ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Peter King: You have to go back to 1997 to find a draft like this one (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270181)

htismaqe 02-19-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9415356)
I would expect more from you. See my last post for why.

I'll bet I've watched more snaps of Geno and Tyler Wilson than Reid has.

I really don't care what you expect from me.

jAZ 02-19-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9415343)
what's the point of a message board where you're constantly told to "be quiet, you're not a real GM"?

should we just discuss beer (even though we aren't real brewers)?

I"m not saying be quiet. I'm saying have fun, but if you start to take your (barely informed) opinions very seriously, you're trying too hard.

Measure outcomes (wins, losses) and don't get too wrapped up in the day to day details even if you follow them passionately like we do here.

It's still possible and rational to want one thing and recognize that if the professionals come to the same conclusion, that doesn't make you a genius and if they professionals disagree it doesn't make them idiots.

the Talking Can 02-19-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9415357)
Andy Reid is good.

yes, at pawning off backup QBs for picks...a desirable trait

and that has nothing to do with issue of drafting a franchise QB, or the fact that Reid's success has come with a QB drafted #2...

or that you take yourself more seriously than anyone on this board, to the point is hilarious...it's obvious you feel neglected in your professional life

and you're a bore

jAZ 02-19-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9415365)
I'll bet I've watched more snaps of Geno and Tyler Wilson than Reid has.

I really don't care what you expect from me.

Maybe, but I'm certain that you haven't ever built an NFL offense, or coached an NFL QB. And I'm all but sure that none of those snaps were NFL scouting film with all of the moving parts visible.

So what you watch doesn't have any context.

That you would not appreciate that without having it pointed out... is surprising, honestly. I don't typically think of you as being among the group of fans who take themselves overly seriously.

But as you rightly point out, you don't (and probably shouldn't) care much for what I say. The only thing I know is that I don't know.

Hammock Parties 02-19-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9415385)
Maybe, but I'm certain that you haven't ever built an NFL offense, or coached an NFL QB. And I'm all but sure that none of those snaps were NFL scouting film with all of the moving parts visible.

So what you watch doesn't have any context.

Pioli had complete access to every Matt Cassel snap ever and was completely reeruned over him.

Fallacious appeals to authority don't jive.

DJ's left nut 02-19-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9415363)
I'm not slamming Alex Smith to justify Geno Smith.

I'm slamming Alex Smith because he DESERVES IT.

His brief 20-game stint under Harbaugh is the EXCEPTION for his career, not the rule.

There is zero reason, other than blind faith, to believe he'll recreate 2011-2012 once he's removed from the Harbaugh environment.

Nonsense.

First off, his "brief 20 game stint" was actually 26 games in a career that is only 80 games long. In other words, that 'brief stint' was actually the latter 1/3 of his career, which just so happened to coincide with the beginning of his athletic prime.

Beyond that, he put up solid numbers in 2009 and 2010 under Singletary as well. That was coming off a serious shoulder injury and with the most overmatched head coach in football running the show.

Yeah, he had a lousy start to his career. But for 4 consecutive seasons he's improved. His decisionmaking is strong, his accuracy is above average. He's mobile in the pocket and he is a good leader.

If you start from his 2010 baseline, then adjust it for things he has actually learned under Harbaugh, as well as working under a HC that actually knows how to run an offense and can work to his strengths, why is it crazy to think he couldn't improve by about 10% from where he was pre-Harbaugh?

If he does, that puts his passer rating in the high 80s. Again, it's not elite, but yes you can win with that guy. All he's lacking is a cannon of an arm but he does a lot of other things extremely well.

I remain hopeful that this is just a visceral reaction from you that's really just a back-alley defense of Geno Smith. Otherwise you're left with simply talking out your ass. There is ample evidence to suggest that Alex Smith can be a solid QB in this league.

jAZ 02-19-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9415380)
yes, at pawning off backup QBs for picks...a desirable trait

and that has nothing to do with issue of drafting a franchise QB, or the fact that Reid's success has come with a QB drafted #2...

or that you take yourself more seriously than anyone on this board, to the point is hilarious...it's obvious you feel neglected in your professional life

and you're a bore

Those players played far better for AR then anywhere else. AJ Feeley won games and put the Eagles into the playoffs.

I'm sure I'm a bore. Deferring to AR on the QB position is a lot less interesting than making a fuss over a college QB that lots of people publicly question. But trusting AR on finding a QB that he can win games with is historically a great bet. Far better bet than anything anyone on here says, over time. That is boring though, I'll admit.

KevB 02-19-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9415363)
I'm not slamming Alex Smith to justify Geno Smith.

I'm slamming Alex Smith because he DESERVES IT.

His brief 20-game stint under Harbaugh is the EXCEPTION for his career, not the rule.

There is zero reason, other than blind faith, to believe he'll recreate 2011-2012 once he's removed from the Harbaugh environment.

I'm not going to argue for Alex, but I will say is that "brief" 20 months was also his most recent 20 months. Perhaps experience and maturity are a part of his recent success? I would also very much like to believe that the Harbaugh environment isn't much better than the Reid environment when it comes to quarterbacks.

RealSNR 02-19-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9415376)

It's still possible and rational to want one thing and recognize that if the professionals come to the same conclusion, that doesn't make you a genius and if they professionals disagree it doesn't make them idiots.

I will agree with you 100% after the Chiefs draft a QB at #1 overall. That's when hardcore professional scouting trumps my hobby.

The issue of taking a QB isn't a matter of scouting. It's a matter of philosophy and principle.

I didn't see you giving John McCain or Mitt Romney a pass. I'm pretty sure you were just fine with saying, "McCain is no different than Bush, which hasn't done very well for the country." You didn't know that. You didn't know what McCain or Romney would be all about and yet you still assumed they would employ the same strategy that you railed against for the last 8 years.

The Chiefs are faced with doing what we've been doing for the past 30 years, not 8. We have the option of going with the strategy that got us into this mess, or we can switch up the strategy and go with something completely different for a bit, and see if that works.

Sorry to inject political dialogue into the main Lounge, but if that's all you understand, then that's the language I'll have to talk.

tony77 02-19-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9414902)
He's got a point. This draft class isn't great by any means. Some of you are just blind.

I agree

jAZ 02-19-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9415391)
***** had complete access to every Matt Cassel snap ever and was completely reeruned over him.

Fallacious appeals to authority don't jive.

MC was a far better bet at the time than the alternative being considered in Mark Sanchez. More certainty, less cost. Looking back, they had the same success. And as a result, Matt Cassel was factually a better investment even looking back.

tony77 02-19-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9414914)
You mean the same one that rocketed RG3 up to the number 2 spot in the draft. :rolleyes:

Smith only played 1 yr in the big 12

Hammock Parties 02-19-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9415409)
MC was a far better bet at the time than the alternative being considered in Mark Sanchez. More certainty, less cost. Looking back, they had the same success. And as a result, Matt Cassel was factually a better investment even looking back.

Yeah, what about Josh Freeman? ***** failed, hardcore. If he had any idea that Matt Cassel was shitty, he would NEVER have given him 60m.

You are such a shitty homer.

And "looking back" at least Mark Sanchez won playoff games. Matt never came close.

Wrong again, homer.

tony77 02-19-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9414967)
Drafting to please fans is a really terrible strategy.

You are correct.

RealSNR 02-19-2013 11:22 AM

Matt Cassel also led to the Tyson Jackson pick. Had we used it on a QB, we would have had the #34 pick, which could have been something pretty good. At least it would have been something better than Jackson.

So no. Looking back, the Cassel deal in hindsight was WORSE than drafting Sanchez. Much worse.