ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV How is Spartacus S3? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269775)

Ragged Robin 03-26-2014 07:33 PM

Season 2 (the prequel being Season 0 in my mind) was crap. Season 3 was really good though after it gets rolling (starts off slow/blah). Liam McIntyre did a good job taking over for Whitfield, though the change + the bad script for Season 2 made it hard to swallow. He shines in the last season though.

Valiant 03-26-2014 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 10519297)
I finally finished this series. I enjoyed the final 2 seasons a lot. I really missed Whitfield, but obviously there wasn't a whole lot they could do about that. The replacement guy was ok. I actually liked him a whole lot better than the replacement actress for Naevia. Good god I disliked her, and I disliked the direction they took the character.

I also hated the inclusion of Julius Caesar and the scene where....you know. It was just pointless for shock value. I thought I'd dislike the final 2 seasons without either John Hannah or Andy Whitfield, but luckily there was still Crixus and Gannicus. I ended up caring more about Gannicus than Spartacus towards the end.

Season 1, Whitfield was perfect. Sad also he died. Great throughout.

Season 0, I thought it gave great backstory. Introduced Gannicus whom came on more in the later seasons. Also Ashur and Oenomaus got more face time.

Season 2, started out very bad, kept getting better except for one bitch. Crixus dumb woman. By the end the guy playing Sparticus finally got in shape for the role.

Season 3, good, nothing great. Everyone knew how it was going to end. Just seeing how they would do it.

If they ever put all of them together for a bluray box set I will buy it.

It is a show for all man's man.

Ragged Robin 03-26-2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 10519471)
Season 3, good, nothing great. Everyone knew how it was going to end. Just seeing how they would do it.

That's what made it so great. They played with the audience based on our preexisting knowledge on the mythos--the Crixus/Spartacus initial split being a ruse, "victory," etc. I came in thinking that it was going to end in tragedy because we all know the rebellion fails but how they presented it was from another perspective that I didn't really consider--they did exactly what they set out to do, died as free men and accepting the consequences of their own actions. ie Even if they didn't really stand a chance splitting up, Spartacus had to let Crixus go because that's the reason why they're fighting in the first place, to have the freedom to make their own choices. Spartacus realises that he's not a god or a savior or a dictator, just an idealist. It sounds pretty simple but it was perfectly executed (although I didn't like the whole Gannicus thing at the end..)

Buehler445 03-26-2014 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 10519297)
I finally finished this series. I enjoyed the final 2 seasons a lot. I really missed Whitfield, but obviously there wasn't a whole lot they could do about that. The replacement guy was ok. I actually liked him a whole lot better than the replacement actress for Naevia. Good god I disliked her, and I disliked the direction they took the character.

I also hated the inclusion of Julius Caesar and the scene where....you know. It was just pointless for shock value. I thought I'd dislike the final 2 seasons without either John Hannah or Andy Whitfield, but luckily there was still Crixus and Gannicus. I ended up caring more about Gannicus than Spartacus towards the end.

Agree on Naevia. She was terribad. Really really distracted from a great series.