ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Playstation 4 price and Xbox 720 is announced (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272150)

Mr. Plow 11-21-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10207845)
The xbox is a fine system. Only three things I don't like about it
1. dashboard ****ing sucks
2. 3rd party paid services are still behind a paywall
3. don't need or want Kinect

It is a great gaming machine. Just not my first choice.

EDIT
For the record, the PS4 controller batterylife is not very good. Especially compared to the PS3 controllers that lasted friggin forever.

1. I don't think the dashboard is all that bad. The tiles & the look is what MS has been going to in all their products so maybe I'm just used to them.

2. This is a non issue. You aren't buying these systems JUST to use 3rd party services. You buy these systems to get the full use out of all the features. One of those features is online gaming which requires a PS+ or Gold acct. So in order to use one of the most basic functions of the system, you have already met the requirement for all remaining apps without an extra expense. This is just a talking point people like to complain about like it affects the way they use their systems - it doesn't.

3. I was with you. I didn't really care for the Kinect & it was likely going to be one of the reasons I went PS first this round. But, after seeing the Kinect in action, it's pretty sweet. I can understand not wanting it and it being the determining factor to prevent you (or anyone else) from buying a XBO though.

Mr. Plow 11-21-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10208625)
Yeah, the 75% command recognition has me thinking I'd just be yelling at the thing constantly. That and are other people in my home, we don't need another way to annoy one another.

The one guy that seemed to be having a bit of trouble and having to repeat commands a couple times.... To me he seemed to be speaking a little quickly on some of his commands. The ones that went through the first time were the ones where he spoke clearly.

Could be wrong though.

Saulbadguy 11-21-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 10208910)
1. I don't think the dashboard is all that bad. The tiles & the look is what MS has been going to in all their products so maybe I'm just used to them.

2. This is a non issue. You aren't buying these systems JUST to use 3rd party services. You buy these systems to get the full use out of all the features. One of those features is online gaming which requires a PS+ or Gold acct. So in order to use one of the most basic functions of the system, you have already met the requirement for all remaining apps without an extra expense. This is just a talking point people like to complain about like it affects the way they use their systems - it doesn't.

3. I was with you. I didn't really care for the Kinect & it was likely going to be one of the reasons I went PS first this round. But, after seeing the Kinect in action, it's pretty sweet. I can understand not wanting it and it being the determining factor to prevent you (or anyone else) from buying a XBO though.

I disagree with you on #2. When I owned a 360, I never did a full years sub to LIVE. All I really played online was Gears of War, and when we tired of that, there was really nothing else we were interested in. Month to month worked much better for me.

If it were my only system, I wouldn't have access to Netflix during the months there wasn't any games that I wanted to play online. Or i'd simply have to pay for LIVE.

007 11-21-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 10208886)
Is that game worth buying. I've considered that or nba2k14

Yeah, took me a bit to adjust to the changes but it is worth it.

Mr. Plow 11-21-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 10208954)
I disagree with you on #2. When I owned a 360, I never did a full years sub to LIVE. All I really played online was Gears of War, and when we tired of that, there was really nothing else we were interested in. Month to month worked much better for me.

If it were my only system, I wouldn't have access to Netflix during the months there wasn't any games that I wanted to play online. Or i'd simply have to pay for LIVE.

You're not an online gamer then as far as consoles go. If I remember correctly, you are more of a computer gamer - I could be remembering wrong though.

I could see in your case that it would be an issue - but for 95% of console gamers they are buying to play games online.

htismaqe 11-21-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10208076)
Pretty much the same for me plus I prefer the PS exclusives.

Also, the coup on the battery life is charging while console is off.

Yep. Get a dock and you'll never know how long the batteries last. Had one for 360 and PS3, never had a dead battery ever.

jiveturkey 11-21-2013 11:40 AM

I think it's dumb that the PS4 doesn't support 5ghz wifi

htismaqe 11-21-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 10208384)
Everyone keeps talking up the Order 1886 but I wonder... why? You've seen a glorified teaser trailer that obviously isn't gameplay but yet everyone says it's going to be an amazing game.

It was the GameInformer cover story this past month. They've played it. They said it's awesome.

htismaqe 11-21-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 10208910)

Wrong. It is anything but a non-issue.

We buy these systems to PLAY GAMES. They don't necessarily HAVE to be online either.

So with Microsoft, I'm forced to have TWO devices in my entertainment center - one to play games and one to watch movies.

With the PS4, I can do both in one box.

htismaqe 11-21-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 10209351)
I think it's dumb that the PS4 doesn't support 5ghz wifi

5Ghz wifi is overrated anyway. There's so many potential issues and the throughput is only better under very specific conditions.

htismaqe 11-21-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 10208990)
You're not an online gamer then as far as consoles go. If I remember correctly, you are more of a computer gamer - I could be remembering wrong though.

I could see in your case that it would be an issue - but for 95% of console gamers they are buying to play games online.

You're way high at 95%.

Mr. Plow 11-21-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10209384)
You're way high at 95%.

I could be - I just made a high assumption to prove a point that I didn't have data to back up.

In your opinion, what percentage of people do you think buys these systems for gaming - both offline & online vs. those that buy these systems for offline gaming only?

I would guess a very high majority don't buy these systems for offline gaming only, but that is my opinion. If it were just offline gaming, I wouldn't be spending the money on either system personally.

htismaqe 11-21-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 10209403)
I could be - I just made a high assumption to prove a point that I didn't have data to back up.

In your opinion, what percentage of people do you think buys these systems for gaming - both offline & online vs. those that buy these systems for offline gaming only?

I would guess a very high majority don't buy these systems for offline gaming only, but that is my opinion. If it were just offline gaming, I wouldn't be spending the money on either system personally.

I'd say the number of people that play predominantly online are more in the 75% range. After all, just look at the sales of games that are offline-only (ie. Skyrim) - they're still selling millions of units.

The problem with the paywall is that you're alienating two types of people - those like me that might don't play online enough to justify a membership at all. And people like Saul who don't play online enough to justify signing up in 1-year blocks.

Maybe if M$ would offer me more than just the privilege of playing online (with a game I've already paid full price for, no less) with their membership, it would be different.

For example, with my PS+ account, I got Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen for free. It sells for around $35 used. It's $39.99 new.

THAT is value.

Mr. Plow 11-21-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10209423)
I'd say the number of people that play predominantly online are more in the 75% range. After all, just look at the sales of games that are offline-only (ie. Skyrim) - they're still selling millions of units.

The problem with the paywall is that you're alienating two types of people - those like me that might don't play online enough to justify a membership at all. And people like Saul who don't play online enough to justify signing up in 1-year blocks.

Maybe if M$ would offer me more than just the privilege of playing online (with a game I've already paid full price for, no less) with their membership, it would be different.

For example, with my PS+ account, I got Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen for free. It sells for around $35 used. It's $39.99 new.

THAT is value.

MS has been doing "Games with Gold" or whatever it is. Two free games a month. I think PS has been doing something similar. So there is value outside of just paying $4.00/month to have it.

Single player games are still around, I know. But, you can't deny that everything is going towards the online capabilities for games. It's just the way it is now. The single player is becoming an after thought to the MP portions of games. I think that is BS because I still enjoy the SP of most games I play.

I do agree though if I were just an offline gamer the XBO would be a no go for me as well. I can understand not wanting to pay for a service that I won't use to get a service that I want.

Mr. Plow 11-21-2013 12:08 PM

Look at the back of the damn COD: Ghost case..... "Offline Play Enabled". The SP's suffer because of this type of shit. "Offline Play" is now a feature.

http://i.imgur.com/e4uKhTG.png