ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Chip Kelly is close to a deal to become the Browns coach (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268497)

O.city 01-04-2013 05:46 PM

Will Burge ‏@WillBurge
Source in #Browns organization told me that just over a week ago Colt McCoy was told by Joe Banner he is "in the next head coach's plans"

GoChargers 01-04-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9281835)
im not saying Ian Poopnshit is correct, but what the hell are some of these teams with a head coaching vacancy doing? who are they waiting on

there are like NO good options out there besides the potential of Chip Kelly and maybe what? Hoping you can convince Jon Gruden? Who else is there? You are going to get a fired coach in Lovie Smith or Ken Wisenhunt regardless.

How the Eagles and Cardinals and Chargers are just hanging out losing out to Chip Kelly to the potential shitpile crappy Browns is hilarious to me

Can't speak for other teams but the Chargers are interviewing GM candidates right now.

I'd rather have Zimmer or Vic Fangio than Chip.

Ultra Peanut 01-04-2013 05:47 PM

Oregon has been my second-favorite college football team since 1998, but: YAAAY! Now hire Chris Petersen, Ducks!

htismaqe 01-04-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9282021)
I wanted him. Still want him more than Reid, but I'm super happy with Reid.

I'm not ready for the risk. I was this close --><-- to just saying "**** it" and walking away for good.

I don't want to see experiments right now. I want to see them build up a consistent winner and get to a Super Bowl soon.

OnTheWarpath15 01-04-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9281991)
Chip Kelly wasn't even on my list, let alone #1.

His spread offense isn't going to work in the NFL. It's predicated on running the ball and having a massive speed differential between his guys and the opponent. The playing field is too level in the NFL.

Chock full of truthiness.

htismaqe 01-04-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9282027)
Will Burge ‏@WillBurge
Source in #Browns organization told me that just over a week ago Colt McCoy was told by Joe Banner he is "in the next head coach's plans"

That doesn't make much sense. Why would Chip want Colt? He's a spread QB but not exactly in the Chip Kelly mold...

O.city 01-04-2013 05:49 PM

The reason I dont' see his spread being a fit, is that when you have guys who can dominate the you up front and make it go sideways, you can stop the run. But his passing game is exciting.

Bewbies 01-04-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9282026)
That puts a lot of pressure on the defense. He's going to have to temper it some, I think.

Maybe. If he has a great D the pressure is really put on the other team.

Interesting hire, I'll enjoy watching to see how he pans out.

GoChargers 01-04-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultra Peanut (Post 9282032)
Oregon has been my second-favorite college football team since 1998, but: YAAAY! Now hire Chris Petersen, Ducks!

Oregon has already said that they will promote their offensive coordinator to HC if Chip really leaves.

I doubt Petersen ever leaves Boise at this point.

O.city 01-04-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9282037)
That doesn't make much sense. Why would Chip want Colt? He's a spread QB but not exactly in the Chip Kelly mold...

I liked him at Oregon, but from his interviews and other stuff, I see a little Pioli in him.

"You couldn't get this to work, but my way will, not your way, my way. "

ThaVirus 01-04-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 9281910)
Hope he works out, would love to meet the Browns in the postseason soon.

We suck against the Browns.. ill pass.

Would love to see them make the playoffs next season though.

Mother****erJones 01-04-2013 05:56 PM

He's gona have to incorporate some wildcat

chiefzilla1501 01-04-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9282011)
I don't either.

But like they were talking about on the telecast last night, he offense isn't going to determine success or failure in the NFL anyway.

Being an effective NFL head coach is SO much more than X's and O's.

Well, you know my criticism of Arians, that I think he's an X's and O's guy but not a big fan of him as head coach. From a coaching standpoint, Kelly is as good as it gets. Everything I've heard is he's incredibly organized, runs an incredible practice, and he's a guy who knows how to be tough to his players while still earning their respect. I wouldn't think him to be an interesting option unless he can do those things.

On the X's and O's... you have to assume he isn't going to be creative about making that NFL-oriented. That's where he's boom/bust. Maybe he can't scheme an NFL offense. It really sounds to me like he's pretty brilliant of an offensive mind, so I think he'll adapt to the game. And you wonder if he'll choose an offensive coordinator who can help counsel Kelly if his scheme gets too radical.

Great hire for the Brownies. It's the pick you make when you gamble -- they chose not to play it safe, and it could pay some huge dividends for them. Worst case scenario, the experiment doesn't work and 3 years from now, you have a team that's fast and ready for the spread but needs a scheme adjustment.

chiefzilla1501 01-04-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9282045)
I liked him at Oregon, but from his interviews and other stuff, I see a little Pioli in him.

"You couldn't get this to work, but my way will, not your way, my way. "

I could see that. A lot of danger in giving him that much control over personnel, which is what he wants. I still have a feeling that Kelly, unlike Pioli, will actually adapt his game whereas Pioli's problem was that he tried to force-fit the only thing he knew.

O.city 01-04-2013 06:00 PM

A question I have is taht when he's coached a team thats physically matched, his system seems to be quelled.