ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Electricians: Chandelier went out but it's getting current (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266895)

UberSparky 11-20-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutamess (Post 9138173)
Ugh... so electrician needs to be called with a 20 foot ladder? :mad:

And informed of height. Most of us don't carry ladders that tall on our trucks. You sure its 20 foot?

I'mAlwaysRight 11-20-2012 10:20 PM

How many romex cables are in the switch box? Or, does the switch have a black and a white wire? Or two black wires? If you take the two wires off the switch and touch them together (or jumper across them), does the fixture light up?

wutamess 11-20-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UberSparky (Post 9138191)
And informed of height. Most of us don't carry ladders that tall on our trucks. You sure its 20 foot?

More like 15.

UberSparky 11-20-2012 10:23 PM

Sorry about your luck. Feel free to call me if you want I can tell you if you are being charged fairly. Raytown is a bit too far for me to travel. Wish I could have been more help.

wutamess 11-20-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'mAlwaysRight (Post 9138206)
How many romex cables are in the switch box? Or, does the switch have a black and a white wire? Or two black wires? If you take the two wires off the switch and touch them together (or jumper across them), does the fixture light up?

one black wire and one white wire with a ground cutoff still inside the 1 romex cable.
I won't blow something if I touch them together?

wutamess 11-20-2012 10:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres a pic

UberSparky 11-20-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutamess (Post 9138214)
More like 15.

12 foot ladder would be sufficient. Still should be informed when you call em. Use angies list a lot of bad electricians out there.

Rain Man 11-20-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutamess (Post 9138218)
one black wire and one white wire with a ground cutoff still inside the 1 romex cable.

That's what he's testing.

wutamess 11-20-2012 10:29 PM

I can take it off right quick and see... so do it?

UberSparky 11-20-2012 10:31 PM

That white wire will be your hot the black your switched hot. You won't blow anything if you touch them together. If you replaced switch with no change then touching them won't help.

I'mAlwaysRight 11-20-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutamess (Post 9138218)

The white *should* be the hot (feed) at the switch, the black *should* be the switch leg back to the fixture. You won't blow anything up, but you'll get a small arc that might startle you. All this does is bypass the switch to eliminate that as a possible problem. I asked about the wiring because it could have been fed from the switch (two romexes) with the neutral tied together in the switch box, but it doesn't look like that's the case. If bypassing the switch and it still doesn't light, the yeah, you've probably lost the neutral (grounded conductor).

Coach 11-20-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutamess (Post 9138132)
it's his work #... I do the same thing with tatts. Helps with business anyways.

Fair enough.

Coach 11-20-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UberSparky (Post 9138139)
I am sure you are right. If I was better on a computer I would have more posts. I don't even know what PM is.

Private Message. How it works is, if you move your mouse to a username on the left, and click on it, a dropdown will occur, and somewhere in that selection list will say "Send a private message to Coach" or whatever the username you click on.

wutamess 11-20-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'mAlwaysRight (Post 9138255)
The white *should* be the hot (feed) at the switch, the black *should* be the switch leg back to the fixture. You won't blow anything up, but you'll get a small arc that might startle you. All this does is bypass the switch to eliminate that as a possible problem. I asked about the wiring because it could have been fed from the switch (two romexes) with the neutral tied together in the switch box, but it doesn't look like that's the case. If bypassing the switch and it still doesn't light, the yeah, you've probably lost the neutral (grounded conductor).

So the neutral is the ground wire? the one that's tucked back inside the Romex?

UberSparky 11-20-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutamess (Post 9138281)
So the neutral is the ground wire? the one that's tucked back inside the Romex?

You don't have a neutral at all on that switch box