ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Football experts: Making the switch from left to right tackle (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270857)

Hootie 03-08-2013 01:48 AM

if it is as difficult as switching from your left hand to J off to your right hand then count me out, I can't blame Albert...that would ****ing suck

Sorter 03-08-2013 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 9476095)
I don't have a problem with him demanding respect from the fans for being a legit LT. He is and he deserves the respect. Getting his feelings hurt because a bunch of, mostly, casual fans suggest he move to RT is weak.

That said... if Coach Reid tells him he is gonna play RT, he can either chose to not sign the tender and take his chances or be a team player and do his job. It read as if had he been told to play RT, would would have told the team to get bent.

He had several tweets and re-tweets on the subject. Some in conversation with his followers and a bunch of retweets from people saying that moving him would be stupid.

If that's the case, then I'm torn. On one hand, I want the guy to suck it up and be a team player and play RT. On the other, who the **** am I to try and tell someone what's in their best interest as far as long term financial security goes or try to know Albert's personal goals are. Additionally, Albert could be like "Oh, you guys want me to play RT for a team that isn't going to the SB? I'll try my chances elsewhere" and then takes less (or more, I guess) money to play LT for a team that has a legitimate chance of deep postseason success, such as NO, GB, Pitt, Atlanta, etc.

mikey23545 03-08-2013 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 9475911)
I would. Not because of 10m but because there are 52 other guys on my team counting on me, as the best Tackle currently on the roster, to get out there and do my thing. TEAM.

That said, moving to RT for a season would NOT hinder Albert's ability to grow or get paid in the future as shown by the only other LT to RT conversion I can think of in recent memory (Tait). Every single GM out there knows that #76 is a LT. It shows he is a leader and does what is required when the team is in a jam. If I am a GM, that is a quality I would look for and pay for.

Me? If I were employed by a company who only hired 52 other guys and was asked to move... I sure as shit wouldn't have a period on social media then get pissy when I don't get support from others for doing so. I would try to act like a ****ing professional and take it up with the people who actually have a say instead of looking for affirmation from the god damned internet.

To be perfectly honest... had he not had his bitch fit on Twitter I would likely be in his corner.

Dude, have you looked around at the world lately?

Thinking like that disappeared nearly half a century ago.

AdumbGuy 03-08-2013 03:05 AM

It could also be a respect thing.

FO: Mr. Albert, you're one of the best LTs in the game. We need you to move to RT.
Albert: Why is that necessary? Am I being replaced by somebody better?
FO: No, you're being replaced with an unproven rookie at the most important position on the line.
Albert: Why?
FO: **** you!

jspchief 03-08-2013 04:18 AM

Don't a lot of rookie tackles begin on the right side, even when the intent is for them to become the LT? I'm sure there are some difficulties involved, but I doubt it's the stuff that makes or breaks a career.

As for Albert not wanting to play the right side, I don't blame him one bit. We're not talking about shifting the line around to cover injuries here. It's a bunch of stupid ****ing fans and media trying to prognosticate the draft, throwing out scenarios. The same type of people that regularly suggest that Albert is a guard.

mdchiefsfan 03-08-2013 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9474737)
wtf is wrong with you. if a player is good at LT and is moved to RT due to circumstance/needs and then hits the FA, other teams are going to know his history. those that aren't picked up and moved to LT again aren't good. JFC it's pro sports not high school.

They still have an advantage over him saying, "Well, two years ago you played LT well. I don't know if you're still a top 10 LT in the league since you played RT last year."

That will cost him money.

patteeu 03-08-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma (Post 9475873)
Of course they can switch. The question is, what is most effective for the team (Albert won't be as polished at RT) and the player (Albert will likely take a hit in FA based on position or ineffective play from frequent switching)?

I don't think you guys realize how important footwork is for a tackle. It takes most guys years to refine it to the finished product. If you want him to play at a high level, leave him at LT.

For comparison, try fapping with your left hand.

I disagree. With an offseason of practice, Branden Albert should be able to do just fine at RT. And no, he wouldn't take a hit in FA based on the switch. We're not talking about frequent switching here.

And just to be clear, I'm not advocating a switch for Albert.

patteeu 03-08-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma (Post 9475894)
It's relative. Answer my question I posed to you earlier. Would you do it?

My guess is no.

(And don't give me the "Yeah, I would do it if I were making 10 million dollars" schtick, because we both know being a very good player in a league where only .00002% of the population can hack it means he's earned his check.)

I don't know why you're excusing the "I won't do it" attitude from a player. Sure it's an understandable sentiment, but players don't get to make these decisions. If a player gets beat out by a better player, he might not want to watch the game from the sidelines but he doesn't have a choice. This is the same situation except instead of going to the sidelines, the demoted player would be switching to a different position where they can still contribute. If the coaches decide that that's what's best for the team, Albert needs to swallow his pride and soldier on.

pr_capone 03-08-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 9476141)
Dude, have you looked around at the world lately?

Thinking like that disappeared nearly half a century ago.

It isn't common anymore but they surely haven't disappeared.

Chipper Jones moved to LF for the 2002 & 2003 seasons after playing his entire MLB career (originally a SS) at 3B.

Cal Ripken moved from SS to 3rd.

Bruce Matthews played all positions on the offensive line and made the Pro Bowl as a Guard and Center.

/off the top of my head