ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Chargers team doctor is a quack, NFLPA demands replacement (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269552)

Hammock Parties 01-31-2013 06:48 PM

Chargers team doctor is a quack, NFLPA demands replacement

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...a-replacement/

Quote:

NEW ORLEANS — The NFL Players Association wants the Chargers' team doctor replaced, and it wants it now.

The union has formally requested the league find a "suitable replacement" for Dr. David Chao, said George Attalah, the NFLPA's assistant executive director of external affairs. He could not specify the timing of the request.

His comments came following the player union's annual Super Bowl press conference, held Thursday inside the Morial Convention Center. Player health was the primary topic, and during and after the hour-long event, sentiment for Chao's removal was expressed among the NFLPA's leaders.

"He has a clear track record of misconduct," NFLPA President Domonique Foxworth said. "It's unfortunate for the guys who play there. It's something that we can't control, but we can definitely put pressure to improve. We're trying now. I don't know that it's appropriate to talk about all the steps we're taking, but the first step is that we're making people aware."

NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith singled out Chao during the press conference.

The presentation included a slideshow detailing the results of a recent internal survey. NFL players were asked to characterize how much they trust their team doctor.

Of those sampled, 78 percent responded a five on a five-point scale, an indication of "not at all."

"There is a team doctor named Dr. Chao who is currently the San Diego team doctor," Smith said, "who has been found liable of medical malpractice twice — twice. The same doctor was the subject of a DEA investigation. He's still the San Diego Chargers team doctor.

"Now, I'm not a doctor. I don't even play one on TV. But it seems to me that the players of the National Football League deserve to have a doctor who's not been found liable of malpractice, and that's within the last year."

A team spokesman was asked to respond to the NFLPA's comments.

He said the Chargers are still gathering information about what was said.

Cephalic Trauma 01-31-2013 06:59 PM

The dude has a pretty nasty CV...

saphojunkie 01-31-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma (Post 9368683)
The dude has a pretty nasty CV...

And he gave his patient some pretty nasty HPV.

Buck 01-31-2013 08:25 PM

We've been calling for his head for years. Glad this is finally getting national attention.

Hammock Parties 01-31-2013 08:32 PM

edu, buck?

chop 01-31-2013 09:06 PM

I heard that some teams have doctors submit bids on how much they will pay to be the Team Dr.. Yes, doctors pay the NFL team to be the team doctor. Supposedly that generates business for the doctor so it's kind of a form of advertising.

Cephalic Trauma 01-31-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9368817)
We've been calling for his head for years. Glad this is finally getting national attention.

Why, may I ask?

I have no doubt you have reason to think what he's done has been pretty significant by the sheer fact that you know this guy's name.

Does anyone know our team doctor's name? I sure don't.

Buck 01-31-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma (Post 9369008)
Why, may I ask?

I have no doubt you have reason to think what he's done has been pretty significant by the sheer fact that you know this guy's name.

He's been getting into all kinds of legal trouble since he's been here and our injured players stay injured and never come back 100%. We finally fired our strength and condtioning coach this year too.

alpha_omega 01-31-2013 09:57 PM

I would like to hear some details about the malpractice suits and the DEA thing.

Not saying he isn't a quack, but we need more info first.

Got any details Buck?

Buck 01-31-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha_omega (Post 9369073)
I would like to hear some details about the malpractice suits and the DEA thing.

Not saying he isn't a quack, but we need more info first.

Got any details Buck?

He allegedly self-prescribed narcotics to himself and also gave our players drugs whenever they asked for them.

SnakeXJones 01-31-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9369083)
He allegedly self-prescribed narcotics to himself and also gave our players drugs whenever they asked for them.

so Conrad Murray broke out of prison to be Chargers team Dr?

Cephalic Trauma 01-31-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9369017)
He's been getting into all kinds of legal trouble since he's been here and our injured players stay injured and never come back 100%. We finally fired our strength and condtioning coach this year too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9369083)

So it's not only a performance issue, but also an ethical issue?

How has this not garnered more attention up to this point?

I would expect more from a guy who did his undergrad at Harvard and received his MD at Northwestern.

GoChargers 01-31-2013 11:30 PM

http://i.imgur.com/bRvd7.gif

Good riddance to bad garbage!

Stewie 02-01-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma (Post 9369008)
Why, may I ask?

I think there's more than one team physician. I know Cris Barnthouse is one. He's an orthopedic surgeon and former KU basketball player.

Cephalic Trauma 02-01-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 9369573)
I think there's more than one team physician. I know Cris Barnthouse is one. He's an orthopedic surgeon and former KU basketball player.

Yeah, that would make sense. I guess my point was if you don't hear their name very often it's likely because they're doing their job.