/4 tsp Ground Ginger

1/2 tsp Ground Cumin

1/2 Cup Cider Vinegar

Course grind Venison and Pork Butt, mix thoroughly. Fine grind mixture again. Add all Seasonings to Cider Vinegar, mix well. Pour over Vinegar/Seasoning mix over Beef/Venison, mix very well. Refrigerate 24 hours.

Will have to try this!

Easy 6 03-25-2017 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12797522)
I grind my own sausage every night

:bravo:

Rasputin 03-25-2017 06:36 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qs35t2xFqdU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think grinding kids would be in bad taste.

MOhillbilly 03-25-2017 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12797408)
Parsley
Chili flakes
Salt
Pepper
Sage
Thyme
Coriander
MSG

Bleh, Jimmy Dean is ****in nasty. Order some Leggs.

HonestChieffan 03-25-2017 09:21 PM

Buy a Lem grinder. Best burger ever is 50% chuck/50% Prime Brisket