ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Science Hypnosis (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274922)

rico 07-30-2013 10:38 AM

Hypnosis

What is your stance on hypnosis?

Do you believe in it? Are you skeptic? Have you had any personal experiences with it? Have you heard entertaining/interesting stories of other peoples' experiences with it? Do you know the science associated with it?

What are your thoughts? If you have any, share them!

* My personal thoughts: I WAS skeptical of hypnosis my whole life until a couple months ago. I heard stories, had seen shows, etc., but always thought there was a catch and had always thought the shows were staged. HOWEVER, a couple months ago, my wife and I were married in Vegas. One night we attended a hypnosis show called "Marc Savard Comedy Hypnosis." It was literally one of the funniest experiences of my life and it literally changed my outlook on hypnosis from being a skeptic, to thinking that it is a very real, interesting, entertaining and potentially hilarious phenomenon. My wife and I were actually participants on the show. I didn't last long (for I didn't become hypnotized), but my wife did and it was absolutely hilarious. The highlight of my entire Vegas trip (with an exception of getting married).

For those of you who are interested and have time to kill (like an hour to hour and a half or so), here are the youtube videos of the show in which my wife and I were participants. The show is funny as hell. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which participants my wife and I are and I will probably get razzed about my wife's behavior on the show, but I don't care...I thought it was hilarious.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KjIGlTPYHEk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KW7cgCRNJck" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rasputin 07-30-2013 10:39 AM

It only works if you let it work. Doesn't work on people who don't believe it or wont allow it with their mind.

Iowanian 07-30-2013 10:47 AM

I was a skeptic.

I've seen a friend get zonked at a comedy show in college and he wouldn't have gone along with the stuff if it didn't work.

I've also seen self-hypnosis techniques used as pain management tools for terminally ill or severely injured kids. I've also seen it used as a very effective pain management technique in child birth, well enough that doctors and nurses would comment in amazement.

Stewie 07-30-2013 10:49 AM

It works. I know of at least one instance of a crime being solved after putting a witness under hypnosis. They took him back to re-live the moment he saw the getaway truck and was able to see the license plate number.

Chief Roundup 07-30-2013 10:49 AM

I believe in it. But it is more like self induced programming.

rico 07-30-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9844892)
It only works if you let it work. Doesn't work on people who don't believe it or wont allow it with their mind.

It didn't work on me and I genuinely tried to make it work. I think the deal with me was that I was a bit uncomfortable being in front of a crowd. Haha, I was the first one dismissed for not being hypnotized.

I researched hypnosis a bit further when I got home and saw this youtube video of this old hypnotist explaining the process of hypnosis and retorted the belief that some people are "too smart" to be hypnotized by claiming, "that's not true, for if you are able to be hypnotized, it actually proves that your are SMARTER than people who aren't able to be hypnotized because you are more inclined to following suggestions." I looked at the screen and was like, "**** you, old balls!!!"

rico 07-30-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 9844904)
I was a skeptic.

I've seen a friend get zonked at a comedy show in college and he wouldn't have gone along with the stuff if it didn't work.

I've also seen self-hypnosis techniques used as pain management tools for terminally ill or severely injured kids. I've also seen it used as a very effective pain management technique in child birth, well enough that doctors and nurses would comment in amazement.

This is why I am no longer a skeptic...my wife wouldn't have acted the way she did or have been able to keep a straight face if she hadn't been hypnotized. Not to mention, she doesn't know how to do the river dance, but when hypnotized, she was able to pull the river dance off PERFECTLY. I literally couldn't believe what I was witnessing.

I've seen those youtube online self-hypnosis videor...they kind of scare me a bit...one of my 16 year old brother's friends told me that they do it all the time by themselves at their house. That sounds like an incredibly bad idea to me.

BlackHelicopters 07-30-2013 11:07 AM

Ambien causes self hypnosis. Give it a try.

rico 07-30-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9844935)
Ambien causes self hypnosis. Give it a try.

I have a friend who takes Ambien and purposely fights off the sleep-inducing effects with intentions of "tripping out" on it. She has issues, I think.

BlackHelicopters 07-30-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 9844975)
I have a friend who takes Ambien and purposely fights off the sleep-inducing effects with intentions of "tripping out" on it. She has issues, I think.

My GF shaved " herself" one night. Did not remember it.

Bowser 07-30-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 9844975)

PIIHB, then marry

Fish 07-30-2013 11:28 AM

Never believed it. The fact that it only works on some people and such... sounds like bullshit. Someone tried to hypnotize me once, and it was just silly...

Donger 07-30-2013 11:29 AM

No.

Rain Man 07-30-2013 11:36 AM

This thread is making you sleepy. Very sleepy. Verrrrrry sleeeeeepy.

hometeam 07-30-2013 11:38 AM

Hypnosis.

Total bullshit.

Prove me wrong. Hypnotize me~