ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Your Best Smoked Brisket Recipe (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269592)

TribalElder 02-01-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9371442)
I first saw "burnt ends" described on that show Man vs. Food when they were down at the Salt Lick BBQ in Austin.

Never been there but looking at their menu I don't see it listed either.

Beware of resturaunts who display burnt ends on the menu without the terms "when available"

Fire Me Boy! 02-01-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 9371668)
Beware of resturaunts who display burnt ends on the menu without the terms "when available"

Truth.

houstonwhodat 02-01-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 9371668)

There are only so many ends on a brisket.

DJ's left nut 02-01-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9371435)
Ah - the great brisket debate. I don't think this has ever been proven one way or another. Some guys swear this to be gospel an others don't. Obviously there's a point where a cut is going to be smoke saturated but I'm not sure it has been scientifically proven anywhere specific.

I learned a long time ago that there isn't "a way" to do barbecue. If there was a holy grail, the pros would've figured it out by now.

Even guys like Myron Mixon (who is the mouthiest, know it all prick around) don't win every time out. The guys that have been barbecuing professionally for 30 years still tinker with how they do it.

I think there are certainly verified truths out there...I guess. But shit like "put on hot vs. cold" isn't one of them. Fat up vs. fat down isn't either. There are ways to do it and then there are ways I do it. There are a ton of people that do a better job than me and ultimately our NOLA friend may end up one of them. But there are still things that he can take away from my method if he so chooses and there are a bunch of things I can learn from other guys.

That's what makes it fun. Unless you're Myron Mixon. Then you have fun calling everyone else an asshole for not doing it exactly like you do. That or you accuse them of 'stealing' from you because they combined pepper and paprika and that's what you did last week.

I ****ing hate Myron Mixon.

DJ's left nut 02-01-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9371358)
I once turned an entire brisket - flat and point - into a massive pile of burnt ends. It was delicious.

Pretty sure I took a couple years of my life off, but those are the crappy years anyway.

How'd you manage that? I've never even attempted to make burnt ends from the flat because I never figured there'd be enough fat in there to really crisp them up.

I'll smoke a brisket, pull it when it's done, cut off the point, smoke it for another hour, chop it, put it back over a higher heat for another hour, then call it. I figured that would dry the hell out of the flat.

tooge 02-01-2013 11:47 PM

Run it heavily in equal parts salt, pepper, garlic powder. Gring up a few tablespoons of rosemary and put it in the rub. Smoke it, fat side up till it hits a 175 degrees. Pull it off and separate the flat. Foill both and take it to 197. It'll be like butta. Let it rest 15 minutes. Slice the flat and make the point into burnt ends

CoMoChief 02-01-2013 11:54 PM

Sorry, but I don't share this kind of information.

DJ's left nut 02-01-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9371939)

**** you, Myron.

Phobia 02-02-2013 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9371939)

Right. I'll bet you don't even know how to light charcoal without a liter of chemicals.

Fire Me Boy! 02-02-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9371927)
How'd you manage that? I've never even attempted to make burnt ends from the flat because I never figured there'd be enough fat in there to really crisp them up.

I'll smoke a brisket, pull it when it's done, cut off the point, smoke it for another hour, chop it, put it back over a higher heat for another hour, then call it. I figured that would dry the hell out of the flat.

Keep as much of the fat cap as you can. Do it like you suggest, but at the point where you're chopping it, chop it all up and mix it together.

Not the best burnt ends I've made, but it was still pretty damn good.

2bikemike 02-02-2013 09:46 AM

I was flipping channels the other night and I saw the tail end of a BBQ show where they made burnt ends in longer strips wrapped in bacon. The host was going on and on about how good they were. Not sure how they made them but it was a very interesting concept.

candyman 02-02-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bikemike (Post 9372240)
I was flipping channels the other night and I saw the tail end of a BBQ show where they made burnt ends in longer strips wrapped in bacon. The host was going on and on about how good they were. Not sure how they made them but it was a very interesting concept.

Sounds great...but then bacon makes everything sound great

dtebbe 02-02-2013 10:00 AM

Salt, pepper, smoke, 210 degree heat, 180-190 internal temp, done.

Finding a good piece of meat to begin with is the real challenge IMHO.

DT

BigMeatballDave 02-02-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bikemike (Post 9372240)

I saw that.

Fap.

dtebbe 02-02-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9371420)

Those guys love themselves and think Tony Romo is the best QB in the league.

They're all on crack and are delusional.

:LOL:

Yeah, those guys are -almost- as bad as Saints fans who insist Bountygate never happened.

DT