ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KC signs Gaither (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=248361)

Fansy the Famous Bard 08-12-2011 08:17 AM

Just to be clear, Gaither is an UFA signing? I was reading at one point that he was a RFA? Did it change in the new CBA?

The Bad Guy 08-12-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 7819099)
Desperation move and nothing more.

Gaither is a pure left tackle that has a history of injuries, with a particularly bad back. He's only 25, and has only had one, perhaps two truly productive, but not great NFL seasons. The guy couldn't pass a physical with the Raiders, who are in a similar situation as the Chiefs with regard to desperately needing production from the OT position - perhaps even more so at the LT spot and they pass on the guy.

This signing is nothing more than a wish and hope that they guy can actually play because of the horrible production that they are seeing (perhaps for the first time for whatever reason) from the tackle position. Gaither isn't going to be the answer for either the LT or RT spot, and neither is Albert. Richardson sucks, though I'm sure that there are plenty around here who still hold out hope that he, like Albert, will finally "get it" and play to the hypothetical potential that some around here envision that both players possess.

I also see that everyone here reads that Mims put Dorsey on the ground and gets giddy that he's going to be the RTOTF. However, the dude is raw as sushi and does not have the mobility that is required to be effective in a zone blocking scheme that the Chiefs run.

In three drafts under Haley and Pioli, the OT position has not been addressed. Gaither, a 6'9", 340 lb. power/drive scheme left tackle only with a history of back injuries, is the only free agent signing of note at the OT position under this current regime. When the likes of Clay Matthews, Dwight Freeney, James Harrison, Jared Allen, Elvis Dumervil, et al., are going to be weekly sightings nearly every single week of the 2011 season, I'm hoping that Pioli and Haley finally understand the importance of having a quality offensive tackle on the roster.

I mean, shit. They are so ****ing desperate at this point for decent tackle production that they are trying to convert a defensive tackle and sign a guy who the Raiders wouldn't even take. That's sad.

When Cassel is getting raped every week this season, you can tell me all about team building through awesome drafting and savvy free agent signings.

Yes, because we all know that the Raiders operations are the gold standard, and if he couldn't pass a physical with them, then he surely must be worthless.

I don't know if I've ever read someone type so many words and say ****ing nothing at all.

Did you cry when Odung got hurt again last night?

MIAdragon 08-12-2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 7818944)
You're*

:facepalm:

aturnis 08-12-2011 08:28 AM

Albert is improving alright. He gave up 7.5 sacks his second year in this system, compared to 9 his first year under Haley. 1.5 sack improvement in a year when we played some of the worst teams in the league, with jack for pass rushers. Those 1.5 less sacks allowed probably had more to do with QB play than anything. Just think, if Zorn can improve Cassel's awareness like he trying to do, he may only give up 6 this year.

LT's main job is to protect the most important player on the team. Albert can run block like a boss, but he can't protect the QB.

The Bad Guy 08-12-2011 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 7819157)
Albert is improving alright. He gave up 7.5 sacks his second year in this system, compared to 9 his first year under Haley. 1.5 sack improvement in a year when we played some of the worst teams in the league, with jack for pass rushers. Those 1.5 less sacks allowed probably had more to do with QB play than anything. Just think, if Zorn can improve Cassel's awareness like he trying to do, he may only give up 6 this year.

LT's main job is to protect the most important player on the team. Albert can run block like a boss, but he can't protect the QB.

I always love when people who watch the games use stats as the end all/be all for offensive lineman.

Chiefs=Champions 08-12-2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Desperation move and nothing more.

Gaither is a pure left tackle that has a history of injuries, with a particularly bad back. He's only 25, and has only had one, perhaps two truly productive, but not great NFL seasons. The guy couldn't pass a physical with the Raiders, who are in a similar situation as the Chiefs with regard to desperately needing production from the OT position - perhaps even more so at the LT spot and they pass on the guy.

This signing is nothing more than a wish and hope that they guy can actually play because of the horrible production that they are seeing (perhaps for the first time for whatever reason) from the tackle position. Gaither isn't going to be the answer for either the LT or RT spot, and neither is Albert. Richardson sucks, though I'm sure that there are plenty around here who still hold out hope that he, like Albert, will finally "get it" and play to the hypothetical potential that some around here envision that both players possess.

I also see that everyone here reads that Mims put Dorsey on the ground and gets giddy that he's going to be the RTOTF. However, the dude is raw as sushi and does not have the mobility that is required to be effective in a zone blocking scheme that the Chiefs run.

In three drafts under Haley and Pioli, the OT position has not been addressed. Gaither, a 6'9", 340 lb. power/drive scheme left tackle only with a history of back injuries, is the only free agent signing of note at the OT position under this current regime. When the likes of Clay Matthews, Dwight Freeney, James Harrison, Jared Allen, Elvis Dumervil, et al., are going to be weekly sightings nearly every single week of the 2011 season, I'm hoping that Pioli and Haley finally understand the importance of having a quality offensive tackle on the roster.

I mean, shit. They are so ****ing desperate at this point for decent tackle production that they are trying to convert a defensive tackle and sign a guy who the Raiders wouldn't even take. That's sad.

When Cassel is getting raped every week this season, you can tell me all about team building through awesome drafting and savvy free agent signings.

LMAO Is it draft time again?

notorious 08-12-2011 08:52 AM

Gaither is no risk.

Roaf had injury problems leaving NO, but I do understand that he is the exception and not the rule.

If he works out we hit a homerun, if not, oh well.

Dave Lane 08-12-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 7819157)

Albert was the least worrisome OL last year which is sad. Lilja Weigman Waters and Richardson got ass raped in the playoff game and exposed late in the year. But amongst the OL Albert is the most talented one.

RealSNR 08-12-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Are you talking about Bobby Greenwood? He's a guard, not a tackle.

LOCOChief 08-12-2011 09:22 AM

Maybe someone addressed this but does anyone see some Roaf similarities to this signing and guy? I do.

Brock 08-12-2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOCOChief (Post 7819255)
Maybe someone addressed this but does anyone see some Roaf similarities to this signing and guy? I do.

Yeah. Sure.

noa 08-12-2011 09:27 AM

I think it's a hybrid roaf/turley/kendrell bell/ty law signing, with a hint of brett perriman<br />
<font size="1"><i>Posted via Mobile Device</i></font>

The Bad Guy 08-12-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7819262)
Yeah. Sure.

No kidding. There are no ****ing similarities to signing this guy and trading for Roaf.

Roaf was a first team all pro a long time before he came here.

raybec 4 08-12-2011 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 7819268)
No kidding. There are no ****ing similarities to signing this guy and trading for Roaf.

Roaf was a first team all pro a long time before he came here.

And he never had any history of being lazy or disgruntled

Holladay 08-12-2011 09:50 AM

unless you are talking bout his wife.