ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   NFL moving draft to May (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273287)

the Talking Can 05-22-2013 04:32 PM

NFL moving draft to May

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/93...ft-moving-2014

Quote:

Roger Goodell confirmed Tuesday at the NFL's spring meetings in Boston that the draft will be moved to May in 2014, sometime between the 8th and 17th of the month.

Goodell said the change was needed next year because the venue, Radio City Music Hall, will host an Easter show in April.

"At this late stage, for us to do it the right way, we don't see having any choice but to move the date," he said.

However, Goodell said he expects the draft to remain in May, with other adjustments to the NFL's calendar, including the dates for the combine and the opening of free agency, to be discussed with the players' union.

He said trying to stage the draft in April would mean the NFL would have to find a different venue or city. He emphasized, however, that the league is pleased with its experiences at Radio City Music Hall.

Bewbies 05-22-2013 04:41 PM

http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/upl...ha-gay-gif.gif

RealSNR 05-22-2013 04:42 PM

That's dumb. People already have a tough time remembering that the draft is the last full weekend in April. They're going to be clueless when it moves to May.

The wait between the combine and the draft is already too goddamn long.

Bewbies 05-22-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9700990)
That's dumb. People already have a tough time remembering that the draft is the last full weekend in April. They're going to be clueless when it moves to May.

The wait between the combine and the draft is already too goddamn long.

Baseball is in full swing, people are focused on the end of school and summer.

Dante84 05-22-2013 06:22 PM

Why doesnt the draft rotate cities? or the combine for that matter?

I think it would help drive interest in markets where the NFL needs interest driven - future expansion cities, cities where game attendance is down really low, etc... They could sell tickets, too.

Just seems dumb to have it in those places "just cuz." **** tradition, make money and drive brand interest.

tk13 05-22-2013 06:40 PM

Interesting move. That period of time is also when a lot of TV shows are ending their seasons.

Dayze 05-22-2013 07:30 PM

lame.
Goddell needs to catch an AIDS football.

the more and more I watch the nFL, the more and more I come to almost not even giving a shit.

BourbonMan 05-22-2013 07:38 PM

You would think after all these years that Radio City Music Hall would be booked for infinity specifically for the draft...Another Pussification of the NFL because of Goodell. :#

crossbow 05-22-2013 08:00 PM

Oh good, add another month of BS and hype to endure befor the actual draft.

Chiefnj2 05-23-2013 07:49 AM

Let the kids and their families enjoy being drafted and making the transition to their new cities before they have to attend rookie mini-camps. Roger sees this as an extra month of draft hype revenue. I'm sure the nflnetwork will have a series of QB camp, CB camp, OL camp, DL camp etc.

ChiefsCountry 05-23-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9701317)
Interesting move. That period of time is also when a lot of TV shows are ending their seasons.

Piss of the tv networks during their sweeps period by throwing the draft and its huge ratings in, I'm sure CBS, NBC, and FOX will be thrilled by that.

ChiefsCountry 05-23-2013 08:41 AM

My minor league idea would work perfect now March-Early May schedule, have the championship game the Saturday night of the draft. It would keep the football fix going.

Rain Man 05-23-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 9701237)
Why doesnt the draft rotate cities? or the combine for that matter?

I think it would help drive interest in markets where the NFL needs interest driven - future expansion cities, cities where game attendance is down really low, etc... They could sell tickets, too.

Just seems dumb to have it in those places "just cuz." **** tradition, make money and drive brand interest.

Or the Super Bowl.

I really don't get why the NFL doesn't understand the value of marketing to places outside of New York. We need our next commissioner to be from a region outside the Northeast.

Skull-FU 05-23-2013 09:00 AM

The draft should be in late February. Most NFL personnel say most draft boards are already finished before the combine. Having the draft start before free agency makes a lot of sense to me. It would make free agency a lot more interesting.

chop 05-23-2013 09:29 AM

I'm a little surprised teams will be happy losing a month for the draft picks to learn the playbook.