ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Pioli to be on PFT Live at noon EST (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=257603)

Quesadilla Joe 03-21-2012 09:54 AM

Pioli to be on PFT Live at noon EST

Just a heads up for my fellow Chiefs fans....

Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli will talk with Florio about what the team has done in free agency thus far. The Chiefs have signed running back Peyton Hillis, tackle Eric Winston, quarterback Brady Quinn, cornerback Stanford Routt and tight end Kevin Boss while they’ve lost cornerback Brandon Carr and fullback Le’Ron McClain. We’ll find out what else the Chiefs might have planned as well as hear about their brief pursuit of Peyton Manning.

http://hqplayer.nbcsports.com/Player.html?PID=44

COchief 03-21-2012 10:03 AM

Thanks for the heads up and a working link included, successful thread execution.

Rep

Quesadilla Joe 03-21-2012 10:12 AM

Pioli is coming up next....

Chiefnj2 03-21-2012 10:17 AM

Pioli admits Manning just didn't want to be in KC. Nothing you can do about it. Like asking out a girl in high school who doesn't want to go out with you.

Chiefnj2 03-21-2012 10:18 AM

Only 1 question on Manning. Florio moved on to Hillis.

Chiefnj2 03-21-2012 10:22 AM

Winston - When a player is released you have to ask why first, usually underlying reason. Thought he would immediately go to Miami. Was happy to get him in town. Once in town, kept him in lockdown and kept feeding him.

Pioli kissing KC's ass - great city, great place to raise a family, hidden gem, fanbase ...

Chiefnj2 03-21-2012 10:25 AM

Brady Quinn -

Can Quinn emerge as starter? Pioli gives longwinded answer about competition. Does say Cassel is starter.

Chiefnj2 03-21-2012 10:28 AM

Carr - Had been in contact for a while, they were in different places so when Routt came available they realized there was a chance they could lose Carr. Admits it was a money issue.

Rain Man 03-21-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 8479555)
Pioli admits Manning just didn't want to be in KC. Nothing you can do about it. Like asking out a girl in high school who doesn't want to go out with you.

Not true. You can stalk her and follow her and frighten her and harass her and eventually she'll agree to go out with you just once because she's afraid of what you'll do if she doesn't. And that's when you pop the question.

Chris Meck 03-21-2012 11:35 AM

You guys DO understand that he can never say that Cassel isn't the starter until he's not, right?
If you undermine the guy out of the gate, you might as well just cut him because nobody on the team is going to have any confidence in him. They probably don't already, but you have to talk the talk until you make the change.
I'm not saying I'm happy with Cassel, Quinn and Stanzi, but to expect Pioli to say anything but what he's saying is silly.

Rasputin 03-21-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 8480045)
You guys DO understand that he can never say that Cassel isn't the starter until he's not, right?
If you undermine the guy out of the gate, you might as well just cut him because nobody on the team is going to have any confidence in him. They probably don't already, but you have to talk the talk until you make the change.
I'm not saying I'm happy with Cassel, Quinn and Stanzi, but to expect Pioli to say anything but what he's saying is silly.

No he can tell Cassel that his job is on the line if he doesn't step up to the plate and prove himself during OTAs. Why should Cassel be coddled? Who cares about his pansy ass he can't be ruined any more than he all ready is. Am I right?

Rain Man 03-21-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 8480045)

I've never been a football coach so I could be wrong, but I would respectfully disagree. If I'm a coach or GM, I go into every training camp saying that there is no depth chart. Best players win the starting jobs. If I'm the coach or the GM and any reporter asks me about a player during the season, I say he's the starter unless someone better comes along. Get out of this whole ego thing of "We can't offend the starter" by treating everyone the same. Tom Brady is the starter until someone better comes along. Branden Albert is the starter until someone better comes along. Jon McGraw is the starter until someone better comes along. If you give the same message for every player, you don't have awkward interviews when a starter is struggling.

NJChiefsFan 03-21-2012 11:53 AM

Yes, you either have the mental capacity for QB or you don't. If your talents are so iffy in the first place that hearing you might be in competition makes you worse, you were never going to win anyway.

Chris Meck 03-21-2012 11:56 AM

QB's are handled differently than other positions. Cassel's not stupid, he sees the writing on the wall and knows that his time is very short to improve or be tossed.
You just can't say it publicly. Not in high school, not in college, and not in the pros. You don't want the team to break into factions, some support one guy, some support the other. It's bad news. Your starter is the guy until he's not, and then he'll never be the starter again.

Chris Meck 03-21-2012 11:57 AM

By the way, I wish they'd just cut him this offseason and went with Orton or something, but I understand the way it's being handled publicly.