ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Tourist season in Yellowstone...OUCH! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=230998)

Fish 07-22-2010 07:49 PM

A bison can jump damn near 6 feet in the air. I'd never believe it if I hadn't seen it for myself. My uncles raise a couple bison every year for meat. They had to replace the fence with a much higher fence because the damn things jumped it like a gazelle. They live right next to the highway near McPherson, and one of the bison jumped the fence and ended up on the interstate. Bad deal.

They can be pretty aggressive when they're pissed....

CosmicPal 07-22-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6893803)
A bison can jump damn near 6 feet in the air. I'd never believe it if I hadn't seen it for myself. My uncles raise a couple bison every year for meat. They had to replace the fence with a much higher fence because the damn things jumped it like a gazelle. They live right next to the highway near McPherson, and one of the bison jumped the fence and ended up on the interstate. Bad deal.

After reading the link Bwana posted, I'm not surprised. This is what was said about the bison in the link:
The Bison is More Like the Mountain Goat Than the Buffalo

In contrast to the buffalo, the bison is more like its cousins the mountain goat, muskox and bighorn sheep.

Read more at Suite101: The Bison is Not a Buffalo: Clearing up Confusion About the Biggest Land Animal in North America http://mammals.suite101.com/article....#ixzz0uSyk86my

ChiTown 07-22-2010 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 6893800)
I'll tell you what Chi, I guess they (Ricky Ranger) gives you at least 10 "stay the fug away from the Bison" flyers when you enter the park these days. I guess some people can't read or think, "It could NEVER happen to me." These are the same people that think they can walk up to a grizzly and scratch his nuts.

Those dumfugs should have been "Darwin'd"

Bwana 07-22-2010 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 6893820)
Those dumfugs should have been "Darwin'd"

LMAO

She damn near was.

ChiTown 07-22-2010 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 6893838)
LMAO

She damn near was.

Oh, if they are that ****ing stupid, it's just a matter of time:reaper:

Bwana 07-22-2010 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 6893849)
Oh, if they are that ****ing stupid, it's just a matter of time:reaper:

No doubt about that.

http://www.500cuts.com/dirt-nap/dirtnap_index.jpg

boogblaster 07-22-2010 09:13 PM

stupidity can't to taught learned or healed

CosmicPal 07-22-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogblaster (Post 6893994)
stupidity can't to taught learned or healed

You mean it can't BE taught, learned, or healed.

ForeverChiefs58 07-22-2010 09:23 PM

She wanted to get closer to try and see where its wings were at because one of her favorite snacks are buffalo wings. She probably thought it would just fly away. :)

Buehler445 07-22-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6893803)

Yeah, they can. They are incredibly powerful animals. If they don't jump over fences, they might just decide to go through them. There is a rancher out here that produces several hundred head, and they have some mean ass reinforced fences. Mean shit.

[rant]
As a side note, I hate me some buffalo. Wife and I went on a cruise for our honeymoon and one of our excursions was a bus tour of Catalina Island and we seriously had to stop for like a total of half an hour on the road, on the bus, so we could take pictures of buffalo for like 30 goddamned mother****ing minutes, all for dots on the horizon. :grr: Oh no, it doesn't end there. For our anniversary we head to Rushmore. We drive around and take in the country. Where we are stopped for ANOTHER 30 goddamned mother****ing minutes waiting for people stopped on the highway to look at buffalo. FFS, I've seen an assload of buffalo in my day. Seriously, they're not that cool.

[/rant]

FAX 07-22-2010 10:22 PM

Since I have both family and friends that live in Cody, I've spent quite a bit of time in Yellowstone (Cody sits on the Eastern Entrance of the park). One spring we were on a day trip in the park when we spotted a small herd (approximately 8 or 10) of mooses grazing in an open, grassy area (not too far from the lake, as I recall). We watched them from the road for awhile, then I decided to get a better picture so I slowly worked my way closer to the herd by staying in the tree line, well hidden, and downwind. Meanwhile though, a family of about 6 or so Japanese people stopped their little blue car by the side of the road and the Japanese dad guy grabbed his camera and just took off walking straight through the real tall grass toward the herd. He had made it about 80 yards or so when the bull moose decided he was a problem. Over the course of the following few minutes, I learned many things about life and death in the wilderness.

First, I learned that a pissed-off, giant, bull moose can run fast as hell through tall grass (about waist high). In fact, it was absolutely incredible how quickly he closed the distance between him and the Japanese dad guy.

Second, I learned that, not only are they stupid as hell, but Japanese guys are scared to freaking death of charging, pissed-off, giant, bull mooses. (And for good reason, I might add.)

Third, I learned that stupid-ass, Japanese guys can't run worth a tinker's damn through tall grass. Forget about it.

Fourth, after falling on their faces, I learned that Japanese guys can crab walk on all fours pretty damn fast, all things considered. They can't outrace a pissed-off, super-fast, charging, giant, bull moose, but they can crab walk impressively fast all the same.

Fifth, I learned that charging, pissed-off, giant, bull mooses can actually take pity on slow-ass, stupid, Japanese dad guys and they will veer off at the last possible moment to avoid trampling stupid, Japanese dad guys who are trying to crab walk on all fours as fast as possible to get the hell away from a pissed-off, super-fast, charging, giant, bull moose.

Sixth, I learned that Japanese families can scream in ear-splitting, falsetto tones like frightened, panic-stricken babies and real damn loud, too. That applies to all Japanese people; the women, the children, and the men. In fact, the men can scream real damn loud in ear-splitting, falsetto tones like frightened, panic-stricken babies even while crab walking on all fours at top speed.

Seventh, I learned that once a Japanese guy has barely escaped a charging, pissed-off, super-fast, giant, bull moose attack, they will get in their car and drive away from the area real damn fast, too ... and leaving their camera somewhere in the tall grass if necessary.

It's amazing how much you can learn at Yellowstone. It's an educational experience that's second-to-none, really.

FAX

SLAG 07-22-2010 10:28 PM

wikipedia had a bad ass picture

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ding_Bison.jpg

BigMeatballDave 07-23-2010 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigVE (Post 6893763)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Bison

Bison, buffalo...same difference.

Dude. Not even close.

Lonewolf Ed 07-23-2010 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 6893800)
I'll tell you what Chi, I guess they (Ricky Ranger) gives you at least 10 "stay the fug away from the Bison" flyers when you enter the park these days. I guess some people can't read or think, "It could NEVER happen to me." These are the same people that think they can walk up to a grizzly and scratch his nuts.

When I used to spend summers up in Montana near Big Timber, I always enjoyed reading the Billings Gazette for stories about dumbasses in Yellowstone and Glacier Park who thought they were in a giant petting zoo. It also seemed most of the people who got mauled, gored, stomped, etc. were from California. My favorite was a picture a guy took of a sow grizzly as she charged at him. He took the shot just before she bit into his shoulder and you could see the ridges on the roof of her mouth. He went up a trail that had been closed and had a sign on it stating that it was due to a dangerous grizzly in the area! She wandered into his campsite before dawn, eating a box of crackers and whatnot that he had lying around his sleeping bag.

He did survive the mauling, however. I hope he never had kids, because odds are with an imbecile like that for a father, the lack of any good sense would be passed on.

Lonewolf Ed 07-23-2010 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 6894237)
Dude. Not even close.

I had no idea! I've had bufflao burgers and buffalo jerky before, but never any bison burgers or jerky. Aren't bison good to eat, too?