ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers What do you use for your browser homepage? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271255)

DaFace 03-17-2013 08:57 PM

What do you use for your browser homepage?

I've used a personalized homepage of some sort or another for as long as I can remember. Originally, it was My Yahoo, but I eventually switched over to iGoogle.

These days, I stay far away from Yahoo, and Google's killing iGoogle this fall. There are a handful of imitators out there in the world, but I really haven't found anything I like much.

I'm just curious to know what others to for homepages these days. If personalized homepages aren't the way, maybe there's another way I should be looking at this.

DaneMcCloud 03-17-2013 09:00 PM

https://www.google.com/news?vanilla=1

nstygma 03-17-2013 09:02 PM

i use the built-in Chrome "Most Visited" page

BryanBusby 03-17-2013 09:25 PM

I'm pretty lame, just a weather page.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...%20MO%2C%20USA

Crush 03-17-2013 10:41 PM

blank page

Fish 03-18-2013 07:55 AM

Don't have a home page. When I click a new tab, it shows my Chrome bookmarks or most visited pages.

Frosty 03-18-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9509820)
I've used a personalized homepage of some sort or another for as long as I can remember. Originally, it was My Yahoo, but I eventually switched over to iGoogle.

These days, I stay far away from Yahoo, and Google's killing iGoogle this fall. There are a handful of imitators out there in the world, but I really haven't found anything I like much.

I'm just curious to know what others to for homepages these days. If personalized homepages aren't the way, maybe there's another way I should be looking at this.

Thanks for starting this. I am looking for the same thing. I like using iGoogle because I can access my bookmarks and other info from any computer or my tablet. I haven't really found something similar. I may end up having to store that stuff in a Google doc or something I suppose.

patteeu 03-18-2013 10:19 AM

I just have my browser open to whatever page(s) that were open when I last quit.

Fish 03-18-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9510663)
Thanks for starting this. I am looking for the same thing. I like using iGoogle because I can access my bookmarks and other info from any computer or my tablet. I haven't really found something similar. I may end up having to store that stuff in a Google doc or something I suppose.

If you use Chrome, you can sync all your bookmarks, form values, history, etc. Without needing to visit iGoogle or any webpage. Simply log into Chrome with your Google account on each device. That includes computers, tablets, phones, whatever. Cross platform as well. And using Chrome, you can also view/load any windows open on any of your other devices that are connected to the internet. Example, if opened a page on your work computer, then got home and wanted to visit that page again but can't remember the address, you can click on Other Devices in Chrome, and see all the open windows on all your other synced devices.

patteeu 03-18-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9510694)
If you use Chrome, you can sync all your bookmarks, form values, history, etc. Without needing to visit iGoogle or any webpage. Simply log into Chrome with your Google account on each device. That includes computers, tablets, phones, whatever. Cross platform as well. And using Chrome, you can also view/load any windows open on any of your other devices that are connected to the internet. Example, if opened a page on your work computer, then got home and wanted to visit that page again but can't remember the address, you can click on Other Devices in Chrome, and see all the open windows on all your other synced devices.

Cool tip.

Frosty 03-18-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9510694)

Thanks. Sounds like it's time to give Chrome another try.

DaFace 03-18-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9510663)

I'm not too worried about Bookmarks - as Fish said, that's covered with Chrome's syncing.

I still haven't found a good solution, but I'm leaning toward:

-Google News for my homepage
-Extension for weather and sports scores
-Bookmarks on my bookmarks bar for my new RSS reader (Feedly) and Google Latitude

We'll see how it goes.

KurtCobain 03-18-2013 01:05 PM

Every browser I've used for about seven years now has been set to open to chiefsplanet.com.

KevB 03-18-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9511010)
I'm not too worried about Bookmarks - as Fish said, that's covered with Chrome's syncing.

I still haven't found a good solution, but I'm leaning toward:

-Google News for my homepage
-Extension for weather and sports scores
-Bookmarks on my bookmarks bar for my new RSS reader (Feedly) and Google Latitude

We'll see how it goes.

If you want something iGoogle-like, Netvibes would probably do the trick. I've used that in the past, and it looks very similar.

DaFace 03-18-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9511125)
If you want something iGoogle-like, Netvibes would probably do the trick. I've used that in the past, and it looks very similar.

Yeah, I looked into it a bit, but I just wasn't ever happy with how "modern" it looks. iGoogle was great for a while, but even I had been questioning its utility when they finally announced they were pulling the plug. I wish there were a dashboard out there that was actually innovative in some way, but all of them seem to generally just be trying to replicate the same basic functionality that's been around for years.