ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics The Android Tablet Watch Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=243749)

WoodDraw 12-01-2011 06:30 PM

A lot of reviews out for the Transformer Prime, so check your favorite gadget site. The general consensus seems to be:

Pros: Hardware
Cons: Honeycomb still buggy, poor tablet app support.

Fairly predictable. I'm not a big app guy. I'd mainly use GMail, the social apps, and obviously the web browser experience is important. I wish we could get some ICS handson videos.

DaFace 12-01-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 8159692)
A lot of reviews out for the Transformer Prime, so check your favorite gadget site. The general consensus seems to be:

Pros: Hardware
Cons: Honeycomb still buggy, poor tablet app support.

Fairly predictable. I'm not a big app guy. I'd mainly use GMail, the social apps, and obviously the web browser experience is important. I wish we could get some ICS handson videos.

No surprises there. Honeycomb's honeycomb no matter what it's running on. Hopefully ICS will fix some of that.

Consistent1 12-01-2011 08:16 PM

I got my $159 Dell Streak from the Best Buy online sale. Haven't gotten to play with it yet, but have got it charged up. Very nicely put together, quality look. I know, I know...bunch of tech snobs on CP, but for that price I'm sure I'll have fun with it. Will post later to see how it runs for me.

DaFace 12-01-2011 08:54 PM

FWIW, Prime release date is December 19th. Who knows where the other dates came from.

Quote:

ASUS announced today that the WiFi-only models will be available through online sellers the week of December 19th, and in retail the week after.

WoodDraw 12-01-2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8159988)
FWIW, Prime release date is December 19th. Who knows where the other dates came from.

I'm a bit worried about backorder... Hope I get mine.

DaFace 12-12-2011 09:47 AM

In case anyone's looking for a cheapo Android tablet still, Woot's got the Vizio VTAB1008 today for $160 refurbished (normally $300 new).

Mojo Rising 12-12-2011 03:20 PM

The V tab has been $189, new, at Costco for about a month.

Ming the Merciless 12-12-2011 03:42 PM

That looks pretty cool...damn...I think I am a hoarder

Buck 12-20-2011 02:09 AM

I was at Best Buy tonight picking up a game pad for my PC when I was standing in line and they had the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab sitting right there. Of course I played with it and fell in love with the ****ing thing.

I was reading some stuff in here.

Is that ASUS Transformer Prime better or what?

AustinChief 12-20-2011 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8222061)
I was at Best Buy tonight picking up a game pad for my PC when I was standing in line and they had the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab sitting right there. Of course I played with it and fell in love with the ****ing thing.

I was reading some stuff in here.

Is that ASUS Transformer Prime better or what?

The Transformer Prime will blow the DOORS off the Galaxy or iPad or any current shipping tablet... it will have a much better OS with ICS and a huge leap in performance with the Tegra 3. Other tablets will catch up of course... but I definitely wouldn't buy a tablet until the next gen (starting with the Prime)

Buck 12-20-2011 02:39 AM

Amazon Warehouse deals has the Galaxy 10.1 for $363. It's used, but you get all the assurances you do when you buy a new item through them, meaning I can return it if something is wrong.

Worth it or no?

Buck 12-21-2011 04:16 PM

Got my Galaxy 10.1, thing is sweet.

DaFace 12-22-2011 01:03 AM

The Prime's available to order on Amazon now, but the expected ship date is 4-7 weeks. :(

Swanman 12-24-2011 10:38 PM

I just got surprised with the Transformer Prime for Christmas from my wife. She ordered the Monday after Thanksgiving from Best Buy and got lucky to get in before everything sold out and it arrived a few short days before Christmas, so she was freaking a bit.

I haven't played with it much, but so far it's really awesome. It has an extremely sturdy build with the gorilla glass (same as used on phones like the Evo). I have an Archos 101 and while it was a good tablet for its time, it feels downright flimsy compared with the Prime. I can tell it has a kickass processor because there are no delays at all launching stuff (the Archos would take way too long to boot up). The picture is super crisp and I watched a few minutes of Netflix and it came through in great HD. I am going to load some movies from my laptop onto the Prime soon and see how it does there. I have never used an Ipad, but I have to think this tablet will be a decent competitor.

Dave Lane 12-24-2011 10:44 PM

Can you jailbreak these things?