ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs PFF sunders Cassel (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263875)

Hammock Parties 09-17-2012 11:44 PM

PFF sunders Cassel

:hail:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...-bills-week-2/
Quote:

Kansas City – Three Performances of Note

Feeling the Heat

The one thing that stands out most about Matt Cassel’s display (a performance whose numbers were padded by some late garbage time yards and touchdowns) was just how poor he was when pressured. On his 15 drop-backs under duress he was sacked five times, ran once, and otherwise completed only two of nine passes. While he came out with a marginal -0.8 grade, his work under pressure netted him a -3.7 against +2.0 when given time. Worse, when blitzed, he completed only one 6-yard pass. This is a veteran NFL quarterback but those numbers are more reminiscent of a rookie, and a poor one at that.

As You Were?

One of the bright spots of the 2010 NFL year for the Chiefs was the play of then rookie, Tony Moeaki (-2.2). Not only did his pass catching skills look the part but it appeared he may be one of those rarest of things; a receiving tight end who could block. When injury took away the whole of his 2011 season, it was a blow to fans — not just of the Chiefs, but of the game itself.

He’s back but not, so far, as we remember him. Despite being in pass routes for 46 plays he caught only one ball; a 9-yarder against the Bills’ second string with 2:11 left in the game. Add to this some sub-optimal pass and run blocking and things need to improve quickly. The way Mark Anderson threw him aside to tackle Peyton Hillis with 3:45 left in the third was an indication of his fall.

Secret Superstar

If there was one player on the Chiefs who stood out as playing well it was Justin Houston (+2.2). While as a pass rusher his single hit and hurry may be considered below average against a normal offense, going against the Bills, who get rid of the ball so quickly, it was certainly creditable and made up half the total pressure the Chiefs achieved as a team. However, it was in run defense he really shone and his change of direction and ability to get to the sideline quickly were shown time and again. Although not a run, watch the way he tracks down the lightning-fast C.J. Spiller on a flare with 9:42 left in the second.

Buffalo – Three Performances of Note

Taking the Strain

While he got the win, this was hardly Ryan Fitzpatrick’s finest hour (+0.7) and he had much to thank his new starting halfback, C.J. Spiller (+2.8) for. Averaging 8.2 yards a carry (with 78 after contact), this was a superb display, particularly as he also generated 47 yards on receptions. The fact that 52 of these came after the catch shows that they were really just elongated handoffs.

He’s not being asked to stay in to pass block much (a real strength of the injured Fred Jackson) but he did a good job in that regard last year so it appears for the time being at least, the Bills will not miss their Week 1 starter too much.

Maturing Nicely

We could talk about how well defensive tackle Kyle Williams (+4.4) played, but we’ll save that for our game ball shall we? Instead let’s talk about someone that got lit up like the proverbial Christmas tree last week and did rather better here. Rookie Stephon Gilmore played almost exclusively at right corner and gave up only five receptions on 11 targets. The fact that the biggest of those catches, the 26-yarder to Jonathan Baldwin, came well into garbage time shouldn’t be ignored. What was especially pleasing was of the three balls thrown to Dwayne Bowe he gave up none.

There were the two penalties — the hold on Steve Breaston and the stupid twelve men affair — but this was a markedly better showing and one much more befitting his high draft status.

Covering Thing Up

While the RCB spot is looking close to be locked up for some time, the LCB position is in flux. The Bills rotated both Aaron Williams (45 snaps at LCB) and Terrence McGee (22) and neither played well. Between them they gave up receptions on nine of 14 targets for 108 yards and two touchdowns and a cumulative coverage grade of -2.4 including missing three tackles.

They will play far better quarterbacks than Matt Cassel soon and, if the Bills have playoff aspirations, this is an area of concern.

Game Notes

- For the Chiefs, WR Steve Beaston’s salary cap number in 2012 is $4.5M. He ran 29 pass routes and was only targeted once; courtesy of being the closest Chief to the Hail Mary at the end of the game.

- Before leaving the game with an injury, Bill’s rookie LT Cordy Glenn had only given up a single hurry despite playing against Tamba Hali for a large proportion of snaps.

- On 15 running plays, Nick Barnett made three tackles all of which were stops for a Run Stop Percentage of 20%.

Game Ball

I know I blew it earlier but even people who didn’t watch the game probably know that Bills DT Kyle Williams was once again the best player on the field. Two sacks, two hurries, and a controlled performance against the run gives him this game ball by some margin.

The Bad Guy 09-17-2012 11:48 PM

I really, really wonder what the **** they watch at Arrowhead to keep trotting Cassel out there.

KC native 09-17-2012 11:49 PM

Teams are going to blitz the shit out of us until Mark makes them pay for it.

Hammock Parties 09-17-2012 11:50 PM

The Breaston thing is some bullshit.

Some bullshit.

Hammock Parties 09-17-2012 11:52 PM

Just looking at the PFF game stats now.

Abram Elam gave up 4 catches for 77 yards.

Nice pickup Scott.

BossChief 09-17-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 8923820)
Teams are going to blitz the shit out of us until Mark makes them pay for it.

Haha

Makes em pay for it.

Thinking that's gonna happen is like believing in the Easter bunny or the tooth fairy.

Game 6 or the whole regime can GTFO.

L.A. Chieffan 09-17-2012 11:54 PM

Cassell was facing extreme pressure. QBs get sacked when they don't have enough time. Cassell looked really good when he wasn't getting DDTed to the ground.

BossChief 09-17-2012 11:54 PM

Clay, clear some PMs.

pr_capone 09-17-2012 11:54 PM

I know that the only reason I will continue going to Chiefs games this season, other than the fact that I cannot return the tickets, is for the sheer hope that I get to watch Kasl have a CEI live.

KC native 09-17-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 8923830)
Haha

Makes em pay for it.

Thinking that's gonna happen is like believing in the Easter bunny or the tooth fairy.

Game 6 or the whole regime can GTFO.

I didn't say I thought it would happen. I just said what would happen. Mark gets benched by the bye week IMO.

KC native 09-17-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 8923831)
Cassell was facing extreme pressure. QBs get sacked when they don't have enough time. Cassell looked really good when he wasn't getting DDTed to the ground.

I thought your trolling schtick was amusing at first. It's getting a little tired now.

Rain Man 09-17-2012 11:57 PM

Kyle Williams was indeed the Godzilla to our Tokyo.

L.A. Chieffan 09-17-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 8923844)
I thought your trolling schtick was amusing at first. It's getting a little tired now.

Am I wrong?

KC native 09-17-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 8923852)
Am I wrong?

Have you ever gone so far as to?

Titty Meat 09-18-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 8923819)
I really, really wonder what the **** they watch at Arrowhead to keep trotting Cassel out there.

Their ego.