ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs begin scheming to fit Brady Quinn (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264838)

Mr. Laz 10-08-2012 06:00 PM

Chiefs begin scheming to fit Brady Quinn

Chiefs start crafting offensive plan with Quinn at QB

BY ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

DAVID EULITT
Chiefs quarterback Brady Quinn will most likely start on Sunday.

Romeo Crennel’s first act as Chiefs head coach last December was to name Kyle Orton as the new starting quarterback. In making the announcement, Crennel expressed plenty of confidence that Orton could help the Chiefs win.

Crennel is now on the verge of making another quarterback change, this one forced by the concussion to Matt Cassel. Crennel didn’t sound on Monday as confident in Brady Quinn, the probable starter in Sunday’s game against the Buccaneers in Tampa, as he was in Orton.

“Kyle is a more experienced guy,’’ Crennel said. “This is a different scenario and a different situation. I know Brady will be ready to play, and Brady is going to do everything he can to help this team win.’’

Having given that less-than-resounding endorsement, Crennel and the Chiefs on Monday began the process of making the quarterback switch. Even at that, Crennel wasn’t ready to declare that Cassel was out for Sunday’s game.

“Not totally, but just from what I’ve seen about concussions, they can be difficult,’’ Crennel said. “The individual is the thing. Some individuals recover faster than others. With the emphasis on concussions in the league, they’re making sure we do due diligence on the player’s health and making sure he’s not rushed back.

“They’re going to run several tests to see where he is. Generally, concussions are not good, but we’re concerned about the safety and welfare of the player and we’re going to give him an opportunity to get well. In the meantime, Brady Quinn has to get ready to play, and Ricky Stanzi has to be ready to play.’’

Still, the Chiefs began crafting the offensive plan for next Sunday’s game with Quinn as their quarterback. It presumably will be a little different than the plan for Sunday’s 9-6 loss to Baltimore, one in which the Chiefs tried 50 running plays but only 18 passes.

“We have to look at the strength of every player we’re going to play in the game. The things Brady does well, we have to tilt the game plan toward those things. If we didn’t, we wouldn’t be very good coaches.’’

The Chiefs won’t have their first practice session of the week until Wednesday. Tight end Tony Moeaki said he didn’t think the transition from Cassel to Quinn would be complicated.

“We did all that work with him in training camp, and he takes reps in practice,’’ Moeaki said. “So we’ll be comfortable if Brady has to go and we’ll make it work.’’

stonedstooge 10-08-2012 06:04 PM

Going to continue to run Jamaal into the ground I presume?

KCUnited 10-08-2012 06:05 PM

Holy shit a Moeaki sighting.

stonedstooge 10-08-2012 06:09 PM

So Romeo, how did you "tilt the gameplan" to play up to Casshole's strengths yesterday? Complimentary passing?

Coogs 10-08-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8993342)
“We have to look at the strength of every player we’re going to play in the game. The things Brady does well, we have to tilt the game plan toward those things. If we didn’t, we wouldn’t be very good coaches.’’

34 rushes, 6 passes. Nuff said!

CoMoChief 10-08-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 8993355)
Holy shit a Moeaki sighting.

No kidding.....its either Bowe with a tiny bit of Baldwin.....no Dexter or Breaston or Moeaki......EVER

the Talking Can 10-08-2012 06:15 PM

Cassel's strength is handing off

R8RFAN 10-08-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonedstooge (Post 8993351)
Going to continue to run Jamaal into the ground I presume?

Not being a smart ass here but the Chiefs have always used the RB as a rented mule..

Priest
LJ
Jamaal

ILChief 10-08-2012 06:43 PM

They can't go back to Cassel after the bye. If they do, they are tanking for Geno

petegz28 10-08-2012 06:45 PM

Word has it that Crennel sent Daboll to the NFL Films Archive to dust off some tape from the Vermeil era. Together they will embark on the adventure to discover what a "pass" is, how it is supposed to be used and when it could help in a football game.

Donger 10-08-2012 06:46 PM

Football neophyte here, but am I wrong in thinking that the three passes that Quinn threw yesterday seemed to have more velocity on them than compared to Cassel (and weren't four feet above the receivers' heads)?

petegz28 10-08-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 8993543)
Football neophyte here, but am I wrong in thinking that the three passes that Quinn threw yesterday seemed to have more velocity on them than compared to Cassel (and weren't four feet above the receivers' heads)?

The 3 passes you saw from Quinn yesterday were the best 3 passes of the season. What's that tell you?

Donger 10-08-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8993550)
The 3 passes you saw from Quinn yesterday were the best 3 passes of the season. What's that tell you?

Well, honestly, that Quinn can throw the ball better than Cassel. But, I don't know much about it.

Messier 10-08-2012 06:49 PM

If Quinn starts, I'll be rooting more than I ever have for a Chiefs QB to have an incredible game. I know it might not matter, but I just want it to be as difficult as possible for them to have a case to put Cassel back in the lineup.

pimpchief 10-08-2012 06:50 PM

Are you telling me that we've been scheming for cassel this while? I really couldn't tell.