ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Is it better not to take Miami's 6th? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=162236)

CrazyHorse 04-29-2007 01:50 PM

Is it better not to take Miami's 6th?

If we cut Green do we get a compensatory pick.

Not sure on the requirements for compensatory picks. But if so, it seems like we are better off to keep him than let him go for a 6th.

htismaqe 04-29-2007 01:52 PM

I would imagine the league would consider him a backup up at this point, so we wouldn't get a decent pick for him. :(

Valiant 04-29-2007 01:54 PM

i think we would get a better compensation pick then what Miami could offer us... Should be a 4-5th rounder, hopefully a 3rd but it will never happen since he got hurt last year...

blueballs 04-29-2007 01:59 PM

The Dolphins are laughing stock

Mecca 04-29-2007 02:01 PM

Compensation would have to do with how much money he got and how he played......I doubt we'd get much.

Mile High Mania 04-29-2007 02:04 PM

Carl was doing a deal with one of the ESPN guys and said Trent was the starter if the season started tomorrow... I think he's somewhat freaked about not being able to trade Trent.

LTforMVP 04-29-2007 02:13 PM

You dont get compensation picks for players that are released or traded.

They are only given out for unrestrictred free agents that sign with another team.

Priestgets30TDs 04-29-2007 02:26 PM

Wouldn't it be restricted free agents?

Phobia 04-29-2007 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priestgets30TDs
Wouldn't it be restricted free agents?

No, that's something completely different. If another team offers a contract to one of your RFA's that you elect not to match you get whatever you spent on him in the draft unless you tender him at a higher value.

Deberg_1990 04-29-2007 02:57 PM

Wont we have to pay him like 7 mil if we keep him past June 1st?? No way we pay him that.

buddha 04-29-2007 03:32 PM

It is Miami who is over a barrell in this situation, not KC. Giving up Green, even at this point in his career, for a 6th round pick is ludicrous. Why bother? We can afford to wait things out because Miami is in a world of hurt right now at QB. They have Cleo Lemmons, the new BYU QB, and the big, fat stiff Culpepper (who still hasn't rehabbed himself after TWO years!).

We should jack the asking price up to a third rounder starting tomorrow morning and never look back.

Screw Miami.

bigbucks24 04-29-2007 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha
It is Miami who is over a barrell in this situation, not KC. Giving up Green, even at this point in his career, for a 6th round pick is ludicrous. Why bother? We can afford to wait things out because Miami is in a world of hurt right now at QB. They have Cleo Lemmons, the new BYU QB, and the big, fat stiff Culpepper (who still hasn't rehabbed himself after TWO years!).

We should jack the asking price up to a third rounder starting tomorrow morning and never look back.

Screw Miami.

How about this for a scenerio. You have a car. It's not a good car, but it's a car. You go down to the dealer for a new car (well, it's not really new. It's actually pretty old. And the engine might be blown, you aren't sure).
He says, "Buy this car for $10,000."
You say "I won't pay you more than $6,000."
The dealer says, "OK. How about $8,000."
You say, "No. I will only pay $6,000."
The dealer says, "You have to have this car. You have no choice. The last customer paid $8,000 so $8,000 is a fair price. Pay it or you don't get the car."
You say, "I won't pay more than $6,000."
The dealer says, "Fine. The new price is $9,000."

Now, you don't get the car and the dealer doesn't get the sale. But did it do any good at all to jack the price up at the end? In the end, no one goes away happy. The dealer is still sitting with an old car with a possible blown engine and the customer is stilll without a good car.

It's probably best that you keep your QB with the health issues and possible attitude issues and we keep our poor QB's. Are we making a playoff run? Not a chance. Then again, not a chance with Trent (and LJ and Tony G. for that matter). Could we go 4-12 this year with Cleo and Beck as our starters? Probably a pretty good chance of it. Would we have gone any better than 6-10 or 7-9 with Trent. Doubt it. I can understand Carl's position and Randy's position. I guess we both move on.

Phobia 04-29-2007 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990
Wont we have to pay him like 7 mil if we keep him past June 1st?? No way we pay him that.

No. If he's on the active roster for the season opener his salary becomes guaranteed.

morphius 04-29-2007 05:11 PM

I don't think you give up a QB to another team in the AFC for what is most likely a practice squad player, if he is even that lucky. Especially when you can get a 5th rounder for a kick returner.

Seriously, if we are going to cut him I think we don't drop him until after June 1st, so that they are forced to try to fit all of Trent's training in after all of the mini camps are done. Sure we wouldn't get anything for him, but we would put Miami pretty far behind to prove a point.

tk13 04-29-2007 05:28 PM

If we don't have to cut him I'd keep him. Carl played this thing like he was supposed to. I thought all along that Carl originally said a 2nd, Miami said a 6th, and logic dictated they'd meet in the middle in the 4th round, that's what negotiation is. Carl did it right on his end, and Miami just didn't do anything, so screw them. I'd really rather Carl not budge below the 4th rounder, although I could see them meeting at a 5th rounder next year.