ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Movies and TV Late night bullshit: DVD commentaries. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274559)

Direckshun 07-15-2013 11:53 PM

Late night bullshit: DVD commentaries.

There are some extremely good commentaries out there. When I'm sitting around online late at night sometimes after coffeeshops have closed, doing reading or work or whatever, I'll have a DVD commentary on in the background. (I enjoy conversation as background noise, and really good DVD commentaries are a perfect replica of that.)

Right now I'm listening to the commentary for The Incredibles. Brad Bird is a great director to listen to, not dry at all, very animated and clearly passionate about his projects. (As opposed to Peter Jackson, whose Lord of the Rings commentaries are packed full of great information but are incredibly, mind-numbingly dull.

Probably the funniest DVD commentary track I've heard is for Anchorman.

The Lord of the Rings commentaries by the on-screen talent is fantastic.

I've always really liked the commentary for Horton Hears A Who!, and the commentaries for "The Office" seasons are always incredible. I love hearing the personalities bounce off each other.

Give me some really good commentaries to listen to. I'm mainly looking for commentaries that are pretty entertaining, in whatever way you deem it to be.

Ming the Merciless 07-16-2013 12:03 AM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ZkO915JKeh...0/relevant.jpg

carry on

Simply Red 07-16-2013 12:05 AM

I don't really recall any. I will take this opportunity to share your thoughts regarding the CD stores no longer being around, you were right - there was a certain mystique with record shopping.

I didn't tell you that the other night & I feel it's critical to the soul - you had to know.

Direckshun 07-16-2013 12:08 AM

We're fortunate enough that there's a CD store here in Springfield that's still hanging on for dear life. I don't know for how much longer. It's expanded its DVD section so perhaps it has a chance.

But yeah, there's a certain mystique to literal crate-digging. I know people can still do the same thing on Spotify and whatever, but the electronic element takes away some of the risk-reward to it -- I don't know if that makes sense.

Ming the Merciless 07-16-2013 12:11 AM

We are lucky here in my town, we have one left:

https://www.facebook.com/Lastrecordstore

Direckshun 07-16-2013 12:16 AM

Ha! And it's called "Last Record Store."

That's prescient.

Simply Red 07-16-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9814689)
We're fortunate enough that there's a CD store here in Springfield that's still hanging on for dear life. I don't know for how much longer. It's expanded its DVD section so perhaps it has a chance.

But yeah, there's a certain mystique to literal crate-digging. I know people can still do the same thing on Spotify and whatever, but the electronic element takes away some of the risk-reward to it -- I don't know if that makes sense.

yes - I used to have about a five or six store carousel here in Buckhead, this was when I lived about 28 mis away. Tower Records / Tower Place was included in those excursions all throughout the nineties and a little bit beyond, even. Loved that store.

I could go way back and tell you Camelot Records Independence Center.

Ming the Merciless 07-16-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9814695)

That's prescient.

funny thing is it has been open like 25 years or maybe more!

Simply Red 07-16-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9814695)

That's prescient.

I absolutely love it - I hope the owner wins the powerball for his/her efforts.

Direckshun 07-16-2013 12:21 AM

God, I had a girlfriend many years ago who lived in Chicago.

I was high as a kite when I visited her. We'd hit a few record stores until she got so ****ing bored she demanded we go somewhere else. They'd have these fantastic record stores underneath the sidewalk.

Simply Red 07-16-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9814699)
funny thing is it has been open like 25 years or maybe more!

we have one here like that. I don't go to Decatur as much as i'd like. But yeah - that's where it's at.

I even miss Media Play quite a bit.

Simply Red 07-16-2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9814701)
God, I had a girlfriend many years ago who lived in Chicago.

I was high as a kite when I visited her. We'd hit a few record stores until she got so ****ing bored she demanded we go somewhere else. They'd have these fantastic record stores underneath the sidewalk.

Satellite was like that in Little Five Points. What a vibe.

I feel it. Cool.

Direckshun 07-16-2013 12:24 AM

You'd go into the record store with, like, two or three albums you'd want to hear. After scouring a few crates, you'd find a couple others. Ask the clerk to listen to them and just hope they have a chair you can sit in, as you listen to whatever crap you've selected for like two hours while basically nobody noticed you.

Ah, high school. And I wonder why I didn't have more friends.

Ming the Merciless 07-16-2013 12:25 AM

it used to be the only place to go to get like punk or underground hip hop or old blues etc......

unless you were rocking the Columbia House free scam every 6 months LOL

Direckshun 07-16-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9814705)
it used to be the only place to go to get like punk or underground hip hop or old blues etc......

unless you were rocking the Columbia House free scam every 6 months LOL

Totally did that when I was a freshman in high school. God, I got ****ed badly on it, but I can't tell you how much those early albums shaped everything about what kind of music I liked and how I listened to it.

Beck. Jamiroquai. Collective Soul. Cake. etc.