ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto What's Wrong With My Car? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270600)

bevischief 03-01-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9453866)
Good lord. When did Chevy become the laughing stock of the car industry?

The only Chevys I own is 1970 and 1972 pickups. I won't touch a company that needed almost a billion dollars of tax players money to keep from going out of business.

Radar Chief 03-01-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 9454163)
The only Chevys I own is 1970 and 1972 pickups. I won't touch a company that needed almost a billion dollars of tax players money to keep from going out of business defaulting on union member’s retirement plans.

;)

Reerun_KC 03-01-2013 11:24 AM

Just had this the other day on the wifes car... '

Mouse got in the garage and chewed up a fuel injector wire.

Driving along just fine, then boom all hell broke loose... Couldnt do anything.

ModSocks 03-01-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN (Post 9454135)
Sounds like it might be the fuel pump or a clogged catalitic converter. I had that happen to my Ford Ranger last year, wouldn't go over 5 MPH.

In a fuel injected car, the fuel pump either works or it doesn't, so i doubt it's the pump.

ModSocks 03-01-2013 11:25 AM

I've had something like this happen once, and it was because i had a dirty plug wire, which caused the car to drop a cylinder.

Frosty 03-01-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King_Chief_Fan (Post 9454056)
A failed alternator caused me the very same problem as described. Once the battery was drained and the alternator could not keep it charged, everything electronic went out. Car would crawl but that was it.

He was able to restart it so it isn't a dead battery/ bad alternator.

Sounds like the computer read a fault in a sensor (probably TPS) and put the car in limp home mode.

Quote:

All cars having a TPS have what is known as a 'limp-home-mode'. When the car goes into the limp-home-mode it is because the accelerator and engine control computer and the throttle are not talking to each other in a way that they can understand. The engine control computer shuts down the signal to the throttle position motor and a set of springs in the throttle set it to a fast idle, fast enough to get the transmission in gear but not so fast that driving may be dangerous.

ModSocks 03-01-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9454189)
He was able to restart it so it isn't a dead battery/ bad alternator.

Sounds like the computer read a fault in a sensor (probably TPS) and put the car in limp home mode.

I've also had this happen before too. Oddly enough, it never happened again. I checked the codes and it was a TPS. I never replaced it. I just cleared the codes and went about my business lol.

Frosty 03-01-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9454192)
I've also had this happen before too. Oddly enough, it never happened again. I checked the codes and it was a TPS. I never replaced it. I just cleared the codes and went about my business lol.

It's possible to get just a glitch that throws the code when there isn't really anything wrong. Microprocessors in the car help to make them as efficient and powerful as possible but can be a pain at times.

In58men 03-01-2013 12:03 PM

Did Alex Smith happen to touch your car?

That's why your probably experiencing less power.

Lzen 03-01-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

A LOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGGG time ago.

Dayze 03-01-2013 12:33 PM

I bought a used Mailbe Maxx about 7 years ago with 20K miles on it.
Overall, I liked it the 6 years I had it. but man....right around that 5 yr mark it started having all sorts of issues with only 70k miles on it.

oh well. I liked it I suppose. Don't think I'd buy another Chevy though. Maybe a Vette or a Camaro if I ever had the coin.

I have an '08 Rabbit with 49K miles and love it. can haul all the camping gear we used to put in the Malibu.

and got the Rabbit for $10k. I'll probably drive that forever.

Earthling 03-01-2013 12:38 PM

Except for the engine light it has the symptoms of a very dirty air filter.

plbrdude 03-01-2013 12:45 PM

our impala did something quite similar and it was a throttle position sensor i think.

Saul Good 03-01-2013 03:41 PM

I'd say top speed is the car's problem. 15 MPH isn't very good these days.

Psyko Tek 03-01-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

HHR1

and cancelling the camaro