ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs NFL Team Official: Michael Sam Is ‘Not A Really Good Athlete’ (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283541)

R8RFAN 05-09-2014 01:20 PM

NFL Team Official: Michael Sam Is ‘Not A Really Good Athlete’

ST. LOUIS (CBS St. Louis) — It could be a very long weekend for Michael Sam.
The openly gay football player from the University of Missouri is hoping an NFL team takes a chance and makes history by drafting him, but some experts believe he might end up being an undrafted free agent.
Scouts told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that they don’t see Sam’s game transitioning to the NFL.
“Most of his production was hustle stuff,” an NFC personnel official told the Journal Sentinel. “There’s production, but he’s short, he’s not a really good athlete and he doesn’t play good against the run.”
He continued: “He’s kind of a one-task pass rusher. Just run up the field. And they swallow him up and kind of push him around.”
One NFC personnel director stated that Sam doesn’t have a position in the league.
“He’s not a linebacker, and he’s really not a defensive end,” the personnel director told the Journal Sentinel. “I’d certainly take him to camp. You’ve got to admire how hard he plays.”
An AFC executive said Sam was “short and slow.” Sam stands at 6 feet 2 inches and weighs 262 pounds.
Despite the potential setbacks, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is hoping to see Sam succeed in the league.
“I want to see Michael Sam get an opportunity to play in the NFL,” Goodell told ESPN Thursday before the first round of the NFL Draft. “We like to say the NFL is the ultimate meritocracy. If you can play football, they want to see you play. The teams want you. The fans want you. And that’s ultimately what it’s all about.”
Goodell continued: “I have great respect for Michael, his courage, his decision to become public, and I’m optimistic that he’s going to get that opportunity, and hopefully he can play at this level.”
Sam, who was the SEC’s Defensive Player of the Year, will be the first openly active gay player in the league.
http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2014/05/...-good-athlete/

Bewbies 05-09-2014 01:22 PM

I hope he ends up in KC.

htismaqe 05-09-2014 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 10615342)
I hope he ends up in KC.

We have absolutely no need for him.

hometeam 05-09-2014 01:25 PM

THIS IS NEW INFORMATION

Bewbies 05-09-2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10615350)
We have absolutely no need for him.

I also hope he's good. If he's good, there's always room for pass rushers.

R8RFAN 05-09-2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10615355)
THIS IS NEW INFORMATION

Glad I could help you

R8RFAN 05-09-2014 01:27 PM

Wonder if they find out who those owners/execs are... Will they be forced to quit or sell their teams?

OldSchool 05-09-2014 01:27 PM

Lol, and the media is going to blame the fact that he goes undrafted on his sexuality. IN reality, he's going to go undrafted because he's not a very good athlete in a draft class that's packed full of great athletes.

jspchief 05-09-2014 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rd&48ers (Post 10615359)
Wonder if they find out who those owners/execs are... Will they be forced to quit or sell their teams?

wut

htismaqe 05-09-2014 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 10615356)
I also hope he's good. If he's good, there's always room for pass rushers.

There's really no reason to think that he'll be anything more than camp fodder for whatever team gets him. His skill set just doesn't translate well to the NFL.

brorth 05-09-2014 01:29 PM

Openly active gay player? WTF?

Tombstone RJ 05-09-2014 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 10615342)
I hope he ends up in KC.

so do I

Mr. Kotter 05-09-2014 01:36 PM

Does anyone other than Mizzou fans and gay activists REALLY give a shit about this...?

Seriously? :spock:

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10615360)
Lol, and the media is going to blame the fact that he goes undrafted on his sexuality. IN reality, he's going to go undrafted because he's not a very good athlete in a draft class that's packed full of great athletes.

THIS

WhiteWhale 05-09-2014 01:54 PM

He'll be in training camp somewhere next year.

The guy was never projected to be a high pick anyway and it was all the same reasons. I think he will get drafted simply because in spite of his athletic shortcomings there is a precedent for guys with mediocre measurables who hustle their way to becoming good pass rushers.

R8RFAN 05-09-2014 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 10615369)
so do I

Me Too.. Preferably with their 3rd round pick :clap: