ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV HBO greenlights A Game of Thrones pilot! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=196570)

Red Brooklyn 07-28-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 6903072)
Damn, this is great book. I may have to rethink my only reading on the train and toilet plan. :D

Yeah, dude, it's epic awesomeness. How are along are you? Because that book just keeps getting better and better. It never lets up.

Frazod 07-28-2010 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6903114)
Yeah, dude, it's epic awesomeness. How are along are you? Because that book just keeps getting better and better. It never lets up.

I'm up to the aftermath of Arya beating the crap out of the prince. I'm hoping for a Lannister bloodbath soon.

Red Brooklyn 07-28-2010 01:56 PM

I'm so excited for you! I wish I could read this book for the first time all over again.

Frazod 07-28-2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6903192)
I'm so excited for you! I wish I could read this book for the first time all over again.

It reminds me of Dune.

And that's a good thing.

Red Brooklyn 07-28-2010 02:08 PM

I need to read Dune. I've been meaning to get to it and I just keep finding other things, and bumping it further and further down my list. It might have to wait until I'm done with this series.

Just got back from the book store. A Clash Of Kings has now been purchased. Hopefully, I'll get to in the next couple of weeks.

Frazod 07-28-2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6903223)
I need to read Dune. I've been meaning to get to it and I just keep finding other things, and bumping it further and further down my list. It might have to wait until I'm done with this series.

Just got back from the book store. A Clash Of Kings has now been purchased. Hopefully, I'll get to in the next couple of weeks.

You really should bump that up on your list. Dune is a fantastic book and generally regarded as the best science fiction book of all time. DO NOT JUDGE IT BY THE SHIT-SUCKING MOVIE OR MINI-SERIES. I hope you have never seen them. If you haven't, DON'T.

Unfortunately, Herbert only hit it out of the park once. The series goes downhill fast. I have tried on occasion to get through the fourth installment many times over the past three decades, and have never been able to make it. The supplemental stories written by his son, Brian, based on his original notes, are generally entertaining, but none of them come close to the original masterwork.

Red Brooklyn 07-28-2010 03:26 PM

Cool, man. Thanks for the review. I'll bump it up. I have not seen the movie or the series.

Frazod 07-28-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6903417)
Cool, man. Thanks for the review. I'll bump it up. I have not seen the movie or the series.

That movie is a crime against humanity. :# Don't ever watch it.

Red Brooklyn 07-28-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 6903476)
That movie is a crime against humanity. :# Don't ever watch it.

:)

I can't promise you that, unfortunately. I'm a massive David Lynch fan. And the only reason I haven't watched the movie is because I was waiting to read the book first. One of these days I'll have to see it, if only to complete the collection. So to speak.

Frazod 07-28-2010 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6903480)
:)

I can't promise you that, unfortunately. I'm a massive David Lynch fan. And the only reason I haven't watched the movie is because I was waiting to read the book first. One of these days I'll have to see it, if only to complete the collection. So to speak.

You might not be a Lynch fan for long after you see what he did to one of the greatest books ever written.

Personally, I have never watched anything else he did after that. If the sonofabitch made a movie about me I wouldn't watch it.

Red Brooklyn 07-28-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 6903498)
You might not be a Lynch fan for long after you see what he did to one of the greatest books ever written.

Personally, I have never watched anything else he did after that. If the sonofabitch made a movie about me I wouldn't watch it.

ROFL

Huffmeister 07-28-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 6903380)
You really should bump that up on your list. Dune is a fantastic book and generally regarded as the best science fiction book of all time. DO NOT JUDGE IT BY THE SHIT-SUCKING MOVIE OR MINI-SERIES. I hope you have never seen them. If you haven't, DON'T.

Unfortunately, Herbert only hit it out of the park once. The series goes downhill fast. I have tried on occasion to get through the fourth installment many times over the past three decades, and have never been able to make it. The supplemental stories written by his son, Brian, based on his original notes, are generally entertaining, but none of them come close to the original masterwork.

That was pretty much my assessment of the Dune series. Dune is probably my favorite sci-fi novel. The second one wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible. I tried reading the third one but it just got way too weird. And from the synopses I've read of the rest of the series, it only gets weirder after that.

Oh, and they're remaking Dune AGAIN. Check it out:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1160419/

keg in kc 07-28-2010 05:36 PM

Ironically I made this post a few hours ago and apparently neglected to hit 'enter':

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 6903208)
It reminds me of Dune.

And that's a good thing.

I think that you'll discover that, unlike Dune, the books remain relatively true to the original as you go forward in the series. I know that, at least for me, Herbert's books (while still good) grow increasingly difficult to read the further away from Dune you get. Although, unfortunately, as we've mentioned earlier in the thread, the threat of a Chapterhouse: Dune situation is possible, where the author dies before he can finish the series (on a massive cliffhanger to boot).

Red Brooklyn 07-29-2010 08:21 AM

I hope he (Martin) is, at least, keeping notes or a writing journal or something. You would think HBO wouldn't have commited to the project unless they were confident that he'd finish, right?

Frazod 08-04-2010 08:23 AM

I'm nearly 2/3rds of the way through now. Great book. Dune is a great comparison to this. Things look pretty bleak for Ned right now - he's definitely giving off Duke Leto vibes.

Bowser 08-13-2010 01:39 AM

I'm doing the audio book version of this. The story has dramatically picked up; the sheer amount of backstory and character development drug on quite awhile, but it's getting good. Anyone else listened to the audio version?

Miles 08-13-2010 02:01 AM

[QUOTE=Bowser;6931360]I'm doing the audio book version of this. The story has dramatically picked up; the sheer amount of backstory and character development drug on quite awhile, but it's getting good. Anyone else listened to the audio version?[/QUOTE

I am guilty of listening to audiobooks quite a lot during my commute or working out. This series is pure literary crack on print.

TrickyNicky 08-13-2010 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 6931360)
I'm doing the audio book version of this. The story has dramatically picked up; the sheer amount of backstory and character development drug on quite awhile, but it's getting good. Anyone else listened to the audio version?

Yes. Roy Dotrice does a great job. Unfortunately his health wouldn't allow him to do the fourth audiobook.

Frazod 08-13-2010 08:29 AM

I'm about a third of the way through the second book. Wonderful story, although I do wish he wasn't quite so Stephen King-like with the minutiae.

TrickyNicky 08-13-2010 08:34 AM

Are you talking about the heraldry?

Red Brooklyn 08-13-2010 08:48 AM

Bah!

I haven't started book II yet. I need to get on it.

Huffmeister 08-13-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 6931533)
I'm about a third of the way through the second book. Wonderful story, although I do wish he wasn't quite so Stephen King-like with the minutiae.

Yeah, I thought it was always strange how Martin always goes into the complete menus of what people were having for breakfast/dinner.

Red Brooklyn 08-13-2010 01:40 PM

Sometimes it bothers me, but most of the time I think it adds to the depth of the world and to my involvement.

But you do have to wonder how many pages he could shave off these things by editing that shit down.

Bowser 08-14-2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickyNicky (Post 6931444)
Yes. Roy Dotrice does a great job. Unfortunately his health wouldn't allow him to do the fourth audiobook.

Agreed, he does a fantastic job of really bringing all the characters to life. Shame to hear he couldn't do the fourth book.

Bowser 08-14-2010 10:47 PM

This first book is a long sumbitch, and I'm doing it via CD. Engrossing as hell, though, even if the first third or so drug with the backstory. Thoroughly enjoying the experience.

Frazod 08-26-2010 07:43 AM

Just started the third book. This is some deep, twisted shit. Love it! :thumb:

Red Brooklyn 08-26-2010 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 6955423)
Just started the third book. This is some deep, twisted shit. Love it! :thumb:

You're on Book Three?!! Well, done, sir. I still haven't started Two yet. I'm about 200 pages from the end of the book I'm reading now. Then, Book Two. Hopefully, I'll have it started early next week.

I'm jonzin'.

Frazod 08-26-2010 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6955485)
You're on Book Three?!! Well, done, sir. I still haven't started Two yet. I'm about 200 pages from the end of the book I'm reading now. Then, Book Two. Hopefully, I'll have it started early next week.

I'm jonzin'.

I wish I read faster - the most frustrating part is getting so caught up in wondering what the hell's going to happen next to a certain character and then you get three chapters about other unrelated characters.

I'd have to say at this point that Tyrion's far and away my favorite character. He's awesome.

keg in kc 08-26-2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 6955512)
I wish I read faster - the most frustrating part is getting so caught up in wondering what the hell's going to happen next to a certain character and then you get three chapters about other unrelated characters.

I'd have to say at this point that Tyrion's far and away my favorite character. He's awesome.

You'll probably have some issues with the 4th book, because you completely lose touch with about half of the viewpoint characters.

Inherent problem with having three billion viewpoints...

Frazod 08-26-2010 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 6955517)
You'll probably have some issues with the 4th book, because you completely lose touch with about half of the viewpoint characters.

Inherent problem with having three billion viewpoints...

Can't say I'd mind if he dumped Sansa. I kept hoping she'd stab Joffrey in the throat with a cheese knife or something. She's wimpy and annoying.

keg in kc 08-26-2010 11:53 AM

Been a while since I read them, but I think Sansa was the only PoV character I didn't like.

NewChief 08-26-2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 6955765)
Been a while since I read them, but I think Sansa was the only PoV character I didn't like.

It wasn't even that I didn't like her. It was that I hated the ****ing bitch. I have a feeling, though... that she might redeem herself in the long run.

Red Brooklyn 08-26-2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6956130)
It wasn't even that I didn't like her. It was that I hated the ****ing bitch. I have a feeling, though... that she might redeem herself in the long run.

This was my feeling/hope after Book 1.

keg in kc 08-26-2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6956130)

What I meant was that I don't like her chapters. Those are the parts of ice and fire where I'm usually hoping we'll be getting to somebody else's PoV soon.

WoodDraw 08-26-2010 04:33 PM

Preemptive request here that everyone be careful with spoilers. I just started reading the first book, but I always pull up this thread to see news on the series.

Lurk 08-26-2010 07:16 PM

The third book is the best of the series, I thought. Sansa is annoying...so is Catelyn. I hated that dumb wench. Pretty much the whole damn series is a result of her idiocy.

Bowser 08-27-2010 10:39 AM

I'm about two thirds of the way through A Clash of Kings. A person could argue that there is way too much minutiae in the storytelling as frazod did, and they would be right, but I still find myself looking forward to each character's story. This has been a fantastic read (even though I'm listening to it on cd). Tricky Nicky was right earlier in the thread - Roy Dotrice does an excellent job narrating the story. For me, I it all the more interesting just for how he brings the characters to life. If you have the notion to listen to the cd's, I would definitely recommend it.

Bowser 08-27-2010 11:07 AM

And I see that Roy Dotrice is playing Grand Maester Pycelle. Excellent.

And for the sake of WoodDraw....
Spoiler!

Basileus777 08-27-2010 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 6958004)

He's not, Dotrice dropped the role b/c of health reasons. Julian Glover is playing Pycelle.

NewChief 08-27-2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 6958004)

And for the sake of WoodDraw....
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

keg in kc 08-27-2010 02:24 PM

Spoiler!

WoodDraw 08-29-2010 12:03 AM

Thanks to everyone for the spoiler friendlyness

What's the expectation that the series will be finished?

duncan_idaho 08-29-2010 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 6915801)
I'm nearly 2/3rds of the way through now. Great book. Dune is a great comparison to this. Things look pretty bleak for Ned right now - he's definitely giving off Duke Leto vibes.

The issue with Ned is that he ALWAYS plays by the rules. That's not how you win the Game of Thrones....

Bowser 08-29-2010 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6958283)
Spoiler!

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 6958285)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

TrickyNicky 08-29-2010 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 6961815)
Thanks to everyone for the spoiler friendlyness

What's the expectation that the series will be finished?

The stretch between book 3 and book 3.5 (approximately half of the planned fourth book) was 5 years. Its been past five years since the last release and it sounds like the second half is close to being done. I'm guessing we'll get a sixth book if we're lucky at this rate, and Daniel Abraham will finish the series if GRRM up and croaks, a la Sanderson and the Wheel of Time.

Red Brooklyn 08-29-2010 08:08 AM

I know Daniel Abraham is a writer who has worked with Martin, but what's his exact connection to the series? In what capacity has Abraham worked with Martin?

Red Brooklyn 08-29-2010 10:01 AM

I've officially started A Clash Of Kings. Just finished the Prologue. Exciting.

TrickyNicky 08-29-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6962178)
I know Daniel Abraham is a writer who has worked with Martin, but what's his exact connection to the series? In what capacity has Abraham worked with Martin?

He's a frequent collaborator and contributor to Martin's shared universe series, The Wild Cards. He co-authored Shadow Twin with Martin and Gardner Dozois. Martin was his instructor at the Clarion West Writers Workshop, and they currently live near each other in New Mexico. He has no official connection to the series, but I'm betting if Martin weren't able to finish, the publisher might go with Abraham.

Red Brooklyn 08-29-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickyNicky (Post 6962388)
He's a frequent collaborator and contributor to Martin's shared universe series, The Wild Cards. He co-authored Shadow Twin with Martin and Gardner Dozois. Martin was his instructor at the Clarion West Writers Workshop, and they currently live near each other in New Mexico. He has no official connection to the series, but I'm betting if Martin weren't able to finish, the publisher might go with Abraham.

Do we know if Abraham has any input in the HBO series? Writer? Producer? Etc...

Basileus777 08-29-2010 12:08 PM

I don't think Abraham would ever finish ASOIAF if Martin couldn't. I would bet the series would probably remain unfinished.

All this talk of Abraham reminds me that I need to finish reading An Autumn War.

Red Brooklyn 09-02-2010 02:46 PM

I'm about 150 pages into Clash. The Prologue was fantatsic. I feel like it's been a little slow going since. I'm still completely hooked and into the story, but it feels like it's treading water a bit.

I'm excited to see what happens with Jon beyond the Wall. Also really digging this Melisandre chick. I hope Martin makes the most of her potential. Tyrion continues to impress. Arya is developing nicely.

Hoping this thing picks up some steam in the next 150 pages, though.

TrickyNicky 09-02-2010 02:48 PM

keep truckin. The second half of Clash and all of Storm make it completely worth it.

Red Brooklyn 09-02-2010 02:52 PM

I figured as much. I remember the first bit of Thrones being a little slow and meticulous as well, and then it just exploded open. I'm still really enjoying the book.

WoodDraw 09-02-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6971744)
I'm about 150 pages into Clash. The Prologue was fantatsic. I feel like it's been a little slow going since. I'm still completely hooked and into the story, but it feels like it's treading water a bit.

I'm excited to see what happens with Jon beyond the Wall. Also really digging this Melisandre chick. I hope Martin makes the most of her potential. Tyrion continues to impress. Arya is developing nicely.

I'm around 550 now. Keep going, it picks up quickly.

I love the telling through multiple viewpoints, but you do get bored with some of them. I still read any Daenerys chapter only to get through it, and Sansa is a royal **** so far. Other characters I get annoyed with, but that's part of the story, right? He writes quite a bit of characters with heavy sarcasm which makes them hard to love right away, but that's good writing. Not everyone can be good or evil.

Red Brooklyn 09-03-2010 09:02 AM

I hear you, WoodDraw. Though, I actually love Daenerys.

Frazod 09-03-2010 09:10 AM

I'm about a third of the way through Storm of Swords.

Although I think it's probably better to think of this as just one big 3,000+ page book in four parts. The end of each book (so far) is no different than the end of any particular chapter.

Bowser 09-03-2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6971744)

Yeah, you're in for a treat. I'm a quarter or so into Storm of Swords, and to quote the hip kids these days - shit gets real. Lovin this series.

Bowser 09-03-2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 6973979)
I'm about a third of the way through Storm of Swords.

Although I think it's probably better to think of this as just one big 3,000+ page book in four parts. The end of each book (so far) is no different than the end of any particular chapter.

I'm doing the CD's, and Storm is 39 CD's long!

keg in kc 09-03-2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 6974568)

It's the longest epic fantasy title on audible, at 47 hours.

I'm about to buy one Brandon Sanderson just released that's 45 hours long.

Epic indeed.

Frazod 09-03-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

A CD would be cool right now - I'm driving to St. Louis later tonight, and it would be great to be able to listen to it. But I don't drive enough generally to justify the cost.

Red Brooklyn 09-04-2010 09:10 AM

I'm so interested to see an actor tackle Varys. What a fantstic role for an actor - and a fascinating character.

Is Conleth Hill cast? Is that official? The credit isn't listed on his official website. He's a brilliant actor who could really rock that part.

keg in kc 09-04-2010 03:10 PM

I believe he's Varys. I don't think that's changed.

Bowser 09-04-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 6975192)
A CD would be cool right now - I'm driving to St. Louis later tonight, and it would be great to be able to listen to it. But I don't drive enough generally to justify the cost.

The public library is your friend. ;)

Red Brooklyn 09-05-2010 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 6977147)
I believe he's Varys. I don't think that's changed.

:thumb:

Cool. He's gonna kill that part. Very exciting.

WoodDraw 09-06-2010 11:05 PM

I've just finished the first book. Can't wait to grab the 2nd.

Spoiler!

Red Brooklyn 09-08-2010 08:34 AM

Quote:

How do they pronounce "Tyrion" on the cd?

Frazod 09-08-2010 08:38 AM

I'm about half-way through the third book - the sonofabitch is over 1,100 pages long.

I should knock a good portion of that out today, though. I twisted my ankle this morning and am spending the day at home gimped up.

TrickyNicky 09-08-2010 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6986015)
How do they pronounce "Tyrion" on the cd?

Tear(drop)-ee-un

Bowser 09-08-2010 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 6986022)
I'm about half-way through the third book - the sonofabitch is over 1,100 pages long.

I should knock a good portion of that out today, though. I twisted my ankle this morning and am spending the day at home gimped up.

I think I'm about halfway through Swords, as well. What part are you on?

Red Brooklyn 09-08-2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickyNicky (Post 6986077)
Tear(drop)-ee-un

Awesome. Thank you.

Which syllable gets the emphasis?

Bowser 09-09-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6986438)
Awesome. Thank you.

Which syllable gets the emphasis?

The Tear part. TEER-ee-un.

Red Brooklyn 09-09-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 6988733)
The Tear part. TEER-ee-un.

That's what I figured. Thankee, sai.

Spicy McHaggis 09-09-2010 06:29 PM

Finished the series (or what is currently available) last spring. I was reading Feast for Crows in my local coffee shop and this random girl came up and said "Take your time with it. You'll be waiting a long time otherwise."

Should have listened.

Red Brooklyn 09-09-2010 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis (Post 6989636)
Finished the series (or what is currently available) last spring. I was reading Feast for Crows in my local coffee shop and this random girl came up and said "Take your time with it. You'll be waiting a long time otherwise."

Should have listened.

:D

Yeah, I've been in such a hurry to plow through.... but I think I'm going to take a break between 2 and 3. Read a few other novels first. I want to keep this going for a while.

Bowser 09-10-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis (Post 6989636)

Should have listened.

Huh. I'm about to finish Swords, and thinking about picking up Feast. This story is pure crack addiction. Maybe I should pace myself.....

Red Brooklyn 09-10-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 6991447)
Huh. I'm about to finish Swords, and thinking about picking up Feast. This story is pure crack addiction. Maybe I should pace myself.....

Do you think Swords is as superior to it's predecessors as others have alluded?

Bowser 09-10-2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6991451)
Do you think Swords is as superior to it's predecessors as others have alluded?

Yes. Games was very good, but it dragged for me in the beginning. There are a few moments where Swords lulls as well, but all in all, this book flies and is full of action. And man, the curveballs that get thrown into the storyline. Holy hell. That's part of the reason I don't think I can put off listening to Feast for Crows. :)

Clash of Kings kind of was somewhat like Game in that it was setting up the story as much as delving into the action. In Swords, there's no more back story (well, not too much), and just gets right to it.

Red Brooklyn 09-11-2010 08:34 AM

A'ite. I'm 536 pages into Clash Of Kings. It's true I found the first 150 pages to be a little slow and drawn out, though still interesting enough. I'm certainly glad I stayed with it (though, there was never really any doubt) because this thing has gained a lot of steam.

Bran's was my least favorite thread in the book and is quickly becoming my favorite. Martin's repitition in Bran's story early on was a master stroke in hindsight. The reader was as bored and frustrated as the character and now Bran's exploding open, and the reader joins him! The "green dreams" stuff is fantastic. Mysterious. Eerie. Imaginative. Great stuff.

Jon's story continues to pull me in. It's been one of the best threads from the start (of the series) and has yet to disappoint. Same with Arya's story. I really like her a lot. And Martin must as well because he gives her such great depth and sympathy. Most of the suspense and action has revolved around her. Though he's started spreading those elements around a little more. Which is great.

Body counts continue to rise. Dany's story has lost a little momentum. She's still interesting but there are other things to focus on, and rightly so. Sansa is meh.

Tyrion is becoming, by far, the most interesting character in the series - if he wasn't already. And I'm glad to see Catelyn still has some focus chapters. She wasn't around much in the beginning of this thing.

Anyway... super long post. Sorry. But I'm really loving this book now. It has caught up to it's predecessor. It is equally as good as Game Of Thrones. The darker aspects and the subtle introduction of the more magical elements could push this thing ahead of Game... perhaps... but it'll need a balls-out ending.

Can't wait!

Third Eye 09-12-2010 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6992839)
A'ite. I'm 536 pages into Clash Of Kings. It's true I found the first 150 pages to be a little slow and drawn out, though still interesting enough. I'm certainly glad I stayed with it (though, there was never really any doubt) because this thing has gained a lot of steam.

Bran's was my least favorite thread in the book and is quickly becoming my favorite. Martin's repitition in Bran's story early on was a master stroke in hindsight. The reader was as bored and frustrated as the character and now Bran's exploding open, and the reader joins him! The "green dreams" stuff is fantastic. Mysterious. Eerie. Imaginative. Great stuff.

Jon's story continues to pull me in. It's been one of the best threads from the start (of the series) and has yet to disappoint. Same with Arya's story. I really like her a lot. And Martin must as well because he gives her such great depth and sympathy. Most of the suspense and action has revolved around her. Though he's started spreading those elements around a little more. Which is great.

Body counts continue to rise. Dany's story has lost a little momentum. She's still interesting but there are other things to focus on, and rightly so. Sansa is meh.

Tyrion is becoming, by far, the most interesting character in the series - if he wasn't already. And I'm glad to see Catelyn still has some focus chapters. She wasn't around much in the beginning of this thing.

Anyway... super long post. Sorry. But I'm really loving this book now. It has caught up to it's predecessor. It is equally as good as Game Of Thrones. The darker aspects and the subtle introduction of the more magical elements could push this thing ahead of Game... perhaps... but it'll need a balls-out ending.

Can't wait!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lJmBPCYt5LY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lJmBPCYt5LY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

keg in kc 09-12-2010 04:40 PM

Martin says on his live journal that HBO's got some kind of game of thrones promo running with the true blood finale tonight.