ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Football experts: Making the switch from left to right tackle (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270857)

tk13 03-07-2013 09:08 PM

Marvin Harrison used to always line up on the right side.

ThaVirus 03-07-2013 09:26 PM

I keep thinking it can't be that tough in my head, but then I think about how horrendous I am at driving to the basket with my left hand as opposed to my right. I guess this is the same concept..

patteeu 03-07-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma (Post 9475320)
Can you blame LTs, especially good ones?

Blame them? No, I don't blame them for wanting to play the more highly respected and more well paid position. But can they switch? Sure they can switch.

patteeu 03-07-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9475427)
I keep thinking it can't be that tough in my head, but then I think about how horrendous I am at driving to the basket with my left hand as opposed to my right. I guess this is the same concept..

If you practiced every day doing nothing but driving to the basket with your left hand, you'd get better at it. But I don't think playing OT is quite as dependent on your strong hand.

Hoover 03-07-2013 09:59 PM

I think it would be harder for Albert, who's played LT for five years now, to adjust, than guys like Stephenson or Allen. They are young and still adapting. Plus both of them would jump at the opportunity to play that position.

kcxiv 03-07-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9474639)
You're a teacher.

You ever given an assignment to some students who openly complained that your totally doable task was, like, totes unreasonable and that Mr. SNR is a big fat pillowbiter who hates you and doesn't value you because he totally doesn't respect the workload he foisted upon you?

That's what your average LT having to switch to RT does.

You'll notice when RTs switch over to LT, they're almost always like "yeah, it's something you have to get used to, but you put in the hours, rely on your coaching and I'm good enough to make this work." Meanwhile LTs are like "god this is impossible -- I've spent all this time on LT and they're throwing it away so I have to learn a whole new position -- you might as well be asking me to learn Japanese, you assholes."

I've no doubt it takes getting used to. But it's probably a respect thing more than it is a technically difficult thing.

Its a money thing. Top right tackles get 4-5 million, top left get 9-10 million. He moves the years after his franchise tag he loses alot of money. He needs to hold firm.

pr_capone 03-07-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9475566)
Its a money thing. Top right tackles get 4-5 million, top left get 9-10 million. He moves the years after his franchise tag he loses alot of money. He needs to hold firm.

Like , as mentioned earlier, John Tait lost a lot of money... right?

-King- 03-07-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 9475581)

So your only example is a player from a decade ago?

pr_capone 03-07-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9475610)
So your only example is a player from a decade ago?

Do starting LT's get moved all that often that there should be a record kept somewhere?

I'm sorry that I am having a difficult time feeling pity for a guy making 10m and throwing a bitch fit about it on Twitter. If he didn't want to feel like KC fans were turning against him... perhaps he should have not made a bunch of pouty posts about the matter online and been just a touch more professional.

Cephalic Trauma 03-07-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9475527)
Blame them? No, I don't blame them for wanting to play the more highly respected and more well paid position. But can they switch? Sure they can switch.

Of course they can switch. The question is, what is most effective for the team (Albert won't be as polished at RT) and the player (Albert will likely take a hit in FA based on position or ineffective play from frequent switching)?

I don't think you guys realize how important footwork is for a tackle. It takes most guys years to refine it to the finished product. If you want him to play at a high level, leave him at LT.

For comparison, try fapping with your left hand.

Cephalic Trauma 03-08-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 9475628)
Do starting LT's get moved all that often that there should be a record kept somewhere?

I'm sorry that I am having a difficult time feeling pity for a guy making 10m and throwing a bitch fit about it on Twitter. If he didn't want to feel like KC fans were turning against him... perhaps he should have not made a bunch of pouty posts about the matter online and been just a touch more professional.

It's relative. Answer my question I posed to you earlier. Would you do it?

My guess is no.

(And don't give me the "Yeah, I would do it if I were making 10 million dollars" schtick, because we both know being a very good player in a league where only .00002% of the population can hack it means he's earned his check.)

pr_capone 03-08-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma (Post 9475894)
It's relative. Answer my question I posed to you earlier. Would you do it?

My guess is no.

(And don't give me the "Yeah, I would do it if I were making 10 million dollars" schtick, because we both know being a very good player in a league where only .00002% of the population can hack it means he's earned his check.)

I would. Not because of 10m but because there are 52 other guys on my team counting on me, as the best Tackle currently on the roster, to get out there and do my thing. TEAM.

That said, moving to RT for a season would NOT hinder Albert's ability to grow or get paid in the future as shown by the only other LT to RT conversion I can think of in recent memory (Tait). Every single GM out there knows that #76 is a LT. It shows he is a leader and does what is required when the team is in a jam. If I am a GM, that is a quality I would look for and pay for.

Me? If I were employed by a company who only hired 52 other guys and was asked to move... I sure as shit wouldn't have a period on social media then get pissy when I don't get support from others for doing so. I would try to act like a ****ing professional and take it up with the people who actually have a say instead of looking for affirmation from the god damned internet.

To be perfectly honest... had he not had his bitch fit on Twitter I would likely be in his corner.

Sorter 03-08-2013 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 9475911)
I would. Not because of 10m but because there are 52 other guys on my team counting on me, as the best Tackle currently on the roster, to get out there and do my thing. TEAM.

That said, moving to RT for a season would NOT hinder Albert's ability to grow or get paid in the future as shown by the only other LT to RT conversion I can think of in recent memory (Tait). Every single GM out there knows that #76 is a LT. It shows he is a leader and does what is required when the team is in a jam. If I am a GM, that is a quality I would look for and pay for.

Me? If I were employed by a company who only hired 52 other guys and was asked to move... I sure as shit wouldn't have a period on social media then get pissy when I don't get support from others for doing so. I would try to act like a ****ing professional and take it up with the people who actually have a say instead of looking for affirmation from the god damned internet.

To be perfectly honest... had he not had his bitch fit on Twitter I would likely be in his corner.

Normally, I'd agree. However, since Albert has been drafted, all he's ever heard about is how he should move to guard and now RT. After how he's produced in the past 3 years and the continual lack of respect he gets from nearly everyone outside of this website, he should be pissed off about people wanting him to change positions.

Additionally, the only tweet I saw from Albert before the deletion was him saying "Nope". Did he post something after that?

kcxiv 03-08-2013 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 9475581)

Exceptions to every rule. Is it a gamble he wants to take? I wouldn't. Not when it could be your last big contract. Go for broke.

pr_capone 03-08-2013 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9476032)
Normally, I'd agree. However, since Albert has been drafted, all he's ever heard about is how he should move to guard and now RT. After how he's produced in the past 3 years and the continual lack of respect he gets from nearly everyone outside of this website, he should be pissed off about people wanting him to change positions.

I don't have a problem with him demanding respect from the fans for being a legit LT. He is and he deserves the respect. Getting his feelings hurt because a bunch of, mostly, casual fans suggest he move to RT is weak.

That said... if Coach Reid tells him he is gonna play RT, he can either chose to not sign the tender and take his chances or be a team player and do his job. It read as if had he been told to play RT, would would have told the team to get bent.

Quote:

Additionally, the only tweet I saw from Albert before the deletion was him saying "Nope". Did he post something after that?
He had several tweets and re-tweets on the subject. Some in conversation with his followers and a bunch of retweets from people saying that moving him would be stupid.