ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football NFL's salary cap now projected to be about $130 million (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281594)

ShowtimeSBMVP 02-20-2014 08:02 AM

NFL's salary cap now projected to be about $133 million

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: Cap will be $133 million per team <a href="http://t.co/u2GSiIHKAc">http://t.co/u2GSiIHKAc</a></p>&mdash; ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) <a href="https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/statuses/439190619911507968">February 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Snapplez 02-20-2014 08:03 AM

How much cap would we have if it does go to 130m?

beach tribe 02-20-2014 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapplez (Post 10442873)

Rough est. without looking 9m??

ShowtimeSBMVP 02-20-2014 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapplez (Post 10442873)

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Chiefs&Year=2014

Got us at 122m. So around 8m.

O.city 02-20-2014 08:10 AM

We also are rolling over 2 million from last year, dunno if that's there or not

ShowtimeSBMVP 02-20-2014 10:59 AM

Chiefs will have $6.62 million of cap space

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/20...#storylink=cpy

Direckshun 02-20-2014 11:18 AM

This should be enough, combined with a Berry extension, to get us Alex Smith extended and Schwartz brought back.

At this point, I'd consider it an upset to keep our current roster in tact and bringing back any of the following players: Albert, Asamoah, McCluster, Jackson, and Abdullah.

We'll have to build through the draft, and hope Kelce and Commings come back better than ever.

The good news, as I've said before, is that that would likely net us 5 compensatory picks in 2015, giving us 12 total picks in that draft.

Direckshun 02-20-2014 11:26 AM

Then, looking ahead, the Chiefs possibly cut Hali, Flowers, Sean Smith, and Avery in 2015.

That would open up about $25m by itself. That would allow us to extend Houston pretty easily.

That does mean that, as many of my mocks have suggested, that drafting a passrusher like Dee Ford in the 1st and a corner like E.J. Gaines or Pierre Desir might be necessary this year, to protect us from losing that much talent. We could be trotting out two brand new starters at corner.

TEX 02-20-2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10443199)
This should be enough, combined with a Berry extension, to get us Alex Smith extended and Schwartz brought back.

At this point, I'd consider it an upset to keep our current roster in tact and bringing back any of the following players: Albert, Asamoah, McCluster, Jackson, and Abdullah.

We'll have to build through the draft, and hope Kelce and Commings come back better than ever.

The good news, as I've said before, is that that would likely net us 5 compensatory picks in 2015, giving us 12 total picks in that draft.

I'm with you with all of it except Dex. I want him back. I think the dude brings something to the roster.

Rausch 02-20-2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 10443217)
I'm with you with all of it except Dex. I want him back. I think the dude brings something to the roster.

He appears to have hit that "Dante moment" when he finally has his groove returning.

In the passing game he's still an undersized HB trying to play WR...

Mr. Laz 02-20-2014 12:09 PM

Has the NFLPA decided whether or not to use their 2 million dollar salary cap increase option?

Rausch 02-20-2014 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10443270)
Has the NFLPA decided whether or not to use their 2 million dollar salary cap increase option?

Don't know.

When's the deadline to...

...you know, I just don't ****ing care. There was once a time under the old CBA that you could actually read it in less time than the Obamacare bill and actually understand it without a lawyer (even though I use to bug a buddy do do just that.)

Now you have to take contracts, overlay the new (ever changing) CBA rules on top, and then guesstimate how it impacts a new contract because the Chiefs are bad about making terms public...

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-20-2014 12:47 PM

How can Kelce and Commings come back better than ever when they've never been here?

Rausch 02-20-2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10443343)
How can Kelce and Commings come back better than ever when they've never been here?

If they come back at all they're better than ever...:homer:

TimBone 02-20-2014 01:31 PM

BossChief called this a while back.

TEX 02-20-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10443233)
He appears to have hit that "Dante moment" when he finally has his groove returning.

In the passing game he's still an undersized HB trying to play WR...

True, but if used properly - and this year they started to do that, he got it done more times than not. Dude had 500+ receiving yards. I just think he affords the Chiefs a lot of options. IF he doesn't want to break the bank, there's no reason why the Chiefs shouldn't want to re-sign him and give him a nice raise in the process. I think he's a good, young ascending player who is a game-changer on special teams.

milkman 02-20-2014 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 10443719)
True, but if used properly - and this year they started to do that, he got it done more times than not. Dude had 500+ receiving yards. I just think he affords the Chiefs a lot of options. IF he doesn't want to break the bank, there's no reason why the Chiefs shouldn't want to re-sign him and give him a nice raise in the process. I think he's a good, young ascending player who is a game-changer on special teams.

I'll never understand why anyone thinks McCluster is anything more than JAG.

He's had one good return where he did something other than run in open field created by the blocking.

saphojunkie 02-20-2014 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10443731)

He's had one good return where he did something other than run in open field created by the blocking.

Which, so far, has been fine. But having to actually pay him doesn't work for me. I'd rather spend the same money and have a playmaker on offense rather than special teams.

Discuss Thrower 02-20-2014 04:14 PM

Sooo that means KC will get Ervin right?

SAUTO 02-20-2014 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flybone McTimmerson (Post 10443457)
BossChief called this a while back.

yes he did.

ShowtimeSBMVP 02-20-2014 04:38 PM

It only went up because of the new Thursday night package.

SAUTO 02-20-2014 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 10443773)

link?

ShowtimeSBMVP 02-20-2014 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 10443776)
link?

It was on the Espn insider show.

BlackHelicopters 02-20-2014 05:13 PM

Ervin Santana

stonedstooge 02-20-2014 05:22 PM

Since the NFL is non-profit, they should be forced to open up their books

Mr. Laz 02-20-2014 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonedstooge (Post 10443828)
Since the NFL is non-profit, they should be forced to open up their books

Why would you want to see their books? For what purpose?

trying to get the feds involved so it can get all ****ed up like baseball?

stonedstooge 02-20-2014 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10443857)
Why would you want to see their books? For what purpose?

trying to get the feds involved so it can get all ****ed up like baseball?

How many times has the Hunt clan claimed they didn't have the money? How many threads on here try to guess all the financial numbers?

-King- 02-20-2014 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonedstooge (Post 10443863)
How many times has the Hunt clan claimed they didn't have the money? How many threads on here try to guess all the financial numbers?

:spock: What in 5 ****s are you talking about?

Brock 02-20-2014 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10443199)

at all, you mean?

Direckshun 02-20-2014 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10443343)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 10443908)
at all, you mean?

Er, right.

chiefzilla1501 02-20-2014 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10443731)

Once people get over the fact that he's not Wes Welker, they'd see he's a solid but unspectacular football player.

As both a punt returner and receiver, surprisingly, it's not about being a great open field runner. The guy has guts and terrific hands, and as a punt returner, has really good field awareness. Those things don't earn you top slot receiver money, but it earns you a solid spot on any roster.

milkman 02-20-2014 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10443947)
Once people get over the fact that he's not Wes Welker, they'd see he's a solid but unspectacular football player.

As both a punt returner and receiver, surprisingly, it's not about being a great open field runner. The guy has guts and terrific hands, and as a punt returner, has really good field awareness. Those things don't earn you top slot receiver money, but it earns you a solid spot on any roster.

I don't disagree with any of that.

But don't tell me he is any kind of playmaker, on offense or as a returner.

Urc Burry 02-20-2014 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10444067)

I've never seen a "shifty" guy make fewer people miss. His only good cuts are when defenders are running at him full speed on punt returns

chiefzilla1501 02-20-2014 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urc Burry (Post 10444071)
I've never seen a "shifty" guy make fewer people miss. His only good cuts are when defenders are running at him full speed on punt returns

He's plenty shifty. Better than he gets credit for by critics, but not the Jamaal Charles shifty we thought we'd get. Bigger problem is he doesn't have breakaway speed and can't break tackles.

If we stop trying to make him Wes Welker, we'd see that he's shifty enough and has terrific hands. He isn't going to hit us home runs, but he's surprisingly a hell of a lot better than I though he'd ever be at getting you singles.

milkman 02-20-2014 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10444080)
He's plenty shifty. Better than he gets credit for by critics, but not the Jamaal Charles shifty we thought we'd get. Bigger problem is he doesn't have breakaway speed and can't break tackles.

If we stop trying to make him Wes Welker, we'd see that he's shifty enough and has terrific hands. He isn't going to hit us home runs, but he's surprisingly a hell of a lot better than I though he'd ever be at getting you singles.

No, he isn't shifty.

He has one freakin' move.

BossChief 02-20-2014 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 10443773)

You told me I didn't know what I was talking about when I said this a month or two ago. One of the reasons I gave was the new tv deals...which will cause the cap to rise SIGNIFICANTLY over the next few years. To say that the cap went up 4 million additional dollars over your projection strictly because of the new Thursday games doesn't even account for 1/4 of the factors involved.

If we extend Berry and restructure Hali, use the 2.5 rollover, the NFLPA utilizes the 2 million and we squeeze a little here and there, we will have closer to 15-20 million in cap space by the time it's all said and done.

I layed out all the math for this a long time ago.

BossChief 02-20-2014 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 10443719)

I've been one of Dexters biggest supporters on this site and would love to have him back, but this is an AMAZING class of available receivers both in free agency and the draft...the depth of available talent at the position this offseason should cause guys like Dexter to get a lot less than he probably thinks he will.

If we can ink the kid for 2-2.5 million per year, I'd bite...otherwise this is a time I'd look for a bargain receiver in free agency and come right back and draft another one in the third or fourth.

That's how to better utilize the limited funds the team has to build the roster.

He runs great routes, has the best hands on the team, Alex Smith trusts him, he is a productive returner and plays an important role on this team, but the probowl appearance probably priced him out of our range.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10444067)

His deep speed prohibits him from being a game breaker, but the guy absolutely made a lot of plays last year.

milkman 02-20-2014 09:33 PM

No, he really didn't.

chiefzilla1501 02-20-2014 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10444193)
No, he isn't shifty.

He has one freakin' move.

These are 4 plays that show what he's capable of. Again, is he playmaker shifty like some commentators say he is? No. But these runs below are exceptional regardless of how good the blocking was.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantas...ter-31-yd-pass

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantas...yd-punt-return

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantas...ster-19-yd-run

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-m...r-making-moves

BossChief 02-20-2014 09:39 PM

When we needed a big first down, Alex trusted Dexter more than anyone else and he delivered and was dependable in not only catching the ball while open or in traffic, but also was trustworthy in his routes and being where he needs to be. That's huge for a quarterback.

When we needed a spark on special teams, he gave us that consistently.

He is a good possession receiver and a talented returner.

Sorry milk and you know how much I respect your opinion on here, but we will never see eye to eye on Dexter.

milkman 02-20-2014 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10444242)
When we needed a big first down, Alex trusted Dexter more than anyone else and he delivered and was dependable in not only catching the ball while open or in traffic, but also was trustworthy in his routes and being where he needs to be. That's huge for a quarterback.

Sorry milk and you know how much I respect your opinion on here, but we will never see eye to eye on Dexter.

Dexter generated fewer than 2 first downs per game.

chiefzilla1501 02-20-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10444227)
No, he really didn't.

He did. Just not the ankle-breaking variety. In the majority of the games toward the end of the season, he had at least one really big play, many on crucial 4th quarter drives.

Three7s 02-20-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10444242)

Neither will we.

Dexter doesn't impress me, period.

chiefzilla1501 02-20-2014 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10444248)
Dexter generated fewer than 2 first downs per game.

In the final drive against Denver game 2, Dexter makes a 28-yard diving reception
Against San Diego, with 1 minute left in the game, McCluster gets an 11-yard gain to set up a 5-yard go-ahead TD to Bowe (I think, from what I remember, he should have made the end zone but for a SD penalty)
In what was pretty much the Chiefs' final drive against Denver, game 1, Dexter makes an outrageously good back shoulder catch for 19 yards
And this isn't even counting the Oakland or Washington game, because they weren't close

He had a really excellent final stretch of the season. He was extremely reliable for the Chiefs not just in the 4th quarter, but on the final drive of the game

ShowtimeSBMVP 02-22-2014 12:12 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>According to a source, the projection for the 2014 salary cap is now at $132 million.</p>&mdash; John Clayton (@ClaytonESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/ClaytonESPN/statuses/437287507110014976">February 22, 2014</a></blockquote>

O.city 02-22-2014 12:15 PM

Yeah with some restructuring, there's no reason we can't have 12 mil or so to play with.

Hell, Albert can easily be back now if they want

OrtonsPiercedTaint 02-22-2014 12:17 PM

Peyton wants a raise.

Rausch 02-22-2014 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrtonsPiercedTaint (Post 10446751)
Peyton wants a raise.

**** yourself with a rusty salted pipe...

Titty Meat 02-22-2014 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 10446739)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>According to a source, the projection for the 2014 salary cap is now at $132 million.</p>&mdash; John Clayton (@ClaytonESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/ClaytonESPN/statuses/437287507110014976">February 22, 2014</a></blockquote>

**** yeah now we have about 8 mil before Smith redoes his deal?

O.city 02-22-2014 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Hog (Post 10446801)
**** yeah now we have about 8 mil before Smith redoes his deal?

And Berry.

Plus I dunno that our 2 million dollar rollover is accounted in that

Titty Meat 02-22-2014 12:56 PM

12 mil would be enough to get into a bidding war for Byrd :)

O.city 02-22-2014 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Hog (Post 10446815)

@RapSheet: The #Bills still want to do a deal with S Jairus Byrd. If not, I’m told they plan to franchise tag him. Won’t let him get away for nothing

O.city 02-22-2014 12:59 PM

We should be able to open up about 13 or 14 mil.

Definitely enough to sign an upper echelon player or two if they want

BossChief 02-22-2014 01:06 PM

After a rollover and the PA kicking in the 2 million...we should have over 10 million in space BEFORE restructuring Bowe, Berry or Hali.

If they want to push all in (which they should) to make a 3-4 year run, they should restructure all 3 and really bolster this lineup.

They could easily make 20 million in cap space.

The Bad Guy 02-22-2014 01:18 PM

As I said in prior posts, the Chiefs are going to have plenty of cap space to do what they want and to be able to afford the players they have targeted.

I was also told this morning that there's less than a 1% chance that Smith enters this season without a contract extension.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 02-22-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10446756)
**** yourself with a rusty salted pipe...

Am I chumming for gar?

oops

The Bad Guy 02-22-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Hog (Post 10446815)

Honestly, I'd rather sign Clemons from Miami than to overpay for Byrd. Byrd is great, but the Bills are going to make it very difficult to get him away from there.

O.city 02-22-2014 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 10446873)
As I said in prior posts, the Chiefs are going to have plenty of cap space to do what they want and to be able to afford the players they have targeted.

I was also told this morning that there's less than a 1% chance that Smith enters this season without a contract extension.

Any numbers?

Would his extension not open up more money?

O.city 02-22-2014 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 10446878)
Honestly, I'd rather sign Clemons from Miami than to overpay for Byrd. Byrd is great, but the Bills are going to make it very difficult to get him away from there.

@RapSheet: The #Bills still want to do a deal with S Jairus Byrd. If not, I’m told they plan to franchise tag him. Won’t let him get away for nothing

Titty Meat 02-22-2014 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 10446873)

How many big names will we target?

The Bad Guy 02-22-2014 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10446882)
Any numbers?

Would his extension not open up more money?

No numbers. I think they are going to approach an extension with Berry here soon and try to get Hali's number down to create space first.

If they do that and have money to juggle, they may just spread it out evenly. No numbers, but I'd guess he's going to get around 15 mill a year when all is said and done.

The Bad Guy 02-22-2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Hog (Post 10446894)
How many big names will we target?

It just depends on what you consider a big name. Clemons isn't a big name.

I'd say right now 1-2 in free agency and then about 4-5 second and third tier guys.

O.city 02-22-2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 10446899)
It just depends on what you consider a big name. Clemons isn't a big name.

I'd say right now 1-2 in free agency and then about 4-5 second and third tier guys.

Are you just throwing Clemons out there or ?

O.city 02-22-2014 01:27 PM

15 per is pretty solid it seems

BossChief 02-22-2014 01:28 PM

Have they talked to Abdullah about an extension? Schwartz? Asamoah?

Any idea of a few guys they are interested in?

The Bad Guy 02-22-2014 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10446901)
Are you just throwing Clemons out there or ?

I have no info that he's a target. That's just my own preference.

Sorter 02-22-2014 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 10446897)
No numbers. I think they are going to approach an extension with Berry here soon and try to get Hali's number down to create space first.

If they do that and have money to juggle, they may just spread it out evenly. No numbers, but I'd guess he's going to get around 15 mill a year when all is said and done.

Excellent.

The Bad Guy 02-22-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10446903)
Have they talked to Abdullah about an extension? Schwartz? Asamoah?

Any idea of a few guys they are interested in?

Nope. Just asked about AS extension.

I don't think there's a chance Asamoah is back though.

O.city 02-22-2014 01:30 PM

When does fa start?

The Bad Guy 02-22-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10446912)
When does fa start?

March 11.

BossChief 02-22-2014 01:33 PM

If we can re-sign Schwartz, Abdullah and a couple other of our own free agents while upgrading a few other spots and have a good draft, this team is gonna take off next year.

suzzer99 02-22-2014 01:41 PM

If we resign Albert what does that say about Fisher?

Titty Meat 02-22-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 10446940)
If we resign Albert what does that say about Fisher?

Nothing that we didn't already know.

chiefzilla1501 02-22-2014 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 10446897)

Unless we are really set on signing big name free agents, I would rather not restructure Hali's contract. Unless he's some kind of good samaritan and truly agrees to a massive pay cut. We're just setting ourselves up to massively overpay him in his decline years.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 02-22-2014 08:15 PM

from Rotoworld: Doesn't inspire much confidence

ESPN Dolphins blogger James Walker reports that re-signing free agent FS Chris Clemons "isn't a priority."
Clemons started all 16 games last season, finishing with 93 tackles and an interception. The Dolphins are looking to upgrade at safety opposite Reshad Jones, so Clemons will be allowed to test the open market. Clemons figures to be limited to one-year deals in free agency. He turns 29 this offseason.

Source: ESPN.com Feb 22 - 8:03 PM

Titty Meat 02-22-2014 09:12 PM

Does Clemons suck or something?

ShowtimeSBMVP 02-22-2014 10:19 PM

Eric Berry - DB - Chiefs
ESPN Chiefs blogger Adam Teicher considers Eric Berry a candidate for a contract extension.
The Chiefs are facing cap issues and could look to reduce Berry's $8.42 million base salary by extending him to a long-term deal. Berry graded out as the No. 3 safety by Pro Football Focus last year and is signed through the 2015 season.

ShowtimeSBMVP 02-22-2014 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 10446878)

Chris Clemons - DB - Dolphins
ESPN Dolphins blogger James Walker reports that re-signing free agent FS Chris Clemons "isn't a priority."
Clemons started all 16 games last season, finishing with 93 tackles and an interception. The Dolphins are looking to upgrade at safety opposite Reshad Jones, so Clemons will be allowed to test the open market. Clemons figures to be limited to one-year deals in free agency. He turns 29 this offseason.

J Diddy 02-22-2014 10:28 PM

We don't need the best fs in the game, just a competent one. One that can help over the top and is in position. Despite everyone's beliefs here, I believe we have a solid if not spectacular core group of corners. I think a competent fs would make them look fantastic (albeit a stud would make them look all world)

Mother****erJones 02-23-2014 01:31 AM

I'm expecting an extension for Smith and Berry. Then maybe a restructure of Hali.

I'm hoping we sign a WR, FS or maybe the center Mack from Cleveland. But well see in a couple weeks after the tag deadline what the free agents are.