ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Flacco - Franchise QB? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268815)

lcarus 02-04-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9376727)
Suck my BALLS. Everyone.

I've been sucking Joe's for three seasons.

Same. Well not sucking his balls, but I defended him against people that said he sucked.

Easy 6 02-04-2013 09:45 AM

He totally changed my tune in this last month, dude is legit.

Just reaffirms my preference for big, physical pocket passers... he made several throws under very heavy pressure, thats what those kinds of QB's can give you.

Pin Head 02-04-2013 09:46 AM

The elite QB's were at home sitting on their asses watching Flacco and the Ravens win a Superbowl.

Rain Man 02-04-2013 10:51 AM

Based on this year, he's pretty darn good quarterback, but more along the lines of a Ken Stabler or Bert Jones. Good, and obviously good enough, but not a franchise quarterback. He doesn't even hold sway over a linebacker on the team.

Rausch 02-04-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narrow Head (Post 9377254)
The elite QB's were at home sitting on their asses watching Flacco and the Ravens win a Superbowl.

If you list Eli as elite you have to list Flacco...

DJ's left nut 02-04-2013 11:01 AM

He's very much like Eli Manning.

He's fairly erratic and not always terribly accurate. That said, he's not scared to unleash the ball downfield and he doesn't spook easily.

Both the Ravens and Giants have done a good job of dealing with his occasional accuracy issues by hiding them behind a deep passing game. He's become a high risk/high reward, downfield passer and I think that's just a brilliant way to use a guy like that.

It's really what the Bucs should be doing with Josh Freeman and if the Jets had any weapons, they should at least try it with Sanchez. The guys with middling accuracy just cannot run a short passing game.

He's not a true 'franchise' QB in the sense that I don't think he's just going to go all Brady or Rodgers and make his entire team better - there are much much fewer of those in this league than most will admit. That said, I'd take him as my QB any day because he is absolutely a guy that can win for you (obviously) if put in the right situation.

EDIT: What Rausch said. They're the same guy.

Deberg_1990 02-04-2013 11:10 AM

If we are not already there, we are very near a point where the NFL regular season doesnt matter as much anymore.

Ravens were the 4th seed this year, Giants 4th seed last year, Packers 6th seed before that. Its become all about getting on a hot streak at the right time, and guys like Eli and Flacco tend to be very streaky.

Who cares if you lose a few games in Sept or October??

Pin Head 02-04-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9377455)
He's very much like Eli Manning.

He's fairly erratic and not always terribly accurate. That said, he's not scared to unleash the ball downfield and he doesn't spook easily.

Both the Ravens and Giants have done a good job of dealing with his occasional accuracy issues by hiding them behind a deep passing game. He's become a high risk/high reward, downfield passer and I think that's just a brilliant way to use a guy like that.

It's really what the Bucs should be doing with Josh Freeman and if the Jets had any weapons, they should at least try it with Sanchez. The guys with middling accuracy just cannot run a short passing game.

He's not a true 'franchise' QB in the sense that I don't think he's just going to go all Brady or Rodgers and make his entire team better - there are much much fewer of those in this league than most will admit. That said, I'd take him as my QB any day because he is absolutely a guy that can win for you (obviously) if put in the right situation.

EDIT: What Rausch said. They're the same guy.

I think that Joe Flacco posses the skill-set necessary to be a franchise guy. I also think that he is often unfairly criticized. He didn't like that criticism much and stepped up...he responded, with a Superbowl win. He's a franchise man, in my opinion.

DJ's left nut 02-04-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narrow Head (Post 9377680)
I think that Joe Flacco posses the skill-set necessary to be a franchise guy. I also think that he is often unfairly criticized. He didn't like that criticism much and stepped up...he responded, with a Superbowl win. He's a franchise man, in my opinion.

If you take an 8-8 team and put him at the helm, are they a SB winner? Can he make a 6-10 team a playoff team?

That's how I view a 'franchise' QB - a force multiplier that makes everyone else on his team better.

Flacco doesn't do that, IMO. He's not an accurate enough passer for long enough stretches for that. Brady, Brees, Rodgers and Peyton are guys that can throw 50 footballs and hit their target 48 times. They're smart decisionmakers that can run any offense they're given.

Flacco's not that level of guy. He's a very good quarterback and someone I would gladly have lead my team, but he's not to the level of the truly stellar, IMO.

O.city 02-04-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9377796)
If you take an 8-8 team and put him at the helm, are they a SB winner? Can he make a 6-10 team a playoff team?

That's how I view a 'franchise' QB - a force multiplier that makes everyone else on his team better.

Flacco doesn't do that, IMO. He's not an accurate enough passer for long enough stretches for that. Brady, Brees, Rodgers and Peyton are guys that can throw 50 footballs and hit their target 48 times. They're smart decisionmakers that can run any offense they're given.

Flacco's not that level of guy. He's a very good quarterback and someone I would gladly have lead my team, but he's not to the level of the truly stellar, IMO.

This is true, but I'm actually starting to think thats about the level you need. Franchise QB doesnt' always equal elite Qb.

Brady Brees P. Manning (?) Rodgers are the only really elite guys in the league, then there is a whole other tier of guys. I'll take a guy in that second tear in a second.

You also dont know but that said second tier guy can't grow into the first tier.

BossChief 02-04-2013 01:48 PM

Joe Flacco went to a 5-11 team and led them to a 11-5 record as a rookie...5 years later won the Super Bowl and was the game MVP.

Since he took over, he has the most wins (both regular and post season) of any NFL quarterback.

I'd say he's a franchiseqb.

Without question.

O.city 02-04-2013 01:50 PM

Franchise QB. Yeah, for sure.

Elite QB? I have a hard time saying yes on that one.

unlurking 02-04-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9377819)
Joe Flacco went to a 5-11 team and led them to a 11-5 record as a rookie...5 years later won the Super Bowl and was the game MVP.

Since he took over, he has the most wins (both regular and post season) of any NFL quarterback.

I'd say he's a franchiseqb.

Without question.

Without a ****ing doubt. I think people are just quibbling about elite vs franchise at this point.

RyFo18 02-04-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 9377847)
Without a ****ing doubt. I think people are just quibbling about elite vs franchise at this point.

Semantics

unlurking 02-04-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyFo18 (Post 9377901)
Semantics

Either way, he's a guy you can build a team around. Which was the definition of franchise QB when I was growing up, not whether or not he could carry a shitty franchise by himself.