ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Latest NFL Draft Countdown Mock...updated today (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=114312)

htismaqe 04-16-2005 07:56 PM

Latest NFL Draft Countdown Mock...updated today

Jones Rolle and Rogers all go top 10...

They have us taking Shawn Merriman...

the Talking Can 04-16-2005 08:02 PM

ewww...

LiL stumppy 04-16-2005 08:03 PM

Meh,if we sing Surtain we need a LB,if we don't we need a CB.Not a DE.

the Talking Can 04-16-2005 08:03 PM

I don't doubt Merriman can be a good player, I doubt the ability of our coaches to utilize his talents.

htismaqe 04-16-2005 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiL stumpy
Meh,if we sing Surtain we need a LB,if we don't we need a CB.Not a DE.

We could use an OLB. We could also use a DE.

The problem is that Merriman is really NEITHER. Merriman is best-suited to play in a system like Bill Parcells' IMO. In fact, I think Parcells may pick him, looking at him much like he did Willie McGinest.

beer bacon 04-16-2005 08:06 PM

I must be a freak. I like Merriman.

htismaqe 04-16-2005 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beer bacon
I must be a freak. I like Merriman.

You're not a freak.

It's not that Merriman isn't a good player. He's a VERY good player.

He's just not the right player for the Chiefs. We have specific needs at CB, OLB, and DE and we play a 4-3 defense. Merriman is not the right player for us.

booger 04-16-2005 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufusmaqe
We could use an OLB. We could also use a DE.

The problem is that Merriman is really NEITHER. Merriman is best-suited to play in a system like Bill Parcells' IMO. In fact, I think Parcells may pick him, looking at him much like he did Willie McGinest.

Or John Abraham

I just don't see him playing OLB at 274 lbs and IMO may is strickly a DE when it comes to the 4-3 D. He sounds like an amazing athlete with a ton of football skills though. IIRC, CP stated after his Maryland workout he beleived he would have to play with his hand on the ground.

Maybe a SSLB or MLB for us, either way he would have to drop some weight. Either that or a long term replacement for Hicks at LDE or move Allen to LE and Merriman at RDE. Not likely with the signing of Hall.

I don't see him sliding to us though, no way IMO. I could see him going as high as 6th to Tenn, with Min, Wash, Det, Dallas, SD, Tex, all being likely spots as well.

booger 04-16-2005 08:13 PM

Quote:

You're not a freak.

He's just not the right player for the Chiefs. We have specific needs at CB, OLB, and DE and we play a 4-3 defense. Merriman is not the right player for us.

:thumb:

Exactly. Awesome player, just hard to place him in our D.

beer bacon 04-16-2005 08:13 PM

Quote:

You're not a freak.

I don't see how he will drop anyways. If he does drop to 15 could it be another Alex Smithesque situation where we could a good deal trading down to somebody that really wants him?

booger 04-16-2005 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beer bacon
I don't see how he will drop anyways. If he does drop to 15 could it be another Alex Smithesque situation where we could a good deal trading down to somebody that really wants him?

Good point.

get another 2 or 3 and slide down for a shot at Marlin Jackson or Kevin Burnett. :thumb:

shaneo69 04-16-2005 08:18 PM

I think Merriman could be another Simeon Rice. Rice was also a 3-4 OLB in college.

I think we could find a spot for him.

htismaqe 04-16-2005 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booger
Good point.

get another 2 or 3 and slide down for a shot at Marlin Jackson or Kevin Burnett. :thumb:

I've lost my enthusiasm for Kevin Burnett. The more I watch his highlights and read his reports, the more he reminds me of Keyaron Fox...

htismaqe 04-16-2005 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaneo69
I think Merriman could be another Simeon Rice. Rice was also a 3-4 OLB in college.

You evidently have more faith in our coaches than I do. With our coaches, he'd likely end up just like Monty Beisel.

the Talking Can 04-16-2005 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaneo69

when you put it that way he sounds more appealing....I just want a real DE, not a 3-4 rush end type...despite what people say about pollacks arms etc., the guy has produced consistently and imho he'll be a DE in the pros...