ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop Driving vehicle without plates (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265754)

KCrockaholic 10-26-2012 05:34 PM

Driving vehicle without plates

I'm about to go pick up a car from a private seller. Therefore I won't be getting temporary plates obviously. I'll have the title, and I'll be printing off my proof of insurance within moments. I'll also have a Bill of Sale from the seller.

The DMV is closed Saturday and Sunday, which means I won't be able to get it registered until Monday.

But here's my question. In Kansas what are the laws regarding driving without plates either on the way home from a private seller, and is there a maximum number of days one could go without plates? In my case, I have things I need to do this weekend, and this will be my only car. Just wondering if I could get away with 2 days of driving without plates until the DMV is open.

Bump 10-26-2012 05:35 PM

probably not

SAUTO 10-26-2012 05:36 PM

Insurance is more important IMO.

Usually if you get that plates before court the prosecutor will drop charges
Posted via Mobile Device

TribalElder 10-26-2012 05:38 PM

Just put a piece of paper taped in the back window

N0P-L8S

Rain Man 10-26-2012 05:39 PM

Probably not.

When I bought the apricot BMW, I picked it up in Hays, Kansas, from a guy who lived in eastern Kansas. I couldn't get plates before I had the car, and the guy needed his plates back, and inexplicably there's no way to get a transit tag or whatever if you're buying it from an individual. I can't believe there's no system for that.

Anyway, I ended up talking to a state patrolman in Kansas asking for advice, because it seemed stupid to tow the thing and then have to fly home. He couldn't think of a way to do it, and we finally agreed that if I got a ticket, I would let the patrolman know that I had talked to this guy, and he would get the ticket waived. So if you're in transit, maybe you could do that, but if you're driving locally I doubt that they'll do that.

SAUTO 10-26-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 9052586)
Just put a piece of paper taped in the back window

N0P-L8S

Yeah don't listen to this guy.

Switched or bogus plates or bogus thirty day tags are worse than no plates.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Franchise 10-26-2012 05:40 PM

Go rent a car for the two days if you have that much driving around to do.

Dunit35 10-26-2012 05:41 PM

If you were in Oklahoma and I stopped you, as long as you showed me the bill of sale and insurance, I'd let you go.

bevischief 10-26-2012 05:41 PM

I drove a truck thru 3 states and was never stop.

KCrockaholic 10-26-2012 05:41 PM

I've heard that in Wisconsin you have a 3 day grace period in which you can drive your vehicle without plates. I just wasn't sure if Kansas had something similar.

SAUTO 10-26-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunit35 (Post 9052596)
If you were in Oklahoma and I stopped you, as long as you showed me the bill of sale and insurance, I'd let you go.

Most non assholes would do the same.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Flopnuts 10-26-2012 05:43 PM

****. I drove one in MO for days before I got tags. I had insurance, and a bill of sale, and frankly I see lots of people do it. Had no problems at all.

Dunit35 10-26-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9052602)
Most non assholes would do the same.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would still make contact, run it by VIN, make sure its not stolen.

Mr. Flopnuts 10-26-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunit35 (Post 9052613)
I would still make contact, run it by VIN, make sure its not stolen.

Reasonable. I actually had a great ****ing encounter with an Oklahoma State Patrolman in Miami, OK about a week ago. Those guys rock!

Bump 10-26-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunit35 (Post 9052596)

ya but there are some cops who would drag him out of his car, taze him, poop on his face and take him to jail.