ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Gretz On Cassel: Surviving The Process (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=233265)

AirForceChief 09-11-2010 10:51 AM

Gretz On Cassel: Surviving The Process

Well written, even handed article from Bob Gretz:

There’s one thing that Matt Cassel knows, and if he doesn’t then somebody should give him the information.

Len Dawson was booed by Chiefs fans. Terry Bradshaw was booed by Steelers fans. John Elway was booed by Broncos fans. Insert name of Hall of Fame quarterback and he was booed by fans of the insert name team he played for during his career.

There were some Chiefs fans back in the day that believed Dawson didn’t take enough chances with his passes, that he threw short dinks and dunks and that he did not go down the field as much as he could have, especially since he was calling the plays. His career completion percentage of 57.1 percent, his career average of 7.7 yards per attempt and his 237 TD passes to 178 interceptions look like pretty good numbers now.

But in the day, some Chiefs followers were unhappy and they let Dawson know it, firing verbal assaults from the stands at both Municipal and Arrowhead Stadiums.

That’s a simple fact of life for an NFL starting quarterback. The scene gets played out over and over around the league. Guys like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady have escaped it so far, but their careers are not over yet. They still have plenty of opportunities to throw interceptions or badly timed incompletions that will raise the vocal hackles of their fan base.

Cassel reiterated the other day that he does not read papers, watch TV sports or listen to sports talk radio. I’m sure he doesn’t spend any time on Internet sites or web forums.

“I just try to block it out,” Cassel said this week. “That is something that goes along with this job. You are always going to be tested and there is always going to be scrutiny and there is always going to be somebody saying, ‘hey, he is not good enough. He can’t do this, he can’t do that.’

“I have a job to do and right now my job is to be the quarterback of this team. I am going to go out and work hard and do everything I need to do to be productive on the field.”

If one were to take the denunciations of Cassel that have poured forth through all those media portals that he does not pay attention to, then one could make the assumption Cassel and his position as the team’s starting quarterback engenders no confidence in the Chiefs and the team’s future.

But caution should prevail in making that leap. Some unimpressed media types and a few callers to sports talk radio or posters to Internet sites do not constitute a majority of Chiefs fans. Not everyone has written him off after 15 starts for the team. While it might be more accurate to say he has not been embraced by the Chiefs Nation as a whole, it’s a stretch to paint him as the latest failure among franchise quarterbacks.

Chiefs fans for decades now have screamed and complained about the team not drafting and developing their own quarterback. Based on some of the reaction to Cassel, it’s obvious those who bled red and gold would have no more patience with a young guy than an inexperienced quarterback who came from another team. They would chew him up and spit him out in a matter of years.

And that’s the pisser in this whole thing. No position on the field requires more patience in developing a contributing player than quarterback. In fact all the other positions combined may not require the patience needed to find that franchise quarterback. Yet, it’s the position where the media, fans and even the teams struggle to deal with growth and development. It takes time to become a good quarterback, but impatience generally stops the clock dead in its tracks.

The other day Todd Haley said that as far as he’s concerned no spot on the roster is ranks ahead of another. “The inside backer in the base defense is no more important than a gunner on the punt team,” Haley said. “The more our guys think that way, the better for us.”

It’s all well and good if that kind of thinking can be created within a locker room. But everybody in that room knows, as does the head coach and his staff, the GM and his staff and the ownership family, that there is one player that IS more important, and that’s the starting quarterback.

Whether he’s a so-called franchise QB, a care-taker, a game-manager, a rookie thrown to the wolves or a grizzled veteran playing out his final NFL days, the starting quarterback is the most important player on any pro football team. No other player has a greater effect on winning or losing than the guy taking the snaps.

Consider this for a moment – Todd Haley was willing to jettison his offensive coordinator last year just 10 days before the start of the regular season because he knew the situation wasn’t going to work with Chan Gailey. Do you think if Haley thought for a minute that Cassel wasn’t up to the task, that the only quarterback the Chiefs added in the off-season would have been Tyler Palko?

Asked for areas where he’s seen improvement from his starting quarterback and Haley gets pretty vague. But Friday he identified an area that while simple, is one of the most important elements for the success of a starting quarterback.

“When he comes off the field, what he says he saw generally ends up being what it was,” Haley said. “I think that’s a real good quality to have. Even subtle things within a game, you’ll say to him why did you do this, and he’ll say this linebacker did this, the receiver stumbled, or that receiver was short, the safety did this.

“Generally it’s pretty spot on what he sees. He sees the whole field. That was something that Kurt (Warner) was phenomenal at. A quarterback has to have great vision. Matt sees what’s happening.”

Today’s game is built around the quarterbacks, and the teams that have great ones do everything they can to keep them and provide them with weapons. Those that don’t have the top-line quarterbacks are constantly searching for a player who can play the position well enough that he’s not an impediment to winning.

These are all facts of football life. Head coaches and the quarterbacks themselves know it better than anybody, but they seldom will address or recognize that point in public. The pressure is tough enough without adding more fuel to the fire with your own hose.

That’s why if you’ve listened to any of Cassel’s press conferences over the last two seasons you know that they were filled with clichés, pat and rehearsed answers, and few moments of real insight of him, the position or the team. That’s all done on purpose. Cassel can’t do anything about his name being in the headlines, but he can make sure it’s not there because of something that came out of his mouth.

Still, every so often a bit of the real Cassel leaks out. The competitor in him sneaks out of the cage and makes an appearance before he’s coaxed back into the shadows. It happened this week when Cassel was asked if he likes to prove critics wrong.

“It is always nice to have that happen but at the same time, I don’t play this game for the people that are against me and think that I can’t do it,” said Cassel. “I play the game for the people that have always believed in me. I play that game for my family, for my wife, for my mother so it really comes down to that. There are going to be people, no matter where you go or what you do, there are going to be people who look at you and say, ‘you can’t do it’.”

The tone of his voice, the jut of his jaw and the fire in his eyes as he answered the question gave away the fact that while it’s not the No. 1 motivating factor for him, the chance to show everyone he can be a successful NFL quarterback – including the naysayers – is part of what drives him.

At this point in time, we don’t know where Matt Cassel’s future will take him or the Chiefs. There have been flashes of talent and skill that indicate he has some of the necessary qualities. There have also been moments when his failures have indicated he’s not nearly consistent enough right now to lead a team to a winning season.

That’s what makes the Monday night game against San Diego so important. It’s a benchmark for the team, but especially for Cassel. Last year, the Chargers rolled into Arrowhead Stadium in October and embarrassed the Chiefs and made Cassel look very bad. San Diego won by 30 points and Cassel completed just 10 of 25 passes (40 percent) for 97 yards (3.88 yards per attempt), one TD and three interceptions. It produced a passer rating of 25.3, one of his lowest ratings of the season and his 30 games as an NFL starting quarterback.

Cassel did not get much in the way of help in that first meeting with the Chargers. He was sacked five times, the offense generated just 203 total yards and Bobby Wade was the leading receiver, catching four passes for 66 yards.

The second time the teams met last season was not much better, as the Chargers won by 29 points in San Diego. Cassel was marginally better, hitting 19 of 31 passes (61.3 percent) for 178 yards (5.74 yards per attempt), one TD and one interception.

“Once you start winning ball games and you start playing well and the team starts playing well that takes care of itself,” Cassel said.

Monday night is but one leg of a 16-segment marathon for the Chiefs and Cassel. As he was quick to say the other day, “It is week one of 16 games. I don’t think this is our Super Bowl,” Cassel said.

But it’s a huge night for Matt Cassel, because it’s a huge season for him. He must establish that he has the consistency and the ability to lead the Chiefs to winning performances. The time is now.

Ming the Merciless 09-11-2010 10:52 AM

inb4 "its a process"

DeezNutz 09-11-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirForceChief (Post 6992972)
Do you think if Haley thought for a minute that Cassel wasn’t up to the task, that the only quarterback the Chiefs added in the off-season would have been Tyler Palko?

Laughable logic.

Crush 09-11-2010 10:58 AM

The Process by Stephen King

Like all of King's books, the ending is going to suck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man 09-11-2010 11:00 AM

We've been going vanilla to hide the unparalleled incredibleness that will soon come to be known as "Offense on Speed". This is that moment where the rocket hasn't started moving yet, but the smoke from the thrusters is starting to billow out around it. Godspeed, Matt Cassel, and we'll see you on splashdown in Canton.

KCUnited 09-11-2010 11:01 AM

Cassel completed 3 passes for 7 yards in the time it took to read that.

DJ's left nut 09-11-2010 11:10 AM

WTF is 'evenhanded' about that slurp-job?

Comparing Matt Cassel to Len Dawson or Joe Montana in an attempt to soften the blow of 70,000 people calling him a bum is pathetic.

Matt Cassel is a Piece of Shit ©.

Brock 09-11-2010 11:14 AM

I sure hope I'm wrong.

DaneMcCloud 09-11-2010 11:15 AM

Easily the worst article by Gretz since Peterson's firing.

What a load of horseshit.

Marcellus 09-11-2010 11:20 AM

I agree with Gretz that this fan base would have little patience with a rookie QB.

I know Cassel is not a rookie, bla,bla, bla but he has really only had 2 seasons as a starter and everybody already knows they have him figured out at what his ceiling is, me included.

If we drafted a rookie he better make the PB by year 3 or he will be getting the Cassel treatment from half the fans and would be getting the Croyle treatment from the other half.

FYI- Croyle treatment equals pining for and exaggerating the skills of a guy who has never shown anything special on the field but is loved simply because he is a QB and we drafted him.

DJ's left nut 09-11-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6993019)
Easily the worst article by Gretz since Peterson's firing.

What a load of horseshit.

What? You don't find nuggets like this piece of overwritten trash to be 'even-handed'?

Quote:

The tone of his voice, the jut of his jaw and the fire in his eyes as he answered the question gave away the fact that while it’s not the No. 1 motivating factor for him, the chance to show everyone he can be a successful NFL quarterback – including the naysayers – is part of what drives him.
That's arguably as bad as any article I have ever seen.

DeezNutz 09-11-2010 11:24 AM

Ironically, Petro was killing Cassel yesterday for being a bitch in pressers. Suggested that this was a window into his demeanor in the huddle.

Chiefs Pantalones 09-11-2010 11:24 AM

Blah, blah, blah. Some people are supportive of him, some are wanting to hang him right now. All this talk is pointless, both that are for him and against him. We won't really know until the season plays out if he's got franchise credentials or not. Period.

DJ's left nut 09-11-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 6993027)
If we drafted a rookie he better make the PB by year 3 or he will be getting the Cassel treatment from half the fans and would be getting the Croyle treatment from the other half.

"And I know this based on the time we drafted....well...well there was that time that...but...shit"

I'm so tired of hearing this - we haven't made a strong bet on a young quarterback in 25 years --- A QUARTER OF A CENTURY --- and I'm supposed to listen to someone tell me that the fans wouldn't give one a chance.

Just exactly WTF do you base that on?

It's all CYA all the time with this guy. Cassel's terrible and THAT'S why the fans boo him. He's inaccurate, he's skittish, he's flat out bad.

If this franchise ever drafted and developed a young quarterback, he would be the most popular KC sports figure since George Brett. Kansas City is dying for a quarterback and jokers like you and Gretz are still hiding behind the same tired dogma that Peterson hamstrung the franchise with for 2 decades.

Sure-Oz 09-11-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 6993029)
What? You don't find nuggets like this piece of overwritten trash to be 'even-handed'?

That's arguably as bad as any article I have ever seen.

LOL Cassel looks like a deer with headlights flashed at him....