ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Tomatoes in the ground (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=228276)

tooge 05-21-2013 08:59 AM

got mine in yesterday. 17 plants. several varieties. Mountain spring, cherry, sweet 100, better bush, Rutgers, roma, and a few Brandywines. I also got eggplant and all my pepper types in.

Mr_Tomahawk 05-21-2013 09:01 AM

None here yet. But my 2.5 year old son planted his first Tomatoe Plant last weekend. He waters it twice a day and asks me why there aren't any tomatoes yet. :-)

Stewie 05-31-2013 12:50 PM

My tomatoes, peppers, etc., are going crazy. With the recent rains they're very happy. My weather station rain gauge shows 17.65" of rain so far this year. It needs to dry out for a while and let the plants get a good sun-soaking.

Ugly Duck 06-04-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 9721993)
My tomatoes, peppers, etc., are going crazy.

I was wondering if others were feeling the same... its going to be a good year! Planted on Feb 24 & things were growing slowly, but now are going wild like your plants. So far there are 250+ tomatoes hanging plus a buncha cherry tomatoes, some of which are already getting ripe. We probably feel it here first in California cuz of the early planting season, but it looks like it'll be a good year in the garden this time around!

Brandywine
Giant Belgium
Big Rainbow
Cherokee Purple
Caspian Pink
Costluto Genovese
Amish Paste
Big Beef
Supersteak
Early Girl
Jetsetter

MOhillbilly 06-08-2013 08:26 PM

I've saved a monster amount of bacon over the fall/winter. 70-80 pounds worth.
Couple hundred heirloom tomatoe plants and a nice bed of romaine.

stonedstooge 06-08-2013 08:31 PM

Getting a good rain on my tomato plants that are about a foot tall now. Started them from seed this year so I'm kind of excited to see how they turn out. So far so good. I've got Better Boy, Beefsteak, Delicious and Large Red Cherry plants agoing

HonestChieffan 06-08-2013 08:49 PM

Not a thing planted in garden due to wet/rain. Blueberry crop will be record. Asparagus awesome.

Amish market will be our garden. Never before have we had no garden.

stonedstooge 06-08-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 9738510)
Not a thing planted in garden due to wet/rain. Blueberry crop will be record. Asparagus awesome.

Damn that's too bad. I live on the Missouri River bottom and about half of the row crops aren't even put in yet. Lots of corn growing though

ghak99 06-08-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonedstooge (Post 9738515)
I live on the Missouri River bottom and about half of the row crops aren't even put in yet. Lots of corn growing though

It's ugly just about everywhere. I just rolled through the second 15 hour day with a good 3 more to go before we're done. Most of the corn here looks horrible and some guys have still not started on beans yet. I HATE springs like these!:cuss:

Buehler445 06-08-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 9738510)

I'd have to go a long way before I was too wet. I wish I had those problems.

HonestChieffan 06-08-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9738588)
I'd have to go a long way before I was too wet. I wish I had those problems.

From record drought to record wet. I know a number of guys who have zero corn planted, many have just a small amount. Should see major progress this week if these rains miss us. Yields will be way off. Pastures are lush. But look better from the road than they actually are. Drought last summer hurt grass big time.

dmahurin 06-08-2013 11:07 PM

I've got tomatoes, beans, peppers, corn, radishes, and garlic in. The corn is doing terribly but everything else thriving. First year I've done a garden. Beginner dumb question: how long does garlic take? It sprouted in the fridge, I took the bulb apart, planted each clove about 8 inches apart and the stocks have more then doubled since they've been. No clue when I should harvest.

MOhillbilly 08-28-2013 03:49 PM

Picked 440 pounds on Monday.

stonedstooge 08-28-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 9921679)
Picked 440 pounds on Monday.

Sounds like you got some serious canning to do