ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Your Best Smoked Brisket Recipe (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269592)

Fire Me Boy! 07-01-2016 09:35 AM

Bumping for brisket cookers this weekend.

Looking for a bitchin' brisket rub.

gblowfish 07-01-2016 09:38 AM

I can't go through an entire brisket since its just my wife and me. Too much meat, too much money.

My sister suggested this: She said she likes to slow smoke a thick cut sirloin steak. She puts it in the smoker frozen, and lets it smoke for about four hours. Then slices it thin. Seems like it would be tough, but she says it turns out perfect. Hmmm....i don't know. I'd want to do one at least not frozen, maybe lather it up with olive oil and some spices. What do you think?

Should I start by testing a $1 Dollar General Steak?

Fire Me Boy! 07-01-2016 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 12297696)
I can't go through an entire brisket since its just my wife and me. Too much meat, too much money.

Just me and my wife; but smoked brisket freezes very well. We'll eat on it for a few days, and then I'll vacuum seal the leftovers and freeze it.

Quote:

My sister suggested this: She said she likes to slow smoke a thick cut sirloin steak. She puts it in the smoker frozen, and lets it smoke for about four hours. Then slices it thin. Seems like it would be tough, but she says it turns out perfect. Hmmm....i don't know. I'd want to do one at least not frozen, maybe lather it up with olive oil and some spices. What do you think?

It would work. ATK just did a test of cooking straight from freezer to stovetop. They said it takes a little more time, but it works very well. I can't see how it would be that much different on a smoker.

Fire Me Boy! 07-01-2016 09:42 AM

Quote:

Dollar TREE.

DJ's left nut 07-01-2016 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12297690)

Try simple Black Pepper and Salt. Maybe a bit of paprika for color and garlic powder if you insist.

Simple is better with brisket, IMO. Santa Maria style beef is the only way to go.

I've taken my standard rub out of the rotation on briskets - it's a pork only device now. The basics have served me well.

srvy 07-01-2016 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12297690)

Salt and pepper. I have never really seen the need for a rub on brisket I just salt and liberally shake a coating of pepper and it comes out fine. Nothing wrong with a rub I just have found its a necessary step and watched many competition bbq'ers do the salt and pepper rub.

Fire Me Boy! 07-01-2016 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12297706)
Try simple Black Pepper and Salt. Maybe a bit of paprika for color and garlic powder if you insist.

Simple is better with brisket, IMO. Santa Maria style beef is the only way to go.

I've taken my standard rub out of the rotation on briskets - it's a pork only device now. The basics have served me well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 12297710)
Salt and pepper. I have never really seen the need for a rub on brisket I just salt and liberally shake a coating of pepper and it comes out fine. Nothing wrong with a rub I just have found its a necessary step and watched many competition bbq'ers do the salt and pepper rub.

I've seen this several times, too, but never done it. Is there a standard ratio for this method? I'm opening to trying it.

srvy 07-01-2016 09:50 AM

Quote:

Yep same I just smoke and then cut off the points for burnt ends those are mine all mine. Then slice rest and take to Mom, Sister and brother and save a little for me. Brisket is a cut that skyrocketed over last 10 years I miss the days of 79 cents a pound Brisket.

Fire Me Boy! 07-01-2016 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 12297722)
Brisket is a cut that skyrocketed over last 10 years I miss the days of 79 cents a pound Brisket.

Boo-****ing-hoo. I got this one at Costco for $6/lb, and that was a goddamn steal around here.

srvy 07-01-2016 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12297725)
Boo-****ing-hoo. I got this one at Costco for $6/lb, and that was a goddamn steal around here.

Wow Sams usually has sales on packers at 2.79 a lb a non sale is about 4.50 lb.

DJ's left nut 07-01-2016 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12297714)
I've seen this several times, too, but never done it. Is there a standard ratio for this method? I'm opening to trying it.

Not in my experience; to taste?

I think a lot of people go 1-1 but I go heavier on pepper.

Maybe 1 part salt, 1 part garlic powder, 1.5-2 parts pepper?

Fire Me Boy! 07-01-2016 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 12297728)
Wow Sams usually has sales on packers at 2.79 a lb a non sale is about 4.50 lb.

Yeah, that's in the Midwest, I presume.

I'm in the South. I can get pork here under $2/lb., but if I can even find a brisket, it's only the flat (I can't even ORDER a butcher pack), and they're always north of $7/lb, occasionally more than $8/lb. Costco is the only place I've found them under $7.

Fire Me Boy! 07-01-2016 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12297729)
Not in my experience; to taste?

I think a lot of people go 1-1 but I go heavier on pepper.

Maybe 1 part salt, 1 part garlic powder, 1.5-2 parts pepper?

Google is showing me typically 1:1 on salt/pepper... I'll trust my gut and just season it so it looks right. :D

srvy 07-01-2016 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12297714)

Not really I just salt pat then make a pretty good covering of pepper a good coating that covers meat. I buy bulk pepper at Sams. I dont have a photo of one peppered up this guys method is about how I do it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/20m-Ud7LAUs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DJ's left nut 07-01-2016 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12297736)
Google is showing me typically 1:1 on salt/pepper... I'll trust my gut and just season it so it looks right. :D

The gut's always the way to go.

As I've said before - anyone that says they've unlocked the holy grail of barbecue is full of shit. At best, we're all just providing other folks with recommendations that they should tailor to what they like.

I'd just point out that most of what you're seeing online is probably for a grill rub and I think that has a tendency to scorch off a little more salt than a slow smoke does. So if you're using a Santa Maria grill rub on a smoke, I think you'll get just a little more salt flavor than you want with those grill ratios.

Just a thought. Your mileage may vary.