ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Anyone here ever hit a deer? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265668)

ZepSinger 10-25-2012 09:00 AM

Anyone here ever hit a deer?

My wife hit a big one about a year ago with the minivan- $5k in damage, almost totaled the vehicle. Fixed it, and then I hit another deer with the same van 4 months later. Totaled this time.

Followed a car home the other night- a deer ran out in front of that car. He slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting it, and I came within 6" from rear-ending him as a result. There have been a few other close calls as well.

I'm hearing that this is getting epidemic nowadays. Anyone else have a deer meets car story?

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...205600315.html

TimeForWasp 10-25-2012 09:01 AM

Oh deer me.

Frosty 10-25-2012 09:12 AM

Around here, they say there are only two kinds of drivers - those that have hit a deer and those that haven't hit one yet. So far, I am in the second category though have gotten close several times. The way I have been driving to work has been a gauntlet since it has gotten dark in the morning.

Friggin' long-legged rats.

Buehler445 10-25-2012 09:13 AM

Man, there are a lot of those out here. Those goddamned animals are out of control. I cut a field of Sorghum the other day, and there was a significant herd 10+ of white tails on one side and ANOTHER herd of Mule deer on the other.

:cuss:

mr. tegu 10-25-2012 09:15 AM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AA-FeG-DdRA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445 10-25-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9047902)
Around here, they say there are only two kinds of drivers - those that have hit a deer and those that haven't hit one yet. So far, I am in the second category though have gotten close several times. The way I have been driving to work has been a gauntlet since it has gotten dark in the morning.

Friggin' long-legged rats.

Here too. Fortunately me and my wife are both in the "not yet" category. It's pretty amazing, half the time, on the county roads I'm half asleep anyway.

A funny deer story. We had this high school kid working for us. He was driving this like 72 Ford 3/4 ton. It was a gomer. Anyway, he left work and headed for home. Hit a deer. Busted up the grill and shit. He was pissed. He thought his dad would think he was ****ing off and wrecked. So he tied a chain onto the varmint and drug it all the way home so his dad could see that he actually hit a deer.

mr. tegu 10-25-2012 09:17 AM

They were getting really bad here basically in the middle of the city, especially around the Shawnee Mission Park area. I remember a few years ago they let a bunch of bow hunters go in the park and get around 200 of them. Things were starving to death because there was just too many.

BoneKrusher 10-25-2012 09:18 AM

in this area of Virginia i usually see one every 5 miles, i've been lucky so far.
keeps the highway department busy cleaning up 460.

kc rush 10-25-2012 09:20 AM

I hit one on a rural highway in NE Missouri in the mid-90's. I saw it so I slammed on my brakes. It rolled off my hood and took off. We had to replace the hood, front bumper and the front passenger quarter pannel. The car was drivable thankfully.

Because it was a lease vehicle, we had to have the repairs done at a Mazda dealership and there were no dealers in kirksville at that time. We had to take the car to KC and leave it there for a while.

BlackHelicopters 10-25-2012 09:20 AM

40 minute commute on an interstate 5 days a week. This time of year, one every 7-8 miles.

Al Bundy 10-25-2012 09:23 AM

I hit one back in 93. The damn thing torched the front end of my newly repainted 1985 Camaro.

blaise 10-25-2012 09:24 AM

I haven't, but I've been in cars that have. Was behind a truck once that hit one and it must have hit just right, because the deer shot like 20 feet into the air.

Frazod 10-25-2012 09:25 AM

I've come really close a few times, including one incident where the air of the car rushing by made the deer tumble, but no (at least not yet-knock on wood).

We really need to expand hunting season on those goddamn things.

kc rush 10-25-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoneKrusher (Post 9047926)
in this area of Virginia i usually see one every 5 miles, i've been lucky so far.
keeps the highway department busy cleaning up 460.

We were visiting my sister-in-law in Philly and saw at least one dead dear every mile on a long stretch between there and Pittsburgh.

They had a high divider between east and westbound traffic on the interstate and the deer would get on the road, figure out they couldn't jump the wall, panic and try to back across traffic. They were basically pinned in once they got on the interstate.

Easy 6 10-25-2012 09:29 AM

Yep, i told it to make just one more smartass remark & it didnt listen.