ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Where to buy amps? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=127888)

Munson 11-01-2005 01:44 PM

I've been to the Musician's Friend warehouse several times. Like everyone has said, thats where they try to sell off all their scratch and dents and customer returns. Some of the common problems with the amps are that they have a damaged speaker, torn grille, big dents or gouges in the cabinet, torn tolex, knobs that make a scratching sound when you adjust them, bad input jacks, bad electronics, etc. And a lot of their merchandise is the cheap stuff. You can find a good deal there, just make sure you play it thoroughly. Make sure the knobs don't sound scratchy with the amp on. And make sure you play it loud enough so you can hear if something doesn't sound right.

There are a couple stores that you can visit also. There's Guitar Source on 95th and Quivira, across the street from Oak Park Mall. They've got some good stuff, but they are priced a bit high and have bad customer service(in my experience). In Lawrence, there is a place called Mass Street Music. They have good pricing and good customer service. Their website is www.massstreetmusic.com .

JimNasium 11-01-2005 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne
The company Radar Chief works forin Chanute, Ks used to make very good amps. They had big name groups like Alabama coming to town from all over the US. I know they make radar units now but I don't know if they still make amps. Buying from the factory would certainly save you a bunch of money. I'd PM Radar Chief and ask him.

I'm pretty sure that the last time Alabama would have been conisidered a big name group you were still capable of becoming fully erect.

Lzen 11-01-2005 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimNasium
I'm pretty sure that the last time Alabama would have been conisidered a big name group you were still capable of becoming fully erect.

ROFL

asdf 11-01-2005 04:39 PM

FYI - Guitar Center music stores (two new ones just opened up in KC area) are basically a regular store front for musicians friend. Guitar Center owns Musicians Friend. I haven't spent much time there, but it appeared that they had pretty much the same pricing. That way, you can go and actually try out different amps before purchasing and still get the good MF pricing...

BigRedChief 11-01-2005 08:43 PM

Quote:

Damn Jim that is funny. Rep.

Skip Towne 11-01-2005 09:06 PM

Quote:

Well, now that you have told everyone about your familiarity with my erection status, I'll have to ask you to quit telling people that my dick is salty. Thank you.

Randallflagg 11-01-2005 09:55 PM

I have been a bass player for 30 some years now and hav e always been a big bleiever in either Acoustic (now defunct) or Ampeg gear. I would recommend Guitar Source on 95th Street (Across from Oak Park Mall). They have a pretty good selection of amps and cabs. Unfortunately, going used (ebay for example) doesn't give you much of a warranty. Hope this helps a little.....

Halfcan 11-01-2005 10:25 PM

I would suggest a music store.

ZepSinger 11-01-2005 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen
I know I'm a little late to the party, but I agree with those that recommended musiciansfriend. I have used them for years and I've always been satisfied. :thumb:

Yup. And- if you know what you want(Marshall 50 watt head, Strat, Les Paul, etc.), keep a lookout in the 'Used Musical Instruments' section of the paper, especially if you're in no huge hurry to pick it up. Occasionally you can find top-notch equipment in the hands of someone who either doesn't know what they've got or simply needs to unload it as soon as possible. And of course, play it thoroughly first.

I've had great luck with Musicians' Friend, and bought my '91 Jackson Dinky Reverse thru a mail order called Suncoast Music- it's been a fantastic guitar! Cost me $450 with the case, and it's still my main axe.

Z

Miles 11-01-2005 10:34 PM

One of my friends recently picked up a really nice tube amp on Ebay for pretty cheap.

Bob Dole 12-22-2005 03:37 PM

Bob Dole just ordered a Hartke A35 last night to go with the Dean Edge '04 Bartolini.

Anyone want to tell Bob Dole what a bad choice that was after the fact? (It's not for gigging...just practice/jamming around the house.)

redfan 01-16-2006 02:46 PM

For Bass amps, an Ampeg tubed is the only way to go.