ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   ***Official Free Agency/Trade Thread*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=180943)

OnTheWarpath15 02-29-2008 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 4607725)
The Chiefs have to spend wisely.

I'm not upset they haven't signed Faine, but they can't rely on a bunch of 3rd tier guys to fill crucial spots on this team.

There aren't enough draft picks to solidify the entire line, defensive tackle, cornerback and wide receiver.

They are going to have to spend it somewhere.

Exactly. Great post.

the Talking Can 02-29-2008 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 4607726)
I can only speak for myself, but I'm not as upset about missing out on Faine as I am the process - which as I've said before - was probably to be expected. Guess I was just hoping things might be different this year.

That, and I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea of taking our best OL and moving him to center.

While we're at it, let's move Jared Allen to DT and Tony Gonzalez to FB.

the Chiefs told anyone that would listen that they weren't going to be spending much in FA this year...if you expected them to sign guys in the first 8 hrs of FA you have only yourself to blame....

the Talking Can 02-29-2008 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimension2112 (Post 4607728)
They tried that last year and got caught with there pants down. the Jets still have a lot of cap room, much more than the Chiefs, I believe. both lines are awful and the coach and GM's asses are on the line if they don't do well next year. Jenkins and Faneca were must pick ups to improve both lines.

Jenkins and Faneca are the kind of older vets that get signed to thrill True Fans...those guys have a lot of mileage, and unless you're a ready-built contender it makes no sense....

the Jets are getting Carl-ed....thank god we aren't doing that anymore...

OnTheWarpath15 02-29-2008 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 4607731)
the Chiefs told anyone that would listen that they weren't going to be spending much in FA this year...if you expected them to sign guys in the first 8 hrs of FA you have only yourself to blame....

Spending much, and letting the first days of FA pass them by while the Jeff Faine's, Jacob Bell's and Jake Scott's of the league are signing with other teams.

I'd bet that less than 10% of this board's membership has a clue as to who's the next best FA center under the age of 30 without looking it up.

TBM is right. They can't fill all these holes in the draft, or with huge name stars like Anthony Alibi.....

:rolleyes:

OnTheWarpath15 02-29-2008 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 4607734)
Jenkins and Faneca are the kind of older vets that get signed to thrill True Fans...those guys have a lot of mileage, and unless you're a ready-built contender it makes no sense....

Yep.

I'm shocked the Jets are moving in that direction.

Bowser 02-29-2008 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 4607736)
Spending much, and letting the first days of FA pass them by while the Jeff Faine's, Jacob Bell's and Jake Scott's of the league are signing with other teams.

I'd bet that less than 10% of this board's membership has a clue as to who's the next best FA center under the age of 30 without looking it up.

TBM is right. They can't fill all these holes in the draft, or with huge name stars like Anthony Alibi.....

WE CAN'T BUY CHAMPAGNE WITH BEER MONEY!!! HERM SAID SO!!!

2112 02-29-2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 4607734)

Jenkins is 29, not that old for a fat NT/DT. I think Ted Washington played until he was 50 years old weighing 450lb's. he's good for 5 years at least and is a proven commodity. Faneca is a much better replacement than Kendall, who believe it or not anchored that line in 2006.

I don't like the Vilma deal for a 2009 pick or giving up a 3rd for Jenkins, but it is what it is.

The Bad Guy 02-29-2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimension2112 (Post 4607728)
They tried that last year and got caught with there pants down. the Jets still have a lot of cap room, much more than the Chiefs, I believe. both lines are awful and the coach and GM's asses are on the line if they don't do well next year. Jenkins and Faneca were must pick ups to improve both lines.

They could have spent the money on Jake Scott and traded for Marcus Stroud and it would have been a much better fit.

Jenkins is a guy who will get distracted by NYC.

milkman 02-29-2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

I don't expect the Chiefs to sign anyone in the first week, possibly two weeks of FA.

I was surprised that they even had any visits lined up yet.

the Talking Can 02-29-2008 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 4607736)

why not?

if our scouts and personel guys are as good as Herm and the Herm-lovers claim, then we certainly can....

I'm fine with another top 10 draft pick next year, and I certainly don't want to trade it for some schmoe named Faine....it all reeks of 8-8ism...

the Talking Can 02-29-2008 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimension2112 (Post 4607741)
Jenkins is 29, not that old for a fat NT/DT. I think Ted Washington played until he was 50 years old weighing 450lb's. he's good for 5 years at least and is a proven commodity. Faneca is a much better replacement than Kendall, who believe it or not anchored that line in 2006.

I don't like the Vilma deal for a 2009 pick or giving up a 3rd for Jenkins, but it is what it is.

Jenkins has done a lot of damage to his body....giving big money to DT pushing 30 with multiple injuries? no thanks, that's Carl's worn out philosophy...

his best days are clearly behind him, as are Faneca's....rebuilding franchises should not be signing these guys...

for once we are doing it right....

OnTheWarpath15 02-29-2008 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 4607746)
why not?

if our scouts and personel guys are as good as Herm and the Herm-lovers claim, then we certainly can....

I'm fine with another top 10 draft pick next year, and I certainly don't want to trade it for some schmoe named Faine....it all reeks of 8-8ism...

If Faine was a 30-something like these rest of these guys, I'd agree completely.

Good OL under the age of 27 are hard to come by.

Since we can't seem to develop our own, they better start thinking about getting on the phone and making a deal.

I'm just curious: (directed at everyone)

If people think Jeff Faine was overpaid, WTF do you expect Jacob Bell and Jake Scott to get?

The Bad Guy 02-29-2008 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 4607746)
why not?

There in lies the problem.

Our scouts are a lot of the reason we are in this mess. Their evaluations of guys have hurt us just as much as the activity in FA.

Frankie 02-29-2008 09:45 AM

Quote:

True. But there IS such a thing as poker talk.

nychief 02-29-2008 09:48 AM

I think the chiefs are in 2/3 year rebuilding mode at the moment. Next year is a wash... If we can solidify the line and get a couple of starters out of this draft...

THIS ****ING DEPRESSING.