ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Stupid travel questions (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=237595)

joesomebody 11-29-2010 10:34 PM

Stupid travel questions

So the girlfriend has recently moved to Washington D.C.

I'd like to go see her for Valentine's day. I'd probably stay 3 or 4 nights. My question is, how hard/expensive is it to go to New York from D.C. for a day/night trip and what is the best way to travel?

I've never been to the east coast, and the largest American City I've been to is probably K.C. or St. Louis, so I'm not used to the east coast mega city ways of travelling.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Plane tickets to Dulles Airport from KC are currently going for 200 round trip on Southwest.

WebGem 11-29-2010 10:57 PM

I have traveled to DC/NY once for a weekend of indy wrestling shows. I flew into DC and out of NY, but to get from DC to NY we took a bus. It was really cheap and it was around $20.00 IIRC. It had Wi-Fi the whole ride and it was pretty nice.

mikeyis4dcats. 11-29-2010 10:58 PM

I believe they have trains, not sure the cost.

WebGem 11-29-2010 10:58 PM

https://www.boltbus.com/

http://us.megabus.com/

http://www.dc2ny.com/?gclid=CJTC383gx6UCFUVqKgodPWMyYA

TinyEvel 11-29-2010 11:00 PM

Pics of the girlfriend?

:thumb:

Rain Man 11-29-2010 11:13 PM

I haven't done it, but I think the train is the way to go.

noa 11-29-2010 11:16 PM

Boltbus is the way to go (it has outlets and wireless internet and comfortable seats), but if that doesn't work for some reason, there are tons of other bus services. I would try to catch one that leaves from the Penn Station area. The ones that leave from Chinatown are a little sketchier. MVP and Megabus are two others that come to mind. Someone else posted a link for megabus above. Should cost you only $20. Trains are overpriced.

WoodDraw 11-29-2010 11:16 PM

[edit] I ****ed that up. Bye

joesomebody 11-29-2010 11:17 PM

Thanks guys. I've never ridden on a train, so I may go that route. I may stay in D.C., I'm sure there's plenty to do there. I've always wanted to go to NYC though, and that's the closest I'll have ever been to Gotham.

joesomebody 11-29-2010 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 7211673)
You are going to have to decide what price vs. convenience means to you. A train ticket is going to cost you around $50, each way. A bus ticket less, but then you have to deal with potential for delays, weather cancelations, and general shit travel.

I just spent a couple minutes looking at airfares, and I don't think you're saving much flying into DC instead of NY. You'll probably come out about even with a lot of less stress.

My advice: fly into NY and avoid the hassel.

Hadn't even considered that. It isn't that I'm trying to save money by going to D.C. She lives in DC, so I imagine we'll spend the bulk of my trip there. Was just hoping to visit NYC while I'm out there.

Is Dulles a hassle?

WebGem 11-29-2010 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joesomebody (Post 7211680)
Is Dulles a hassle?

No, it's not.

WoodDraw 11-29-2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

Hadn't even considered that. It isn't that I'm trying to save money by going to D.C. She lives in DC, so I imagine we'll spend the bulk of my trip there. Was just hoping to visit NYC while I'm out there.

Is Dulles a hassle?

I kind of ****ed up reading your message. I read it as you trying to fly into DC, and then going to NY to meet her there.

Yeah, for sure fly into DC. That'll be cheaper than NY, and if you're spending time there that's the obvious choice.

Bus vs. train? I don't know. I hate busses. The amtrak service between New York and DC is good, and much better than around here. The Acela is the speed train between the two, but they offer cheaper service for around ~$50 each way. You can relax much more and walk around, maybe bring some food and drinks. Far more relaxing as far as I'm concerned.

Rain Man 11-29-2010 11:24 PM

Quote:

Is Dulles a hassle?

Where does she live in DC? That's a big factor. If she's in the city itself, Reagan is a much easier choice. That or take the train from Union Station right into Manhattan. (It sounds like there are some good options for buses, too.)

Dulles is fine and may be better if she's out in the 'burbs of Virginia or northern Maryland, but go with Reagan if she's in the city.

unlurking 11-29-2010 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 7211697)
I kind of ****ed up reading your message. I read it as you trying to fly into DC, and then going to NY to meet her there.

Yeah, for sure fly into DC. That'll be cheaper than NY, and if you're spending time there that's the obvious choice.

Bus vs. train? I don't know. I hate busses. The amtrak service between New York and DC is good, and much better than around here. The Acela is the speed train between the two, but they offer cheaper service for around ~$50 each way. You can relax much more and walk around, maybe bring some food and drinks. Far more relaxing as far as I'm concerned.

This.

Skip the bus and take the train. Personally I'd skip the Acela too though. Double the price, and you only knock 45 minutes off a 3.5 hour trip. Enjoy the ride and have a few drinks in the bar car.

Also, I'd recommend Reagan instead of Dulles. Walk ride onto the Metro (subway) to get downtown.

EDIT:
Rain Man beat me to the Reagan recommendation, but if she's on the north side in MD, check out BWI to fly in/out instead.

blaise 11-29-2010 11:46 PM

Those busses look good. You'd probably spend more than that on tolls if you drove and it looks like the travel time is like 4 hours, which isn't bad. They leave from Union Station in DC so you could take the metro to Union Station and the bus from there.
Just looking at dates though I noticed some were sold out already. If I were you, and wanted to go that route, I'd buy ahead of time.

The only thing with the train is if it's both of you, each way, it could be up near $200. But I guess if you want to go and you don't like busses.