ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   ***Official Free Agency/Trade Thread*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=180943)

HolmeZz 02-29-2008 01:09 AM

***Official Free Agency/Trade Thread***

Jonathan Vilma traded to Saints for a conditional 2009 draft pick.

Corey Williams traded to Browns for likely a 2nd round pick.

Gibril Wilson expected to sign with Oakland.

Deshaun Foster signs with San Francisco.

Jeff Faine to Tampa Bay.

Sure-Oz 02-29-2008 01:11 AM

Justin Smiley signs with the dolphins

Mecca 02-29-2008 01:19 AM

Gibril Wilson and Mike Huff with their corners......that's a damn good secondary.

HolmeZz 02-29-2008 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4607466)
Gibril Wilson and Mike Huff with their corners......that's a damn good secondary.

Eh. Fabian Washington isn't any good, Huff has been a disappointment to this point, and Gibril is pretty inconsistent.

Bump 02-29-2008 01:33 AM

Chiefs | D. Williams expected to visit team
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 22:35:53 -0800

Adam Caplan, of Scout.com, reports free agent LB Demorrio Williams (Falcons) is expected to visit the Kansas City Chiefs.

who???

HolmeZz 02-29-2008 01:35 AM

Demorrio would be a decent pickup. Undersized. Went to Nebraska.

Mecca 02-29-2008 04:43 AM

Kris Jenkins is on his way to the Jets for a 3rd and 5th.......

Jason Ferguson is reportedly going to be traded to the Dolphins.

Andre Davis resigned with Houston.

The Broncos are expected to sign Lance Briggs.

Mecca 02-29-2008 04:51 AM

The Packers traded franchise defensive tackle Corey Williams to the Browns for a second-round choice. Williams is expected to sign a six-year, $38 million contract. The Saints are close to finishing a trade for Jets linebacker Jonathan Vilma. Panthers defensive tackle Kris Jenkins is heading to the Jets for a third-and fifth-round pick. Vikings wide receiver Troy Williamson will go to the Jaguars for a sixth-round pick. Lions defensive tackle Shaun Rogers and Jaguars defensive tackle Marcus Stroud are also on the trading block and deals could move quickly involving them.

booger 02-29-2008 06:56 AM

From PFT

Also, a league source tells us that Chiefs defensive end Jimmy Wilkerson is heading to Tampa on Friday for a visit with the Bucs.

The Bad Guy 02-29-2008 07:05 AM

Alan Faneca to the Jets - 4 years, 32 mill

Asante Samuel likely going to the Eagles

Lito Shepperd still on the trade block

Mecca 02-29-2008 07:05 AM

Tampa Bay who only has 44 million dollars under the cap...

Mecca 02-29-2008 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4607533)
Kris Jenkins is on his way to the Jets for a 3rd and 5th.......

Jason Ferguson is reportedly going to be traded to the Dolphins.

Andre Davis resigned with Houston.

The Broncos are expected to sign Lance Briggs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 4607564)
Alan Faneca to the Jets - 4 years, 32 mill

Asante Samuel likely going to the Eagles

Lito Shepperd still on the trade block

The Jets are all over it aren't they.......Jenkins and Faneca already.

The Bad Guy 02-29-2008 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4607566)
The Jets are all over it aren't they.......Jenkins and Faneca already.

The Jets should be doing the same thing the Chiefs are doing.

They gave up picks for a guy who needs as few distractions in his life as possible. Living in NYC, tempatation will be everywhere.

Faneca would have been better served going to the 49ers or Cardinals.

the Talking Can 02-29-2008 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4607534)
Vikings wide receiver Troy Williamson will go to the Jaguars for a sixth-round pick.

what a bust he was.....

PhillyChiefFan 02-29-2008 08:28 AM

Listening to radio in Philadelphia:

ASANTE SAMUELS to sign with the Eagles...as if living here and hating the Eagles weren't enough...

:cuss::cuss::cuss:

htismaqe 02-29-2008 08:46 AM

So am I the only one that's glad the Chiefs haven't been in on alot of this?

Sounds like alot of picks and money being thrown around for guys that have BIG question marks.

htismaqe 02-29-2008 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolmeZz (Post 4607483)
Demorrio would be a decent pickup. Undersized. Went to Nebraska.

Might be a decent backup in the Cover2

The Bad Guy 02-29-2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyChiefFan (Post 4607632)
Listening to radio in Philadelphia:

ASANTE SAMUELS to sign with the Eagles...as if living here and hating the Eagles weren't enough...

:cuss::cuss::cuss:

Complete stupidity.

The guy is a primary zone corner, who will now be asked to play m2m.

This also means that Lito is on the block, and the Chiefs better be interested.

Stryker 02-29-2008 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 4607650)

Actually Derrick Anderson is a free agent and I wish they would jump in on this - NOW!

Coogs 02-29-2008 08:52 AM

Quote:

Nope. I like the fact we are building this through the draft. The draft lasts more than 1 round, and we already have two drafts under Herm in. Those guys are now on the clock to perform. Tank, Turk, and Croyle to name the three big ones. Neiswanger and Taylor on the offensive line could factor in here as well. Throw in what is hopefully a good first day in the draft this year, and several of the 8 new starters could/should/will already be here. If not, we need to fire the drafting department, or the coaches who can not develop the players once they are here.

KevB 02-29-2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

Sounds like alot of picks and money being thrown around for guys that have BIG question marks.

I agree completely. You'd have to look at Rogers or Stroud, but 2nd round pick is too steep.

Mecca 02-29-2008 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 4607657)
Complete stupidity.

The guy is a primary zone corner, who will now be asked to play m2m.

This also means that Lito is on the block, and the Chiefs better be interested.

According to some Eagles fans, Lito's knee is shot and "expecting him to play more than 10 games would be a miracle" for the rest of his career.

I'd move on Stroud, he's a stud, no ifs ands or buts about that one.

The Bad Guy 02-29-2008 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4607687)
According to some Eagles fans, Lito's knee is shot and "expecting him to play more than 10 games would be a miracle" for the rest of his career.

Weird. All of my Eagles friends are pissed off about Samuel because it means losing Lito.

I'd move on both of them. They are young enough to really help for the long haul.

The Bad Guy 02-29-2008 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stryker (Post 4607661)
Actually Derrick Anderson is a free agent and I wish they would jump in on this - NOW!

So you want to give up the 5th pick and a 3rd for him?

I don't.

Zouk 02-29-2008 09:19 AM

Quote:

There's a huge if. Serious leg problems that are making the Jags think he can't be a top-of-the-line player anymore.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3152012

Stroud, 29, has had chronic ankle problems in the past and during the offseason underwent microfracture surgery, a procedure typically used on knee injuries, to address the issue.

the Talking Can 02-29-2008 09:20 AM

Quote:

no, you're not....FA has got us nowhere....there will be FA's every year...

the Chiefs said they were going to cut vets, hoard draft picks, and play young guys...so far, they are doing just that and I'm glad...

we'll pick up some 2nd and 3rd tier guys later....

the only place I'd really care to get a FA is a #2/3 WR and an OG...

seriously, people are crying about not signing Faine? wake up people...

foxman 02-29-2008 09:24 AM

Redman Resigned FWIW with the Fal****s

and....
Quote:

February 29, 2008, 09:56
Buccaneers, Saints :: OL

Bucs Agree To Terms With C Faine
Stephen F. Holder, St. Petersburg Times - [Full Article]

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have wasted no time in addressing one of their biggest needs at the outset of the free-agent signing period. The Times has learned New Orleans free agent center Jeff Faine has agreed to a multi-year contract that will make him the league's highest-paid player at the position. Faine was expected to be one of the most intriguing offensive linemen on the market, which would explain why the Bucs are willing to open the coffers to sign him. The value of his deal will surpass those of Cleveland's LeCharles Bentley and Chicago's Olin Kreutz, currently the league's highest-paid centers.

The Bad Guy 02-29-2008 09:24 AM

The Chiefs have to spend wisely.

I'm not upset they haven't signed Faine, but they can't rely on a bunch of 3rd tier guys to fill crucial spots on this team.

There aren't enough draft picks to solidy the entire line, defensive tackle, cornerback and wide receiver.

They are going to have to spend it somewhere.

OnTheWarpath15 02-29-2008 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 4607716)

the Chiefs said they were going to cut vets, hoard draft picks, and play young guys...so far, they are doing just that and I'm glad...

we'll pick up some 2nd and 3rd tier guys later....

the only place I'd really care to get a FA is a #2/3 WR and an OG...

I can only speak for myself, but I'm not as upset about missing out on Faine as I am the process - which as I've said before - was probably to be expected. Guess I was just hoping things might be different this year.

That, and I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea of taking our best OL and moving him to center.

While we're at it, let's move Jared Allen to DT and Tony Gonzalez to FB.

2112 02-29-2008 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 4607569)
The Jets should be doing the same thing the Chiefs are doing.

They gave up picks for a guy who needs as few distractions in his life as possible. Living in NYC, tempatation will be everywhere.

Faneca would have been better served going to the 49ers or Cardinals.

They tried that last year and got caught with there pants down. the Jets still have a lot of cap room, much more than the Chiefs, I believe. both lines are awful and the coach and GM's asses are on the line if they don't do well next year. Jenkins and Faneca were must pick ups to improve both lines.

OnTheWarpath15 02-29-2008 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 4607725)
The Chiefs have to spend wisely.

I'm not upset they haven't signed Faine, but they can't rely on a bunch of 3rd tier guys to fill crucial spots on this team.

There aren't enough draft picks to solidify the entire line, defensive tackle, cornerback and wide receiver.

They are going to have to spend it somewhere.

Exactly. Great post.

the Talking Can 02-29-2008 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 4607726)
I can only speak for myself, but I'm not as upset about missing out on Faine as I am the process - which as I've said before - was probably to be expected. Guess I was just hoping things might be different this year.

That, and I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea of taking our best OL and moving him to center.

While we're at it, let's move Jared Allen to DT and Tony Gonzalez to FB.

the Chiefs told anyone that would listen that they weren't going to be spending much in FA this year...if you expected them to sign guys in the first 8 hrs of FA you have only yourself to blame....

the Talking Can 02-29-2008 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimension2112 (Post 4607728)
They tried that last year and got caught with there pants down. the Jets still have a lot of cap room, much more than the Chiefs, I believe. both lines are awful and the coach and GM's asses are on the line if they don't do well next year. Jenkins and Faneca were must pick ups to improve both lines.

Jenkins and Faneca are the kind of older vets that get signed to thrill True Fans...those guys have a lot of mileage, and unless you're a ready-built contender it makes no sense....

the Jets are getting Carl-ed....thank god we aren't doing that anymore...

OnTheWarpath15 02-29-2008 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 4607731)
the Chiefs told anyone that would listen that they weren't going to be spending much in FA this year...if you expected them to sign guys in the first 8 hrs of FA you have only yourself to blame....

Spending much, and letting the first days of FA pass them by while the Jeff Faine's, Jacob Bell's and Jake Scott's of the league are signing with other teams.

I'd bet that less than 10% of this board's membership has a clue as to who's the next best FA center under the age of 30 without looking it up.

TBM is right. They can't fill all these holes in the draft, or with huge name stars like Anthony Alibi.....

:rolleyes:

OnTheWarpath15 02-29-2008 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 4607734)
Jenkins and Faneca are the kind of older vets that get signed to thrill True Fans...those guys have a lot of mileage, and unless you're a ready-built contender it makes no sense....

Yep.

I'm shocked the Jets are moving in that direction.

Bowser 02-29-2008 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 4607736)
Spending much, and letting the first days of FA pass them by while the Jeff Faine's, Jacob Bell's and Jake Scott's of the league are signing with other teams.

I'd bet that less than 10% of this board's membership has a clue as to who's the next best FA center under the age of 30 without looking it up.

TBM is right. They can't fill all these holes in the draft, or with huge name stars like Anthony Alibi.....

WE CAN'T BUY CHAMPAGNE WITH BEER MONEY!!! HERM SAID SO!!!

2112 02-29-2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 4607734)

Jenkins is 29, not that old for a fat NT/DT. I think Ted Washington played until he was 50 years old weighing 450lb's. he's good for 5 years at least and is a proven commodity. Faneca is a much better replacement than Kendall, who believe it or not anchored that line in 2006.

I don't like the Vilma deal for a 2009 pick or giving up a 3rd for Jenkins, but it is what it is.

The Bad Guy 02-29-2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimension2112 (Post 4607728)

They could have spent the money on Jake Scott and traded for Marcus Stroud and it would have been a much better fit.

Jenkins is a guy who will get distracted by NYC.

milkman 02-29-2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

I don't expect the Chiefs to sign anyone in the first week, possibly two weeks of FA.

I was surprised that they even had any visits lined up yet.

the Talking Can 02-29-2008 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 4607736)

why not?

if our scouts and personel guys are as good as Herm and the Herm-lovers claim, then we certainly can....

I'm fine with another top 10 draft pick next year, and I certainly don't want to trade it for some schmoe named Faine....it all reeks of 8-8ism...

the Talking Can 02-29-2008 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimension2112 (Post 4607741)
Jenkins is 29, not that old for a fat NT/DT. I think Ted Washington played until he was 50 years old weighing 450lb's. he's good for 5 years at least and is a proven commodity. Faneca is a much better replacement than Kendall, who believe it or not anchored that line in 2006.

I don't like the Vilma deal for a 2009 pick or giving up a 3rd for Jenkins, but it is what it is.

Jenkins has done a lot of damage to his body....giving big money to DT pushing 30 with multiple injuries? no thanks, that's Carl's worn out philosophy...

his best days are clearly behind him, as are Faneca's....rebuilding franchises should not be signing these guys...

for once we are doing it right....

OnTheWarpath15 02-29-2008 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 4607746)
why not?

if our scouts and personel guys are as good as Herm and the Herm-lovers claim, then we certainly can....

I'm fine with another top 10 draft pick next year, and I certainly don't want to trade it for some schmoe named Faine....it all reeks of 8-8ism...

If Faine was a 30-something like these rest of these guys, I'd agree completely.

Good OL under the age of 27 are hard to come by.

Since we can't seem to develop our own, they better start thinking about getting on the phone and making a deal.

I'm just curious: (directed at everyone)

If people think Jeff Faine was overpaid, WTF do you expect Jacob Bell and Jake Scott to get?

The Bad Guy 02-29-2008 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 4607746)
why not?

There in lies the problem.

Our scouts are a lot of the reason we are in this mess. Their evaluations of guys have hurt us just as much as the activity in FA.

Frankie 02-29-2008 09:45 AM

Quote:

True. But there IS such a thing as poker talk.

nychief 02-29-2008 09:48 AM

I think the chiefs are in 2/3 year rebuilding mode at the moment. Next year is a wash... If we can solidify the line and get a couple of starters out of this draft...

THIS ****ING DEPRESSING.

Bowser 02-29-2008 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 4607754)
There in lies the problem.

Our scouts are a lot of the reason we are in this mess. Their evaluations of guys have hurt us just as much as the activity in FA.

I agree with this, but how much of that points at the Vermeil regime?

the Talking Can 02-29-2008 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 4607759)
True. But there IS such a thing as poker talk.

sure

I think we only need to be looking at FA's like Boone...the guy wasn't even a starter....he was great value

draft this year, play the young guys, get another round of high picks next year and then start looking at FA's to fill gaps....i just think we're a year away from needing to care about FA at all....

with one exception: WR....there is an abundance of #2/3 WRs available this year, and I hope we pick one up....

milkman 02-29-2008 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 4607766)
I agree with this, but how much of that points at the Vermeil regime?

And how much of the blame falls on Gunt?

It was his wish list that got us guys like Kendrell Bell and Sammy Knight.

nychief 02-29-2008 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 4607776)

I love the name"gunt" it is perfect for that old dick

Bowser 02-29-2008 09:53 AM

Quote:

Good point. The one guy he wanted that would have been worth it didn't even make it here - Julian Peterson.

Bowser 02-29-2008 09:54 AM

And don't forget Carlos Hall. ROFL

The Bad Guy 02-29-2008 09:55 AM

Quote:

All of it has to.

He ****ing wanted Hall, Knight, Bell, Surtain, Siavii.

This old back of shit set this roster back more than Vermeil.

2112 02-29-2008 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 4607752)
Jenkins has done a lot of damage to his body....giving big money to DT pushing 30 with multiple injuries? no thanks, that's Carl's worn out philosophy...

his best days are clearly behind him, as are Faneca's....rebuilding franchises should not be signing these guys...

for once we are doing it right....

Jenkins hurt his shoulder in 2004 and blew out his ACL in 2005. he's been healthy for 2 consecutive years now. and who's giving him big money? the Jets didn't sign him as a FA, it was a trade. I disagree about Faneca, but we'll have to wait and see about that.

I wouldn't call these pickups ''rebuilding the franchise'', they are more like essential plugs in some gaping holes.

Chiefnj2 02-29-2008 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 4607716)

If the choice is between signing Faine and keeping Waters at LG, or not signing Faine and moving Waters to center and hoping to fill the OL with 3 rookies, then I certainly would have preferred the Faine option.

OnTheWarpath15 02-29-2008 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 4607785)
If the choice is between signing Faine and keeping Waters at RG, or not signing Faine and moving Waters to center and hoping to fill the OL with 3 rookies, then I certainly would have preferred the Faine option.

QFT.

the Talking Can 02-29-2008 10:02 AM

Quote:

If the choice is between signing Faine and keeping Waters at LG, or not signing Faine and moving Waters to center and hoping to fill the OL with 3 rookies, then I certainly would have preferred the Faine option.

I'd rather play the rookies...

milkman 02-29-2008 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 4607780)
All of it has to.

He ****ing wanted Hall, Knight, Bell, Surtain, Siavii.

This old back of shit set this roster back more than Vermeil.

In the end, all the blame falls back on Carl.

It was clear that Spinner needed to go, but Carl brings Gunt back and gives him the keys to the defense?

That's ****ing stupidity of the highest order.

Sad thing is, these same dumb****s are still here.

Bowser 02-29-2008 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 4607790)
In the end, all the blame falls back on Carl.

It was clear that Spinner needed to go, but Carl brings Gunt back and gives him the keys to the defense?

That's ****ing stupidity of the highest order.

Sad thing is, these same dumb****s are still here.

An interesting hindsight discussion -

Who was available at the time Robinson got canned, or who has moved into a D-Coordinator position with success since Gunt came home?

Chiefnj2 02-29-2008 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 4607789)
I'd rather play the rookies...

Which rookies?

milkman 02-29-2008 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 4607793)
An interesting hindsight discussion -

Who was available at the time Robinson got canned, or who has moved into a D-Coordinator position with success since Gunt came home?

I think I might have been clamoring for a Raven LB coach or a Buc asst at the time.

Don't really remember specifics.

the Talking Can 02-29-2008 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 4607794)
Which rookies?

don't care

Sure-Oz 02-29-2008 10:28 AM

As long as we get bryant johnson and brown i will be happy and another solid player on D or two.

htismaqe 02-29-2008 10:34 AM

Quote:

I agree with that.

Archie Bunker 02-29-2008 10:54 AM

Kawika to Buffalo

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/288087.html

The Buffalo Bills have reached an agreement with New York Giants free-agent outside linebacker Kawika Mitchell, The Buffalo News has learned.

Meanwhile, former Pro Bowl defensive tackle Marcus Stroud of the Jacksonville Jaguars is scheduled to visit the Bills today. Stroud is not a free agent but has been given permission from the Jaguars to seek a trade.

Mitchell, 28, is a five-year veteran who started 16 games for the Super Bowl champions last season. He's 6-foot-1 and 253 pounds. He figures to be an immediate upgrade at strong-side linebacker for the Bills' defense.

Mitchell is expected in Buffalo later today to sign a contract.

For the latest on the Bills, check back at Buffalonews.com and see Saturday's Buffalo News.

Coogs 02-29-2008 11:41 AM

ESPN.com front page is reporting Anderson and Cleveland have reached a deal, and that the Vilma to the Saints trade is done as well.

blueballs 02-29-2008 11:44 AM

Is Jerome Mathis worth going after
the Texans didn't get him signed
who's their return man now

Bowser 02-29-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueballs (Post 4608016)

Andre Davis resigned with them. I assume he'll be their returner.

kcchiefsus 02-29-2008 11:49 AM

Quote:

As if Stroud doesn't have HIS own injury problems?

blueballs 02-29-2008 11:51 AM

This offense needs all the help it can get
if you want the D to give them a short field -STs too
it may be worth it to sign a know product even on a young team

melbar 02-29-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimension2112 (Post 4607784)
Jenkins hurt his shoulder in 2004 and blew out his ACL in 2005. he's been healthy for 2 consecutive years now. and who's giving him big money? the Jets didn't sign him as a FA, it was a trade. I disagree about Faneca, but we'll have to wait and see about that.

I wouldn't call these pickups ''rebuilding the franchise'', they are more like essential plugs in some gaping holes.

Roaf was 31 when we signed him...

EyePod 02-29-2008 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melbar (Post 4608060)
Roaf was 31 when we signed him...

Don't use that as your norm. Deals with players that old don't normally end up that well.

melbar 02-29-2008 12:53 PM

Looking at the NFL.com free agent news page and not one mention of the Chiefs even talking to or planning to meet anyone.:shake:

melbar 02-29-2008 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EyePod (Post 4608075)
Don't use that as your norm. Deals with players that old don't normally end up that well.

O-linemen havent fared all that badly at 30...

Sure-Oz 02-29-2008 01:12 PM

rotoworld.com
Jerry Porter-WR-Jaguars Feb. 29 - 1:25 pm et

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that the Jaguars agreed to terms with Jerry Porter on a six-year, $30 million contract, with $10 million guaranteed.

That's almost reasonable in this market. Jacksonville likes their wideouts bulky and Porter will help in the red zone, hurting Reggie Williams. Porter will start, probably opposite Williams or Matt Jones, with Dennis Northcutt in the slot. Porter should be a solid starter, their nominal "number one," but his fantasy potential is limited to WR3/4 status in a conservative spread-the-wealth offense. Troy Williamson's chance to make an impact just went down.

Coogs 02-29-2008 01:27 PM

Some of this isn't new, but...

Chiefs miss out on Faine, ready for Falcons linebacker's visit
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
The Chiefs were anticipating today’s arrival of Atlanta linebacker Demorrio Williams as the NFL’s free agent market opened.

The Chiefs were hoping for a visit from one of their other top free-agent targets, Seattle kicker Josh Brown.

They never had a chance for New Orleans center Jeff Faine, who quickly accepted an offer from Tampa Bay.

Dallas cornerback Jacques Reeves was scheduled to meet with the Chiefs on Tuesday.

Their plans for Williams were immediately unclear. One starting linebacker is Derrick Johnson, who is only 25 and played well last season.

But the Chiefs were disappointed in Napoleon Harris, who signed as a free agent last year. They are also concerned with the advancing age of the third starter, Donnie Edwards, who will be 35 in April.

Williams, 27, started for the Falcons at outside linebacker last season.

Bill Lundberg 02-29-2008 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueballs (Post 4608016)

Yep
Quote:

Texans KR Jerome Mathis was reportedly arrested over the weekend for choking his pregnant girlfriend.
Mathis was already on the roster bubble, even with Andre' Davis still unsigned. A restricted free agent, he could go untendered. Mathis has also had run-ins with the law in the past and may face discipline from the league.
Source: Profootballtalk.com

CupidStunt 02-29-2008 01:30 PM

DeMorrio Williams isn't a bad player. He's not great or anything, but he's young and would suit a cover-two scheme well because of his speed. I'd rather sign him to a cheap-ish deal and see what he has for a year or two as opposed to wasting time with a 35-year-old tackle-misser.

htismaqe 02-29-2008 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lj4mvp (Post 4608264)
DeMorrio Williams isn't a bad player. He's not great or anything, but he's young and would suit a cover-two scheme well because of his speed. I'd rather sign him to a cheap-ish deal and see what he has for a year or two as opposed to wasting time with a 35-year-old tackle-misser.

QFT

Micjones 02-29-2008 02:13 PM

Williams won't be a bad signing.

I was really hoping we'd fill that need in the Draft though.
We need a Guard or Center, Wide Receiver and Corner through FA.

Archie Bunker 02-29-2008 02:18 PM

Gay to visit Saints: New England Patriots cornerback Randall Gay is scheduled to visit with the New Orleans Saints on Saturday, and he also is drawing interest from Atlanta, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Detroit, Kansas City and New England. A source said Gay is likely to take around three visits, and is hoping to command a five-year deal in the range of $15 million to $25 million in total money.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns