ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Thomas Jones to donate brain for study after death (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268964)

nychief 01-16-2013 10:54 AM

Thomas Jones to donate brain for study after death

Thomas Jones fears developing CTE
Updated: January 16, 2013, 10:00 AM ET
By Jane McManus | ESPNNewYork.com

Thomas Jones, a retired running back who played for five teams in 12 NFL seasons, has decided to donate his brain upon his death to the Sports Legacy Institute to be studied for evidence of chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE). Jones said he has no idea how many concussions he sustained, but that he's concerned with what they could mean for his future.

"Honestly, like I couldn't give you a number because you just play with them," Jones said. "You can't know; nobody does. I think the guys counting the concussions were the ones that got knocked out."

The Sports Legacy Institute won't confirm individual donations, but a spokesperson said that more than 600 living athletes have decided to donate their brains to be studied. Of 34 neural tissue samples from NFL players, 33 had evidence of CTE. Jones said he can only guess at what has happened to his brain after 20 years of games and practices -- and numerous "baby concussions" -- through his NFL, college and high school career.

"It's like taking a fresh, ripe apple and tapping it with your thumb over and over again," Jones said.

Jones is in the editing process of a documentary series, "The NFL: The Gift or the Curse?" The first of six planned episodes, produced by Jones' company Independently Major Entertainment Films, deals with concussions and suicide.

He interviewed Ann McKee, co-director of the Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy at Boston University and co-director Chris Nowinski about the issue. Jones decided to make his donation after conducting interviews for the project.

Last week, Junior Seau's family revealed that his brain showed evidence of CTE when he committed suicide last year. This generation of players is the first to play with concrete evidence that they could be compromising not-too-distant futures by playing professional football.

In the documentary, Jones also interviewed former defensive end Adewale Ogunleye, who was drafted by the Dolphins in 2000. Ogunleye sees ominous signs in what might just be everyday forgetfulness.

"Somebody might tell me their name; I don't remember it right away," Ogunleye said. "Now I kind of laugh it off but when stuff like that happens, I'll be like, 'Damn, I hope these concussions don't come back to haunt us in the end.' And if they do, I just pray someone is there to help me through the tough times that may come."

In the rough cut, Ogunleye then puts his face in his hands. Jones comes over and puts his arm on Ogunleye's shoulder.

These issues are personal for NFL players. Jones uses the example of Dave Duerson's suicide in February of last year.

"His suicide, you see it on TV and it's just news," Jones said. "But to us, it's more than that."

Jones envisions the series as the players speaking directly to the fans about the pitfalls of playing in the NFL. He understands that many people see attaining the dream of playing in the NFL as a dream come true, but wants to show what it looks like through the eyes of the men who reached that goal.

"The fans look at it as money," Jones said, "but once you've bought everything you want, you realize there is more you want out of life."

The series also will focus on issues such as domestic violence and financial pressures. Jones is talking with possible distributors for the project.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...n-science-dies

loochy 01-16-2013 10:56 AM

I hope they have an electron microscope handy.

Chief_For_Life58 01-16-2013 11:00 AM

im kinda excited to see this documentary hes helping put together

HolyHat 01-16-2013 11:07 AM

I love how all these Athletes try and make us feel sorry for them. You signed the million dollar contract to get hit in the head thousands of times, nobody forced you to do it. You could have gone a different route with your free college degree. Shut the **** up and cash your check while the rest of us work 9-5. I don't care about your head problems, not even a little bit.

InChiefsHeaven 01-16-2013 11:08 AM

This will be the end of football. Not the documentary, but the concussions. Mom's and dad's won't want their kids to even start playing because of this. If it can be demonstrated that the sport, played over the course of about 20 years, can screw your brain up like this, parents won't even want their kids to get started in it.

Me, I played until sophomore year. Was a "B" teamer and special teams guy. In other words, I sucked, so I was fodder for the A team. I got my ass kicked a lot, but I stopped at the age of 16. I see no ill effects. But I quit way earlier than these guys.

I dunno. It's depressing.

Dayze 01-16-2013 11:11 AM

2 inches per / CTE

Dayze 01-16-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 9324070)
This will be the end of football. Not the documentary, but the concussions. Mom's and dad's won't want their kids to even start playing because of this. If it can be demonstrated that the sport, played over the course of about 20 years, can screw your brain up like this, parents won't even want their kids to get started in it.

Me, I played until sophomore year. Was a "B" teamer and special teams guy. In other words, I sucked, so I was fodder for the A team. I got my ass kicked a lot, but I stopped at the age of 16. I see no ill effects. But I quit way earlier than these guys.

watch the documentary "Head Games". I watched it for the F of it one late Saturday night after gaming/drinking; I thought it was very interesting.

Skyy God 01-16-2013 11:16 AM

Gonna be hard for his brain to get to the Sports Legacy Institute 3 yards at a time.....

loochy 01-16-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 9324122)
Gonna be hard for his brain to get to the Sports Legacy Institute 3 yards at a time.....

3 yards? I wish. Try 1 yard.

HolyHat 01-16-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 9324122)

I get it...

HolyHat 01-16-2013 11:23 AM

I get a headache if I don't drink 2 red bulls in a day. Should I donate my brain?

These guys all want to come out after they retire and cry about injuries. Ok, thats fine please return all your money to the NFL vault and we will fix your brain.

Amnorix 01-16-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 9324070)

So let's assume you started when you were at 8 years old, which is about as early as it gets. You played 8 years, total. And when you're young you seriously just aren't moving all that fast. The violence of the collisions increases as you get older.

If Jones started at the same age as you, he played your 8 years, plus 2 more HS years, plus 4 more college, plus 12 pro, so a total of 26 years. More than triple you, and MOST of those were when the action is much, much faster/harder, and the chances of concussion that might higher.

That, more than anything else, is why you're almost definitely fine, and he is probably ****ed.

Brock 01-16-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9324064)
I don't care about your head problems, not even a little bit.

Stupid.

Amnorix 01-16-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9324064)
I love how all these Athletes try and make us feel sorry for them. You signed the million dollar contract to get hit in the head thousands of times, nobody forced you to do it. You could have gone a different route with your free college degree. Shut the **** up and cash your check while the rest of us work 9-5. I don't care about your head problems, not even a little bit.

You're an idiot. Just sayin'

HolyHat 01-16-2013 11:32 AM

I don't care what anyone says, my mind will not change about this. You choose your path. You knew the risks involved, don't come crying about it. You could have taken your free college education and gotten a great job working for 6 figures, and not had to worry about concussions. Instead you wanted big money so you took the risk. I don't give a shit. Go play tennis next time pussy